[2.3 Video Guide] CoC, Quill Rain, INSANE DPS Assassin [HC/SC Viable]

"
The idea behind this build is solid but some of the choices are perplexing, tbh.
Spoiler

Yes, Quill Rain gives up to 100% increased projectile speed and Drillneck will increase the damage a good bit based on that, but using spells like Ethereal Knives and Spark is a huge waste of potential. I think it's a mistake to focus on the projectiles. EK especiallly is a single hit skill and Spark is unreliable.

Bladefall and Glacial Cascade on the other hand are many times more powerful in combination. Run a six link with [Bow proc skill of choice][Inc. Crit Strikes][Controlled destruction/Conc. Effect (bosses if you want)][Cast on Crit][Bladefall][Glacial Cascade]. You'll do many times more damage, ESPECIALLY boss damage. Either one clears the map like crazy. The entire Drillneck setup and damage increase is worth far less than the basic mechanics of Glacial Cascade and especially Bladefall, both of which will hit from 2-4 times on average per spell. My version of this build also allows for 200-214% life and 85% crit with only thrown together gear (and that 85% is with controlled destruction).

I also don't really find Frenzy charges to be worth it. You already attack insanely fast and can get to 5 attacks/s without much trouble. Sure, a small amount of "more" damage is nice, but endurance charges are way more useful, especially before you get a decent Lightning Coil (or whatever you're using).

I'd also strongly recommend 5-6linking your bow, as it's a required part of the build. Gives you a lot of flexibility in the chest and you don't actually need a second six link. Many quality chests are cheap with you want less than 5 or 6 links.

Also, Ambush is extremely questionable. Your bow skill is wasting it half the time and it's not adding particularly much. Toxic Delivery is never not useful.

This build works dmg wise up to t15 - had 0 issues with WIP gear and 1 6 link only.

What the issue is here is that a lot of people fell for the promise the reflect is not a problem. Feelsbadman... Should have gone for this BV char :(
You can also just run a curse on hit/rain of arrows (you can do both at once) Warlord's Mark. Assassin's Mark curse on hit is a waste of time. 1) things have to die, doesn't really work on bosses 2) you get the PC you need just by attacking most of the time (especially once they are already up) 3) A PCOC-Orb of Storms setup is super easy and effective, will keep charges up on bosses, and keep them shocked. It will also generate 7 charges from 0 instantly on a pack (and shock and freeze them).
"
4nthraxx wrote:
"
The idea behind this build is solid but some of the choices are perplexing, tbh.
Spoiler

Yes, Quill Rain gives up to 100% increased projectile speed and Drillneck will increase the damage a good bit based on that, but using spells like Ethereal Knives and Spark is a huge waste of potential. I think it's a mistake to focus on the projectiles. EK especiallly is a single hit skill and Spark is unreliable.

Bladefall and Glacial Cascade on the other hand are many times more powerful in combination. Run a six link with [Bow proc skill of choice][Inc. Crit Strikes][Controlled destruction/Conc. Effect (bosses if you want)][Cast on Crit][Bladefall][Glacial Cascade]. You'll do many times more damage, ESPECIALLY boss damage. Either one clears the map like crazy. The entire Drillneck setup and damage increase is worth far less than the basic mechanics of Glacial Cascade and especially Bladefall, both of which will hit from 2-4 times on average per spell. My version of this build also allows for 200-214% life and 85% crit with only thrown together gear (and that 85% is with controlled destruction).

I also don't really find Frenzy charges to be worth it. You already attack insanely fast and can get to 5 attacks/s without much trouble. Sure, a small amount of "more" damage is nice, but endurance charges are way more useful, especially before you get a decent Lightning Coil (or whatever you're using).

I'd also strongly recommend 5-6linking your bow, as it's a required part of the build. Gives you a lot of flexibility in the chest and you don't actually need a second six link. Many quality chests are cheap with you want less than 5 or 6 links.

Also, Ambush is extremely questionable. Your bow skill is wasting it half the time and it's not adding particularly much. Toxic Delivery is never not useful.

This build works dmg wise up to t15 - had 0 issues with WIP gear and 1 6 link only.

What the issue is here is that a lot of people fell for the promise the reflect is not a problem. Feelsbadman... Should have gone for this BV char :(

And Bladefall/GC will do a LOT more damage. Which if you're worried about reflect might actually be worse! lol. But yes.. reflect is always going to be an issue, but it can be avoided or worked around.

BV? Blade Vortex? I dunno, I've done a few. Extremely powerful but extremely tedious to manage the stacks. I really can't play it long term. If you're wanting a build that never has to worry about reflect and destroys the game just go easy mode with Voltaxic LA.

I find it unbelievable that they took the time to nerf The Consuming Dark and left Voltaxic alone with 1) Voltaxic builds are faster and stronger and 2) It only takes 1 item, not 2. I mean... this is Blizzard level WTF (I'm sure they'll get to nerfing it next patch...).

Or any totem build hah. Especially Chieftain RF totems. Insane damage, even totems completely immune to reflect.
Last edited by The_Planck_Energy on Mar 21, 2016, 11:05:16 PM
The_Planck_Energy

Post build
http://poeplanner.com/AAAABAYBJ7DYotlR2bCS_5MWvyaVYeJVS4w2idNwUioLXfIrChEvDkjjhA3RY0MbyM_d8Yo2PZ2qbIxirLTFwuwFtY2_1CNRR-dUJP3_3jB8jX0j9k2SEZYHHpUu8NVJUX_GkyfviPk3189JsWwLIvRtGQj0wFRqQ7zql_RSUz1fl5VMsyBuUDDbXgQHHwKD9xEtfIPr7prgRZ1TUjLRRUfAZgSzogDwHzwF73yf35o7gpvsOIV7ZlQ62CcvkFUaOClPa7eFfeQiGmw26SSqFm_jahzcjxrQH-_rN9TtP4PbVcY6WDIyEJLZhrxvhKJMjg==

Something like this for level 90. You could drop some hp for more acrobatics, or try to fit more damage in somewhere (or maybe you don't have five awesome jewels). If you have a six link with controlled destruction you might swap out 3 nodes for the Annihilation notable to make up the lost crit (but you'd still be at like 75% if you didn't).

Also, maybe at very high levels, accuracy becomes an issue. I don't know, I'm not super high yet. But there are 2 accuracy clusters directly along the path if it becomes necessary. You may also want to not pick up the last power charge and use an alternate routing to Purity of Flesh.

I went Oak - kill all - Alira for bandits. Though to be honest Kraityn might have been the better choice in Cruel.

All I know is this setup gives me ~85% bow and spell crit at max charges while wearing a Ming's Heart (I am using the Ice Golem) and a truckload of HP and close to 5 aps. I also have 30 chaos resist due to the Heart. I was considering EK the last gem in a six slot but Concentrated Effect and Controlled Destruction are definitely far better. TBH I kinda consider spells that don't reliably multihit to be garbage.

Glacial Cascade has always been one of the most visually impressive skills in the game and it's pretty glorious watching them spam everywhere. If you link Tornado Shot into your COC setup they really go wild in all directions.

There's a multihit-ground slam COC build floating around that uses these spells, but I prefer the advantages that range confers if possible. I sort of pieced this together from both. With just the natural AOE increase from the passive tree both spells hit across the entire visible screen. Subbing in Conc. Effect on tough bosses would ensure maximum multihits and provides a bit more raw damage than controlled destruction anyway.
Last edited by The_Planck_Energy on Mar 22, 2016, 2:16:09 AM
Wouldn't surgebinders be ideal for this build with 6 power charges and frenzy charges and 3 endurance charges if you swap curses?
Hi Liftingnerd, thank you for the guide. Are you able to update the build on how players can upgrade to play higher end content? Thank you.

Maybe some different gems, defensive/offensive links, gear, etc. Thanks.
"
Kiszh wrote:
Wouldn't surgebinders be ideal for this build with 6 power charges and frenzy charges and 3 endurance charges if you swap curses?

it says steals charges. doesn't that mean you have to have charges on enemy to get any? not very reliable
Considering physical reflect i replace Ethereal Knives with Slower Projectiles and while that lowers the DPS of the build alot i ve had no issue with phys reflect.
Same goes with eleme reflect replacing Spark
"
Oxidizerr wrote:
Considering physical reflect i replace Ethereal Knives with Slower Projectiles and while that lowers the DPS of the build alot i ve had no issue with phys reflect.
Same goes with eleme reflect replacing Spark

you are better off putting a second phys or elemental spell when you are doing that. slower projectiles is what 30% or something more damage? second skill is 100% more damage. and looks cooler/more consistent

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info