THOR'S RAINBOWNUKE: off to the Marauder forum

So, the new Witch Ascendancy called "Occultist" just got released today. I do have to leave in a bit, but I figured I'd link to the tree picture that has been done up so we can all look at the passives that they give (the big nodes anyway). So, here it is:

Spoiler

Note, open the spoiler up if you want to see it full-sized, or just follow the link here: http://imgur.com/WOo4rUb if you'd like to view it in another window. I'll be back later to give my thoughts on it.
One thing immediatelly popped into my head when I saw that new tree and that is vile bastion + fracture map = huge regen. Maybe it wiuld be good idea to get that one talisman that causes mobs spawn adds for tougher boss fights to get that regen too. This might get me back to this build. I kinda backed up because my survivability wasn't all that good compared to life crit version that I am running
The Occultist Sub-Class is a very strong choice for this build.

Free Double Curse = Being able to run a secondary curse to increase damage output (via elemental weakness) or to Improve Survival (temp chains or enfeeble)

Free Mob Explosions = Better Clear Speed and Faster Mapping

Free +100 Max ES = More Survival
Yeah Occultist is probably the class for witches on this build. Honestly, I'm still disappointed with the Witch classes, though. No super powerful spell/elemental synergy class.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Just another reason why Elementist is a bad sub-class.

It is confirmed that triggered gems (e.g. via mjolner) will not proc the 20% penetration. Hence, the elementalist is almost completely useless to this build.

Occultist is clearly the way to go if you are playing witch.
Last edited by iSo1iD on Feb 12, 2016, 4:47:43 AM
Yup, looks like Elementalist isn't going to be a good choice at all, which is a shame, but the Occultist is definitely looking to be the way to go for this one. Just based on what we know for now and what we have to work with, I would say these classes/Ascendancies are going to be viable for this build:

1. Duelist -> Champion
2. Witch -> Occultist
3. Templar -> Guardian/Inquisitor
4. Ranger -> Pathfinder (Life variant)

Of course, this can all change when we get the final pass to the Ascendancy classes, but from what I am seeing and have poked around with, those are going to be the most likely choices. And as for Scion...well...gotta see what she'll get. :p
Hi

I just wanted to post my take on the build. I'm too lazy to create my own thread so I'll just leave it here and really recommend you to try it before flasks become nerfed. This takes the build to a whole new level.

It'a basicly MaxFactors/Ghudda flask build added to Mjölner. Also dropping Blood Magic keystone as it's a waste of passives (IMO)

My take on the build :

Spoiler
Gear :
Spoiler
You only need 5 link Shavs and the corruption on the belt was just pure luck. 16% Less Flask charges used is the only mandatory mod on the belt so we have 3 uses on the utility flasks..

Tree:

Stats :
Spoiler

I use Discipline, Purity of Fire, Purity of Lightning, Haste, Arctic Armor and Blasphemy - Warlords Mark as auras. The instant leech from Warlord's Mark and Vinktar flask is insane.
3.3 RF Trickster SSF HC guide :

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147256
Last edited by Rusherboy on Feb 12, 2016, 12:58:25 PM
"
Rusherboy wrote:
Hi

I just wanted to post my take on the build. I'm too lazy to create my own thread so I'll just leave it here and really recommend you to try it before flasks become nerfed. This takes the build to a whole new level.

It'a basicly MaxFactors/Ghudda flask build added to Mjölner. Also dropping Blood Magic keystone as it's a waste of passives (IMO)

My take on the build :

Spoiler
Gear :
Spoiler
You only need 5 link Shavs and the corruption on the belt was just pure luck. 16% Less Flask charges used is the only mandatory mod on the belt so we have 3 uses on the utility flasks..

Tree:

Stats :
Spoiler

I use Discipline, Purity of Fire, Purity of Lightning, Haste, Arctic Armor and Blasphemy - Warlords Mark as auras. The instant leech from Warlord's Mark and Vinktar flask is insane.

Interesting variant, though it's going to be overall weaker due to the lack of auras. I doubt the physical mitigation from rumis/taste is going to be sufficient to enable you to do the few bosses like core malachai which are ordinarily problematic for the build due to the high phys damage (since the build is not crit and cannot sustain the flasks), so it seems to me that this variant gives up a good bit of damage for no meaningful defensive gain; hard for me to see what situation this build would be safer in than the "normal" variant of the OP.

Might be a very good candidate for specializing into the Pathfinder ascendancy class though so that rumis/taste can be sustained and buffed more easily.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Feb 12, 2016, 3:07:12 PM
Since I have been PMed quite a few times on what set-up a crit rainbownuke variation would be like. I have decided to post my personnel variation here. Disclaimer: I do not advocate the use of Crit Mjolner Builds as I feel that they are largely lackluster and are too inconsistent, I will touch more on this later. To optimize such a build simply costs too much investment.

General Aim of a Crit Mjolner Build:

Spoiler
1) Maximize Spell Crit Chance, Whilst Minimizing Attack Crit Chance

2) Get Sufficient Crit Multiplier

3) Pick Up Sufficient Accuracy

Gearing:

Spoiler

Passives:

Pros & Cons:

Spoiler

+) 20% More DPS than regular rainbownuke (potentially)
+) Instant Leech From Acuity
+) More Ignite & Shock
+) Crit Flask Recharge

-) Much Less Energy Shield
-) Extremely Inconsistent
-) More likely to die
-) Cost to Output ratio is very bad

Final Evaluation:

Spoiler
Yes, going crit can increase this build's damage by a significant amount, BUT it is not by that huge a margin and you will only see this benefit with sufficient gear investment. Furthermore, you trade off consistency for damage. Basically, in most situations, crit mjolner will not deal more damage than a regular mjolner build. Why? Well basically, discharge will on average, have less power charges to use. Additionally, in order to build crit, you sacrifice a lot of basic damage increasing nodes and your forgo the ability to use the Repentance Unique Gloves. SO your base damage of your dsicharge and arc is much lower. Then comes the next issue, your discharge does not crit as fequently as you would want it too. Even with a perfect spell crit shield and a perfect crit ring, you will only have around a 60% crit chance (with all 4 power charges). Most of your discharges, will only between 1-2 power charges. Most of the time, my map clear speed is slower with the crit variation. Only in boss fights do I see a damage benefit through self-refilling crit flasks.

However, I ended up losing about 2000 ES and 1% max resist to go crit. At the same time, I lost resolute technique and as a result, my MS/LS becomes much less consistent. If I dont manage to land a crit with my discharges, I will mostly like die to even a rare mob.This happens more often than it should and greatly diminishes this builds tankiness. The problem of going crit is that with the introduction of items like Repentance and Vessel of Vinktar, the base rainbownuke deals much more damage now. Unfortunately, the crit variation simply doesnt not do enough damage to justify its investment, especilly when it is so inconsistent. Low-life Crit Mjolner feels like it cannot decide if it wants to be a full crit build or a mjolner build. In the end, the regular rainbownuke has way more survivability and a more consistently fast clear speed.
Last edited by iSo1iD on Feb 13, 2016, 8:34:27 AM
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
Rusherboy wrote:
Hi

My take on the build :

Spoiler
Gear :
Spoiler

Tree:

Stats :
Spoiler

Interesting variant, though it's going to be overall weaker due to the lack of auras. I doubt the physical mitigation from rumis/taste is going to be sufficient to enable you to do the few bosses like core malachai which are ordinarily problematic for the build due to the high phys damage (since the build is not crit and cannot sustain the flasks), so it seems to me that this variant gives up a good bit of damage for no meaningful defensive gain; hard for me to see what situation this build would be safer in than the "normal" variant of the OP.

Might be a very good candidate for specializing into the Pathfinder ascendancy class though so that rumis/taste can be sustained and buffed more easily.

Only lacking auras compaired to yours are Wrath and Herald of Thunder.

Instead I have I have more charges than you (6 power and 5 Endurance) so the damage output is probably same. Discharge does 17k dps (6685-26976 spell combined). We would know if you posted your offensive stats.

This version has 65% block, 31% spell-block and Arctic Armor. That combined with Taste of Hate makes this build much tankier and still does the same damage. With 100% uptaime on flasks (except the longest bossfights) this build can facetank any boss. In long fights like Ambrius and Atziri we just port out once to re-fill flasks.

I think you dismiss this version too fast. I've done both and the survivability of this version compaired to original is way more.
3.3 RF Trickster SSF HC guide :

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147256
Last edited by Rusherboy on Feb 13, 2016, 3:39:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info