THOR'S RAINBOWNUKE: off to the Marauder forum

"
Rusherboy wrote:
Only lacking auras compaired to yours are Wrath and Herald of Thunder.

Instead I have I have more charges than you (6 power and 5 Endurance) so the damage output is probably same. Discharge does 17k dps (6685-26976 spell combined). We would know if you posted your offensive stats.

This version has 65% block, 31% spell-block and Arctic Armor. That combined with Taste of Hate makes this build much tankier and still does the same damage. With 100% uptaime on flasks (except the longest bossfights) this build can facetank any boss. In long fights like Ambrius and Atziri we just port out once to re-fill flasks.

I think you dismiss this version too fast. I've done both and the survivability of this version compaired to original is way more.

Herald of Thunder and Wrath are extremely important damage increases for this build. Wrath giving a 21-22% MORE MULTIPLIER to your lightning damage and HoT giving base lightning damage thats scales well with Discharge's innately high spell effectiveness.

Your discharge with controlled destruction doing 17k damage (not dps, do not be mistaken) for 6 power charges and 5 endurance charges is rather low. Case in point, my 4 power charge and 4 endurance charge discharge WITHOUT controlled destruction does more damage than your 6 power charge and 5 endurance charge discharge with controlled destruction.

Spoiler

Furthermore, on average you will not always have 6 power charges and 5 endurance charges for your discharge. You most often have between 3-5 power charges between discharges. As such, on average, your discharge will deal much less than 17k damage.

As such, your overall DPS will be significantly lower as compared to those who run Wrath and HoT. This is because, every second, multiple discharges will be set off, but on average your discharges deal much less damage, hence your overall DPS will be lower. Not to mention, I'm using Lightning Pen instead of controlled destruction, so I will rip through mobs even faster.

Defensively speaking, you have more block and spell block. However, you have less ES, your max resists without flasking is lower. As such, you are much more vulnerable to reflect and huge elemental hits. At the same time, AA does little to protect you, hence wasting all that reservation. We too can make use of flasks and have a similar level of flask based defense and flask up time, given our faster clear speed than your build. However, when we run out of flasks, we are not as vulnerable as you. Thus, you defense is not exactly a direct upgrade as claimed.

All in all, this is still an interesting build variation that will greatly benefit from the Pathfinder Ascendancy.
Last edited by iSo1iD on Feb 13, 2016, 11:09:53 AM
"
Rusherboy wrote:

Instead I have I have more charges than you (6 power and 5 Endurance) so the damage output is probably same. Discharge does 17k dps (6685-26976 spell combined). We would know if you posted your offensive stats.

This version has 65% block, 31% spell-block and Arctic Armor. That combined with Taste of Hate makes this build much tankier and still does the same damage. With 100% uptaime on flasks (except the longest bossfights) this build can facetank any boss. In long fights like Ambrius and Atziri we just port out once to re-fill flasks.

I think you dismiss this version too fast. I've done both and the survivability of this version compaired to original is way more.

You also don't appear to be running Purity of Ice.

After all the aura buffs, Wrath grants 32% more lightning damage. Herald of Thunder is less significant, but grants 10% more lightning damage. Combined, they grant 47% more lightning damage. This is a significant damage boost that you give up, and you can't just make it up by getting extra power charges. Even on a new Mjolner with 30% proc chance, you just aren't that likely to hit 6 power charges to discharge - you are going to discharge by 3-5 most of the time, and if you are that concerned about it, it only costs 4 passive points to get a 5 charge version of the "normal" variant instead of a 4 charge version (take +1 PC instead of +1 EC from bandits, grab the PC and two EC charges you travel past).

Defensively, you drop ~1000 Energy Shield, 3% max Fire res, 3% max Lightning res, 8% max Cold res, Unwavering Stance, a Warding flask, and a Heat flask.

For all that offensive and defensive trade-off, you gain Arctic Armor, 65% block, and 31% spell-block (with flasks). You claim that the advantage here is that it enables you to facetank any boss, but that's not really an advantage unless you can include Uber Atziri and/or Core Malachai in your "facetank" list, because those are the only bosses that cannot be facetanked already (Colosseum Daresso also isn't really face-tank material if there are any dangerous mods). If you can't facetank those bosses, then all you've come up with is a slower version of the same thing that is going to have difficulty in no-regen maps (will need a mana flask) and be more risky in elemental reflect and -max maps.

It's not a bad build, but my guess is that you're still not able to facetank Uber or Core Malachai with it, and so it functionally just looks like a weaker version to me.

I would dispute your claim about increased survivability... here are the scenarios in which my build can die, outside of just sheer player stupidity (this is an exhaustive list after playing thousands of maps with this build):
-Uber Atziri
-Core Malachai
-Bad play against Palace Dominus, Colosseum Daresso, or Village Ruin bosses
-High damage Corrupting Blood rare while out of Staunching flask
-Get caught in giant pack of Bearers on low health or in -max map
-Maps with "no leech" mod
-Maps with both -max AND elemental reflect
-Double Boss -Max of the most dangerous elemental damage bosses (e.g. Shrine Piety, Palace Dominus)
-Opening unidentified strongboxes in maps with dangerous mods
-Jumping into the middle of an "other allies cannot die" pack and having the game freeze because you're out of discharge range from the rare/totem casting the aura.

If you are dying in more scenarios than that and you are properly leveled/geared, death is the fault of your play, not this build. I look at your build and I think it's going to die in all those scenarios and then some.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Feb 13, 2016, 11:10:56 AM
"
iSo1iD wrote:
"
Rusherboy wrote:

Herald of Thunder and Wrath are extremely important damage increases for this build. Wrath giving a 21-22% MORE MULTIPLIER to your lightning damage and HoT giving base lightning damage thats scales well with Discharge's innately high spell effectiveness.

Your discharge with controlled destruction doing 17k damage (not dps, do not be mistaken) for 6 power charges and 5 endurance charges is rather low. Case in point, my 4 power charge and 4 endurance charge discharge WITHOUT controlled destruction does more damage than your 6 power charge and 5 endurance charge discharge with controlled destruction.

Spoiler

Furthermore, on average you will not always have 6 power charges and 5 endurance charges for your discharge. You most often have between 3-5 power charges between discharges. As such, on average, your discharge will deal much less than 17k damage.

As such, your overall DPS will be significantly lower as compared to those who run Wrath and HoT. This is because, every second, multiple discharges will be set off, but on average your discharges deal much less damage, hence your overall DPS will be lower. Not to mention, I'm using Lightning Pen instead of controlled destruction, so I will rip through mobs even faster.

Defensively speaking, you have more block and spell block. However, you have less ES, your max resists without flasking is lower. As such, you are much more vulnerable to reflect and huge elemental hits. At the same time, AA does little to protect you, hence wasting all that reservation. We too can make use of flasks and have a similar level of flask based defense and flask up time, given our faster clear speed than your build. However, when we run out of flasks, we are not as vulnerable as you. Thus, you defense is not exactly a direct upgrade as claimed.

All in all, this is still an interesting build variation that will greatly benefit from the Pathfinder Ascendancy.

Thanks for your constructive reply.

You are right about my damage and I have made some changes. I dropped Haste and put Wrath insetead. I didn't realise it was more damage, thought it was increased. I made few changes in tree to conpensate the loss of attack speed. I now have 4.46 aps.

I play in the temp leages so I don't have access to Empower lvl 4 nor Enlighten lvl 4. I have those on standard so I can use them soon enough but until then, lvl 3 has to do.

Forgive my ignorance, but where are you getting the extra increased res from?

You get 5% from pureties, 1% extra lightning from tree and 13% from flasks. That adds to 93/93/94 but the screenshot on frontpage shows 96/94/97.

Don't take my posting wrong, I love this build. It's just that I dislike Blood Magic and I love the op-flasks of MatrixFactors BladeFall build.
3.3 RF Trickster SSF HC guide :

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147256
I don't think anybody is trying to tell you that you have made a bad build - one of the nice things about this build is how flexible it is to be tailored to specific tastes.

The extra resists come from the purities. With all the aura nodes, level 23 purities grant +8% max resists. So +8 all from purities / + 1 lightning from tree / +13 from flasks = 96/96/97 resists with flasks or 83/83/84 without flasks.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Feb 13, 2016, 3:57:08 PM
I have a take on the build especially considering the new changes to maximum resistance changes in 2.2.

I ditched Saffel's Frame in order to get even more ES and life. At level 95 I have 7.7k Life and 4.1 ES without ES% jewels. The ES could even be raised around 400-500 ES higher with new jewels giving both life% and ES%.
I'm using EB+MoM as it gives a lot more stable life compared to not using those to keystones.I reach 12k-13K EHP with this version. With Ghost Reaver, instant leech and Warlord's Mark. We can get incredible ES leech. We don't need life leech as we already have Kingsguard.

Gear

Ignore the gems in Atziri's Acuity. I was just throwing in some gems to level while experimenting with the new build

DPS

Discharge is a little over 10k with 5/5/0 charges and without any flask or RF.

If you want to try out instant leech + ghost reaver without getting Atziri's Acuity. Try getting the claw "Essentia Sanguis" and the flask "Vessel of Vinktar"
"
tackle70 wrote:
I don't think anybody is trying to tell you that you have made a bad build - one of the nice things about this build is how flexible it is to be tailored to specific tastes.

The extra resists come from the purities. With all the aura nodes, level 23 purities grant +8% max resists. So +8 all from purities / + 1 lightning from tree / +13 from flasks = 96/96/97 resists with flasks or 83/83/84 without flasks.

Ah ofcourse. Thanks!
3.3 RF Trickster SSF HC guide :

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147256
"
I have a take on the build especially considering the new changes to maximum resistance changes in 2.2.

I ditched Saffel's Frame in order to get even more ES and life. At level 95 I have 7.7k Life and 4.1 ES without ES% jewels. The ES could even be raised around 400-500 ES higher with new jewels giving both life% and ES%.
I'm using EB+MoM as it gives a lot more stable life compared to not using those to keystones.I reach 12k-13K EHP with this version. With Ghost Reaver, instant leech and Warlord's Mark. We can get incredible ES leech. We don't need life leech as we already have Kingsguard.

Gear

Ignore the gems in Atziri's Acuity. I was just throwing in some gems to level while experimenting with the new build

DPS

If you want to try out instant leech + ghost reaver without getting Atziri's Acuity. Try getting the claw "Essentia Sanguis" and the flask "Vessel of Vinktar"

I'm interested to know, what is the use of acuity since your build has extremely low crit chance? You wont really benefit from its instant leech effect. Why not use the repentance unique gloves instead?
"
iSo1iD wrote:
"

Gear

DPS

I'm interested to know, what is the use of acuity since your build has extremely low crit chance? You wont really benefit from its instant leech effect. Why not use the repentance unique gloves instead?

With 5 power charges and ice golem i have around 40% crit chance with discharge. my experience is unless you are fighting single targets or bosses you will regain ES much faster with acuity.

But if you have a very fast clear speed, Ghost Reaver, Veseel of Vinktar and maybe The Retch as a belt. Then maybe you could have Vessel of Vinktar up full time or at the very least always have it ready for an emergency.

This would also free up a curse (warlords mark) which would be a nice bonus and also guarantee a full 2% leech on bosses compared to the reduced curse effect warlords mark gives.
"

With 5 power charges and ice golem i have around 40% crit chance with discharge. my experience is unless you are fighting single targets or bosses you will regain ES much faster with acuity.

But if you have a very fast clear speed, Ghost Reaver, Veseel of Vinktar and maybe The Retch as a belt. Then maybe you could have Vessel of Vinktar up full time or at the very least always have it ready for an emergency.

This would also free up a curse (warlords mark) which would be a nice bonus and also guarantee a full 2% leech on bosses compared to the reduced curse effect warlords mark gives.

After looking at your gear, I calculated you will have a maximum of 38% crit chance with discharge at maximum (5) power charges, which isnt very high in the first place. However, on average, you will most often have 3 power charges for discharge, which equates to a 31% crit chance. 31%-38% is not consistent enough to benefit from acuity's instant leech. Not to mention, your basic attacks no longer have 100% chance to hit, hence further diminishing the consistency of your damage. Frankly speaking, 10k discharges for a crit build with 5/5 charges is extremely low.

As someone with plenty of experience with crit mjolner builds (see my more recent variation of the crit variation in the previous page), I can guarantee that you are better off dropping crit entirely, picking up resolute technique, invest in lightning damage or spell damage nodes and swap out acuity for repentance. You will see a drastic increase in your damage.

Maybe you should look at Tanakeah's Kingsguard Life Variation (on page 2) and branch off your EB + MoM concept from there.
Last edited by iSo1iD on Feb 14, 2016, 5:50:27 AM
"
iSo1iD wrote:
"

After looking at your gear, I calculated you will have a maximum of 38% crit chance with discharge at maximum (5) power charges, which isnt very high in the first place. However, on average, you will most often have 3 power charges for discharge, which equates to a 31% crit chance. 31%-38% is not consistent enough to benefit from acuity's instant leech. Not to mention, your basic attacks no longer have 100% chance to hit, hence further diminishing the consistency of your damage. Frankly speaking, 10k discharges for a crit build with 5/5 charges is extremely low.

As someone with plenty of experience with crit mjolner builds (see my more recent variation of the crit variation in the previous page), I can guarantee that you are better off dropping crit entirely, picking up resolute technique, invest in lightning damage or spell damage nodes and swap out acuity for repentance. You will see a drastic increase in your damage.

Maybe you should look at Tanakeah's Kingsguard Life Variation (on page 2) and branch off your EB + MoM concept from there.

It is only rare or unique enemies when they are alone that takes some time to kill. Otherwise when there are groups i use lightning strike which will melt any mobs in even high tier maps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info