About "we don't want trading too easy" in the last PODCAST

Well, understanding Chris the the State of Exile podcasts, he wants the self found play style to be a legit way of playing. He doesn't want the trading play style to be WAY more effective than the self found play style. This balance is EXTREMELY difficult, as any improvement to trading is making the gap between the play styles bigger.

You may say "playing self found is a choice", and not a human being on this earth would disagree with you. But it is still a vary popular play style, catered by a lot of people. Trading isn't a more legit way of playing than self found. So both play styles need to be addressed in this equation. An AH would widen the gap, no questions about it.

Do I have any ideas? No, not serious ones. Bot on a non-serious note, I could see the enjoyment of "rampage" style drop system. The longer you play/farm without doing a trade, the better your drop rates would be. Reaching 70 without trade would give you a minor buff to IIQ/IIR. And for every 5 levels or so, this minor buff would increase.

That would be fun.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
logosys wrote:
My few thoughts about AH.

We already have AH, just without in-game UI (user interface) and without trade automation.
Instead of full-blown AH with in-game UI, I'd like to see more trade improvements, to make it less hassle. I think that's ultimate goal of AH in the end, to make trade less time consuming.
Public stashes and their API was great quick-win move, my guildies who never traded before started to sell things just because it's easier now.
Suggested changes:
1) Extend API to expose stash identifier and item coordinates within its stash for each exported item.

2) Change trade mechanism so trade can be initiated without need for characters to be in close vicinity and items can be transferred from seller's stash directly to buyer's inventory.

3) Implement support for {trade stash="id" x="x" y="y" /} tag/link into chat system, similar to current {link /} (or {item /} is it? Don't remember) for item links. Once sent to seller of an item from a buyer by @whisper, the recipient (seller) could click on link to initiate current in-game trade dialog with sender of link (buyer). The trade dialog would have item from given stash and given coords filled in as offer from seller. The trade would commence as it's currently implemented.

After these changes, poe.trade site would be able to generate whispers with {trade /} links for exact items.
The seller wouldn't have to form party with buyer (no Cadiro scams, map invasions, etc.).
The seller wouldn't have to leave whatever he is doing (find safe spot and click on link, no more "sry in lab atm").

Other implications from this suggested trade mechanism, I'll leave to a reader :) Like need to drop items on ground in map once inventory of seller is full and few stacks of currency should be received as payment. Unless, transfer of payment to seller's stash would be implemented as well...

I think, these changes could make trade even less time consuming for both sides, seller and buyer, and raise the number of trades completed as seller would not have to interrupt whatever he is doing with losses (map portals, lab progression, etc.).

All good ideas that can coexist with a set price system with instant sell/buy which is what we need ultimately as the game keep getting more complex.

"
Phrazz wrote:
Well, understanding Chris the the State of Exile podcasts, he wants the self found play style to be a legit way of playing.

Both Self-Found and Traders are personal choices, how can one be more legit than the other?

"
Phrazz wrote:
He doesn't want the trading play style to be WAY more effective than the self found play style. This balance is EXTREMELY difficult, as any improvement to trading is making the gap between the play styles bigger.

"Effective" and "efficient" are two dirty words when it comes to recreational entertainment. Let the streamers and their cattle worry about what's more effective and efficient. There is fun and not fun. What is more fun for a self found? Finding his stuff or trading for it? The answer is obvious, finding his own stuff is more gratifying.

For me it's more fun to be able to buy the item i want because im then free to try any build i want without the hassle of finding weird piece of gear that ill never find anyway.

"
Phrazz wrote:

You may say "playing self found is a choice", and not a human being on this earth would disagree with you. But it is still a vary popular play style, catered by a lot of people.

self found is the 1% of the 1%, they are the hardcore players of the hardcore players. Don't confound people who don't want the current hassle of trading with true self-found people. See how trading exploded when it was made a wee bit easier with trading tabs.

I played self found up to this league only because trading was too much trouble. Since open beta, my Successful trading attempt amounted to maybe 10 times not counting the lending from friends. It was toxic and i hated that. It got easier over times and the trading tabs were the threshold for me to keep me twice as much in game. Easier trading makes the game more fun for me because im not a self-found guy even thought records could show i was 99% self found.

Now i trade. Many more people have just left already like i used to do, because their threshold have not been met. The people you call self-found, aren't really, they just have better things to do with their times and sooner rather than alter it's playing another game, been there done that(for the last 3 years)

"
Phrazz wrote:
Trading isn't a more legit way of playing than self found.

Ofcourse not it's a choice, need that be reiterated?

"
Phrazz wrote:
An AH would widen the gap, no questions about it.

There is no gap to be found, we already have an AH and it could use improvement.

"
DAYLEET wrote:
GGG is willing to learn, they have proven this many time over. With adjusting the points pack, at first they weren't all equal in value but people weren't happy about that. Then regular stash tab sales is another example. They sell more with lower prices and people are more inclined to stay longer when they have a bit of cash in the game. They did a lot of things they weren't supposed to do, lockstep and ingame trading are other examples. And now we have the most popular league where people can play for fun and try more stuff that they can hope for.

So don't dismiss GGG and rather, let them know how much better this league is for you. Maybe they will wait to see how low the next league population drop before making a move but im sure they will make a move.

I hope your optimism in GGG dev wisdom carries over to the next league in June. I truly would like to see Perandus stay in Wraeclast as a permanent resident. But if you have listened to the State of Exile Podcast #51 you can't come away with a good feeling that Perandus will be here to buy build enabling gear from in the next league. Chris clearly stated that Cadiro was an experiment and is not likely to stay in PoE permanently. Maybe Cadiro will make a token appearance after this league ends but the amount of access we currently have to him will go away. To me once the genie is out of the bottle and we have gotten some great gear that allows us to play new and wonderful "extremely fun to play" builds that we couldn't afford before Perandus League (either in time cost or currency cost) no one (very few) will be happy going back to playing PoE pre-Perandus and GGG should know this (probably they do but Chris certainly didn't say anything in the podcast to instill any confidence). As always we won't know until a few days before the next league starts what we will be getting but knowing GGGs track record I fear that the current state of good gear will get a big nerf (GGG will exile Cadiro Perandus out of Wraeclast).
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Trading is fucking awful
Trading is fucking awful
Trading is fucking awful
Trading is fucking awful
Trading is fucking awful

Holy fucking SHIT trading is AWFUL.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Phrazz wrote:
Well, understanding Chris the the State of Exile podcasts, he wants the self found play style to be a legit way of playing. He doesn't want the trading play style to be WAY more effective than the self found play style.

Really? Could have fooled me. It's like he wants 99.999% of all rares to roll bad and wants trading to be THE way to gear.
"
"
Phrazz wrote:
Well, understanding Chris the the State of Exile podcasts, he wants the self found play style to be a legit way of playing. He doesn't want the trading play style to be WAY more effective than the self found play style.

Really? Could have fooled me. It's like he wants 99.999% of all rares to roll bad and wants trading to be THE way to gear.

I agree!

Rare drops in PoE is maybe its biggest flaw. We all do the chaos recipe, because we know the chance of getting an item worth keeping is ~0. I've been playing self found for years - on and off - farming Atziri and high tier maps. And my unique finds is almost always better than my rare finds - in most slots, especially chests, shields and phys weapons. And I have ~0 T1 uniques.

In4 "Ahahahahaha, you want end game rares to rain from the sky"

No, I don't. But I want the drop rate of a Soul Taker equal rare to be as frequent as a Soul Taker.

And we're talking end game here. Leveling from 0-70 isn't that bad for Self Found players. But upgrades after dinging 70? 80? Uniques.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Apr 27, 2016, 9:34:50 AM
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
"
Phrazz wrote:

I agree!

Rare drops in PoE is maybe its biggest flaw. We all do the chaos recipe, because we know the chance of getting an item worth keeping is ~0. I've been playing self found for years - on and off - farming Atziri and high tier maps. And my unique finds is almost always better than my rare finds - in most slots, especially chests, shields and phys weapons. And I have ~0 T1 uniques.

In4 "Ahahahahaha, you want end game rares to rain from the sky"

No, I don't. But I want the drop rate of a Soul Taker equal rare to be as frequent as a Soul Taker.

And we're talking end game here. Leveling from 0-70 isn't that bad for Self Found players. But upgrades after dinging 70? 80? Uniques.

We had our easy item acquisition Perandus league. I would like to have a league that does the opposite this next season. They can test the economy and player-base that way, after seeing both ends of the spectrum.
"
Do I have any ideas? No, not serious ones. Bot on a non-serious note, I could see the enjoyment of "rampage" style drop system. The longer you play/farm without doing a trade, the better your drop rates would be. Reaching 70 without trade would give you a minor buff to IIQ/IIR. And for every 5 levels or so, this minor buff would increase.

This is not actually a bad mechanic to implement.

Though I would adjust some mechanics-

IIQ at the moment just increases the chances of MORE stuff.

IIR increases the rarity of the stuff.

How about an increase in quality of dropped items stat based on length of time since last unique was dropped for player?

So you have been farming for 5 hours since last unique dropped you would have a 50% adjustment in the quality of all drops (not rarity). So a tri resist boots would start at 50% of possible instead of 0% for example.

Instead of 1-50 it would automatically adjust up to 25-50%.

Still RNG on what pops on items but the longer you go without a unique drop the higher the quality goes until at 10 hours every rare or unique is going to be absolutely capped.

Obviously the hours etc are just out of thin air-mechanically they would have to adjust them.

Could also have an ever increasing drop rate buff based on time farmed without unique.

Obviously some people are never going to even get past an hour without reseting their timer, and others will indeed reach that cap.

If trading is intended to be painful then obviously there needs to be a way for the player to get past gear chokepoints.
Was never a big fan of the idea of a consignment merchant or AH as people like to call it, but with the addition of the Labyrinth, an area you can't just leave for a trade, they really need some way to trade that doesn't involve the seller having to quit doing what they're doing.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Was never a big fan of the idea of a consignment merchant or AH as people like to call it, but with the addition of the Labyrinth, an area you can't just leave for a trade, they really need some way to trade that doesn't involve the seller having to quit doing what they're doing.
Got you covered.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info