Occultist ascendancy is amazing

"
raics wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
Such a diverse and powerful class.

If it entered the game as it is, it would be batshit broken, but so would assassin and pathfider, so I guess we'll have to reevaluate them in the proper context. Well, pathfinder will probably still be broken as hell.

GGG has dug themselves into a hole. Either nerf the classes upon release or nerf the player to compensate.

Either ways the next 4 months will be a balance mess but it will be a fun balance mess and PoE desperately needs a fun mess.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
ya a fun mess which will be frustrating for all characters, unless you already have a lvl 90 char of each class, and possibly two of them.

right now im wincing at the coming changes and nerfs because it may mean i need to re-level a couple new characters to get the real ascendancy tree i need and desire, depending on the nerfs.

occultist does look super amazing though. i honestly don't think assassin looks overpowered anymore. sure great you get more crit chance, wonderful for you. builds will still do just as well with 50% crit chance instead of 95%, but they have all of these extra things to consider with occultist and pathfinder.

what i really hope they do not do, is nerf curses to a point where if you want to use curses your basically pigeon-held to being an occultist. or nerf crit to a point where if you want a crit build you have to be an assassin. and lastly nerf flasks to a point where the only way to incorporate them into your build is to be pathfinder.

that really WILL destroy build diversity, so i don't really see that happening to the point we could expect based on the power of these ascendancy trees.

occultist. daaaamn that looks very enticing. profane bloom, forbidden power and either malediction, void beacon or wicked ward. wow. incredible.
profane bloom and abyssal cry. 18% max hp as chaos damage. dude that is straight up craaaazy. not going to be amazing for single target but you'll clear every pack instantly guaranteed.
"
xMustard wrote:

what i really hope they do not do, is nerf curses to a point where if you want to use curses your basically pigeon-held to being an occultist. or nerf crit to a point where if you want a crit build you have to be an assassin. and lastly nerf flasks to a point where the only way to incorporate them into your build is to be pathfinder.

that really WILL destroy build diversity, so i don't really see that happening to the point we could expect based on the power of these ascendancy trees.

That is exactly what will happen.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Nephalim wrote:
That is exactly what will happen.

Sure, that would be the easiest way to make ascendancy classes amazing and impactful. However, the line between 'extremely helpful' and 'absolutely necessary' isn't a mathematical one after all, it has certain width and some even claim it gets blurry on a nice sunny day. Who knows, they might get lucky and hit it.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
if thats what will happen this game turns in to every other mmo type of game with set classes etc. that would REALLY suck and really turn me off from this game, personally.

but oh my dear god in heaven i just came up with an AMAZING build ideal for occultist. roflrofl holy fuck. i really hope they nerf the shit out of poison or else im going to absolutely eat the shit out of all the content in this game. hahahahahahaha

raising up a new character now. booyah
Can anyone explain to me how is this subclass even strong?

Forbidden Power-Isn't there a lot of way to generate free power charges in the game right now? I know Skyforth is expensive, but then that means whether this subclass is considered strong depends on whether one is rich enough to buy skyforth. Even if you do get this skill, you need to stack it with other abilities as 10% is really low for poor players who are still stuck with 7% critical strike chance weapons.So you still need something like SKyforth for a proper Power charge build.

Malediction-I remember half a year ago nobody gives a damn about curses because bosses are hardly affected by curses and one curse immunity monster group is enough to delay the clearance of an entire area. I don't believe even blasphemy has suddenly made curses great.

Vile Bastion-I do not give a damn about any in-game bonuses that only come after killing a monster. This is because the current stage of the game is full of buffs as such and once you meet a fat boss that you cannot kill within a few seconds, all your buffs time up and you suddenly die due to nakedness. The whole reason voll devotion is such an expensive unique is because it is one of the only buffs that do not have much of a pre-requisite to trigger. It merely requires charges to be consumed by your hit, not necessarily on monster kill. Have you people wondered why voll devotion is expensive despite so many other ways to generate endurance charges?

Profane bloom-Converting a heavy strike to infernal blow with a bit of bonus damage. There is no big deal in that.

Wicked ward and Void Beacon-These are the only two with potential exploits. Time wicked ward with immortal call to attain permanent invulnerability.
The right side is what excites me most. I heavily agree with you about on kill effects. Don't fit my preferred playstyle at all. I think the curse branch could be interesting if it were 10% damage per curse (i.e. 50% with 5 curses) but sadly it doesn't seem that way and left side of this class seems underwhelming to me as well. (I like the design of the curse branch though)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
Deadpeng wrote:

Forbidden Power-Isn't there a lot of way to generate free power charges in the game right now? I know Skyforth is expensive, but then that means whether this subclass is considered strong depends on whether one is rich enough to buy skyforth. Even if you do get this skill, you need to stack it with other abilities as 10% is really low for poor players who are still stuck with 7% critical strike chance weapons.So you still need something like SKyforth for a proper Power charge build.

Malediction-I remember half a year ago nobody gives a damn about curses because bosses are hardly affected by curses and one curse immunity monster group is enough to delay the clearance of an entire area. I don't believe even blasphemy has suddenly made curses great.

Vile Bastion-I do not give a damn about any in-game bonuses that only come after killing a monster. This is because the current stage of the game is full of buffs as such and once you meet a fat boss that you cannot kill within a few seconds, all your buffs time up and you suddenly die due to nakedness. The whole reason voll devotion is such an expensive unique is because it is one of the only buffs that do not have much of a pre-requisite to trigger. It merely requires charges to be consumed by your hit, not necessarily on monster kill. Have you people wondered why voll devotion is expensive despite so many other ways to generate endurance charges?

Profane bloom-Converting a heavy strike to infernal blow with a bit of bonus damage. There is no big deal in that.

Wicked ward and Void Beacon-These are the only two with potential exploits. Time wicked ward with immortal call to attain permanent invulnerability.

Generating power charges without needing kills is amazing in prolonged fights which is really when its most useful. It's also +1 charges. HoI and HoT will fail on curse or status immune maps.

Proc on kill is the backbone of these asc classes- if you aren't utilizing them then you're probably not running an optimized build built around 1 shotting whites and killing bosses in 4 seconds.

Curses are a big deal because of blasphemy, but i hate a build that gets gimped so hard on curse immune maps.

This class is basically skyforth lite without the disgusting price tag.
"
Deadpeng wrote:

you sum it up yourself. you don't think, you don't think. you're not interested in, etc.

personally i see a lot of power synergy with this ascendancy. malediction im not overly interested in either, i mean 4s is really not a long time, but could be good depending on your build/mobility. the extra curse here is really the thing. but you do make a valid point, curses are 60% effective vs bosses....eh that does...suck.

you don't give a damn about kill bonuses, thats great.

profane bloom is just straight up amazing. you get a free more powerful abyssal cry. this makes you awesome at AoE without setting up any AoE, especially in conjunction with abyssal cry.

void beacon is also just awesome. wicked ward too if ES is incorporated in your build and such.

i will personally probably spec out profane bloom, void beacon and forbidden power for my 6 points in this ascendancy tree

"
adghar wrote:
The right side is what excites me most. I heavily agree with you about on kill effects. Don't fit my preferred playstyle at all. I think the curse branch could be interesting if it were 10% damage per curse (i.e. 50% with 5 curses) but sadly it doesn't seem that way and left side of this class seems underwhelming to me as well. (I like the design of the curse branch though)

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Doedre's_Scorn

upwards of 20% inc damage per curse
Last edited by xMustard on Feb 11, 2016, 9:16:25 PM
"

Generating power charges without needing kills is amazing in prolonged fights which is really when its most useful. It's also +1 charges. HoI and HoT will fail on curse or status immune maps.

I think Deadpeng recognizes your first point because that was the whole point of his diatribe on on kill effects lol. Even still, it remains that that node is still just 10%pcoc, or at max 9.5% chance on hit, and more realistically about 4-6 chance on hit. Also known as 1 in 20. 1 in 20 Skill Uses seems like you'd need a silly amount of cast speed to benefit from the node, or stack with PCOC gem, which would be enough all by itself anyways.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info