About "we don't want trading too easy" in the last PODCAST

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I have said before that I believe trading should be difficult, but in terms of skill, not tedium.

Because trade is an person-to-person activity, what that means and must mean is: trade winners and trade losers.

A post above this one has, in bold, that an economy can avoid scams, flipping, and market manipulation if designed a certain way. Perhaps so, but would that actually be better?

Getting "scammed" usually means you willingly accepted a trade you later came to realize wasn't as even as you initially thought, so if skill applies to trading then players feeling "scammed" is inevitable. (A very small minority of "scams" are legitimately unethical; for the remainder of this post, I use "scam" to refer to regrettable transactions which had mutual agreement at the time.)

Flipping is trading something away for more than you gave to get it; if skill-based trading is to ever reward its traders past the limited scope of gear for their builds and currency for their maps, then flipping is a necessary part of that system.

If market manipulation isn't clever trading, I don't know what is.

I get it: you don't play Path of Exile to do PvP, regardless of how PvP manifests itself. Fortunately for you, most traders are in the same boat and trying to cooperate with you. But others aren't in the same boat, but just outside it; they're sharks. They want to nibble at you, feed off of you.

And that, right there, is difficulty in trading. Not the kind created by sheer boredom and tedium, but a difficulty not too unlike the difficulties of well-designed PvE. They're out to get you; don't let them.

Noobs get their asses handed to them - PvE or trade, doesn't matter. Seasoned players are a little more savvy but still get rekt occasionally - PvE or trade, doesn't matter.

If I could wave a wand and magically Increase the amount of scamming, flipping, and market manipulation opportunities in Path of Exile, I would. And among the principle reasons I'm against automated buyouts is because I know even more unskilled, naive buyers would be able to trade for the item they want without risk of getting scammed through completely voluntary mutual agreement.

If this would intimidate you into not trading, that's the point. Trade and farming should be balanced against each other, with risks to each, so neither becomes the predominant wealth acquisition method. Some of you are supposed to say "fuck trading" and give up on it, perhaps just for a little while, perhaps longer.

Thank you, scammers, for scam. You're the line of defense between PoE trade and D3-style risk-free trading.

You are roleplaying while trading which i applaud and fully support but You keep rambling using the words "trading" "skill" and "scam". A simple automation would change nothing to the relevance of those words regarding trading in poe(not that i think they have any). There is no scam in trading because both parties are willing. Flipping isnt a scam or clever, you can do it for all i care. A buyout automation wou;ld change nothing other than make it less painful to use.

As of right now if you want to purposely get bad price you CAN use the trade channel where everything is literally 1ex overpriced(low roll go for 1ex and on poe.trade the same goes for 1alch). If you use poe.trade you get the item you want at the price you want. Automating anything would change nothing other than not force you to log into the game when you are not playing for either buying or hoping to sell. We wont be getting afk messages either because we wont have to be logged while we do other things.

Trading tabs removed the first barriers that scared people away from the game. The time consuming use of the forum to list items, or the use third party program. Theres also the brain melting insanity of the trade channel but why anyone would use it is beyond me.

The trading Tabs have helped tremendously. Theres one last step to be taken, allow people to buy when there is a buyout when the seller is not online.
Last edited by DAYLEET on Apr 13, 2016, 2:51:22 AM
"
Nephalim wrote:
The existing trade improvements alone are enough to suffice for a while.

GGG really needed to implement this a year earlier and we would have seen a lot more people stick around. This, along with loot filters have vastly improved QoL and its a damn shame it took so long. Can anyone even feasibly imagine playing poe with out these 2 things at this point? People had to suffer through forum trading and shitty loot overload for 2 years.

I wish they had prioritized these 2 things over things like uber atziri and Act 4.

We also had to play without poe.trade before it was created. Could you imagine that? :)
what chris said makes absolutely sense, is obvious.

Lets just make up a non existent player to work as an example in the manner of the op, also a player who has come across walls but for different reasons. This player was getting stuck on difficulty walls and not progressing partly because he wasnt trading, now with much more access to gear when he starts trading he gets past those walls, plays more, sees more of the game.

Ok, thats positive, why is there any problem with that?

Well before cadiro came to this game I could start a self found version of any build I would normally play and get into maps, farm them with ease. I would come across no walls at all in progression, neither would the majority of people I play with. Its not even difficult, mildly challenging at points. This is because I understand the game and how to build characters, Im no expert Im just well versed in what items I can expect to find and what I can do with them.

So you dont need gear to get past walls, you need to get better at the game. What happens is that instead of getting better at the game, understanding what they are doing wrong, if you just give people easy access to op gear that any crap build played badly can 'beat' the walls of legitimate challenge with then you just make a joke out of the game. There is no difficulty, no need to play or build well, the game just plays itself. So to have a game with integrity and actual challenge like all games should have then you need to make the game harder so that the bad builds start to get stuck again. This makes the game unreasonably hard for the players who are still not trading and want to play self found and also removes all the advantage the player in the example was getting from the op gear. Its purely negative, its not a good thing, where it ends up is in no way positive.

This game is always going to be a more punishing game self found and more faceroll when trading, its finding the balance of difficulty that makes both styles legit while being fun and rewarding at the same time. The easier trading is, the larger the gap between the 2, the harder it is to find a balance. That is what he said and it should be absolutely obvious to everyone that he is right, he shouldnt even need to tell you.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

Well before cadiro came to this game I could start a self found version of any build I would normally play and get into maps, farm them with ease. I would come across no walls at all in progression, neither would the majority of people I play with. Its not even difficult, mildly challenging at points. This is because I understand the game and how to build characters, Im no expert Im just well versed in what items I can expect to find and what I can do with them.

So you dont need gear to get past walls, you need to get better at the game. What happens is that instead of getting better at the game, understanding what they are doing wrong, if you just give people easy access to op gear that any crap build played badly can 'beat' the walls of legitimate challenge with then you just make a joke out of the game. There is no difficulty, no need to play or build well, the game just plays itself. So to have a game with integrity and actual challenge like all games should have then you need to make the game harder so that the bad builds start to get stuck again. This makes the game unreasonably hard for the players who are still not trading and want to play self found and also removes all the advantage the player in the example was getting from the op gear. Its purely negative, its not a good thing, where it ends up is in no way positive.

This game is always going to be a more punishing game self found and more faceroll when trading, its finding the balance of difficulty that makes both styles legit while being fun and rewarding at the same time. The easier trading is, the larger the gap between the 2, the harder it is to find a balance. That is what he said and it should be absolutely obvious to everyone that he is right, he shouldnt even need to tell you.

Get Cadiro out of this thread already, this isnt an economy league thread.

You whole argument(self-found vs the world) is already invalid now that we have both poe.trade(easy buy) AND trade tabs(easy sell). And unless you have a broken build like voltaic the game will always be challenging and especially more for new players. Not sure why Chris play the fear campain, other than clear dev for other task.

Before trade tabs: it was easy to find what you needed with poe.trade
After trade tabs: It's also easy to sell your stuff.

But there is still much room for simple improvement that does not impact the game economy more than now. The dreaded "player is AFK" message needs to go and only a buyout system can do that. You can't blame people for logging and doing other stuff or looking away, it's what the system wants you to do right now.

Is anyone still not clear on why temporary league economy(cadiro+increased drop) has nothing to do with ingame trading being faster rather than a time waster?
top rmters don't want it easy cause it cuts into there profits.
"
momonami5 wrote:
Technically yes, because a parasite is only as strong as its host. Making PoE a shit game isn't in their best interest.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 13, 2016, 7:51:08 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
momonami5 wrote:
Technically yes, because a parasite is only as strong as its host. Making PoE a shit game isn't in their best interest.

However that change would make PoE an even better game, so everybody wins besides the RMTers
It's so heartbreaking to see so many uniques worth so little. It is reaching critical mass. The drop rates, the clear speed, the increased supply, and Brodio. Oh sure, buying any amazing unique for 20c is good, but the point of these games is to have a drop excite you. Right now, that is relegated to an exalt since most other uniques that drop are worth a lot less.

I'm game for easier trading if the game goes back to be hard as fuck or perhaps the drop rates are reduced.
"
ivkoto77777 wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
momonami5 wrote:
However that change would make PoE an even better game, so everybody wins besides the RMTers
The exact opposite of what I was saying.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Lol most trades in this game are already copy-pasting poe.trade's pre-made whisper and maybe saying thanks or a variant of it after exchanging items. All an ah would change interaction wise is not needing to filter out everyone offline if you are in a hurry.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info