Would there be a downside to putting an auction house in at this point?

"
13elial wrote:

"
Yes. They will lose more players than they gain.

WRONG!

Let me clarify (in yet another post on the subject);

Path of Exile's currency system is nothing short of abhorrent; There is no sense of worth to anything (especially for new players) and requires vast amounts of 3rd party research, applications, etc. to make sense of anything at the most basic level. This is terrifying for new people who have no idea whats going on (you know, "new players", the people that counter-balance the other players who quit... the ones that keep a game growing and running...)

If you think the currency system is abhorrent, I hearby nullify all the extra authority you have yourself by placing "wrong" in caps.

I was there for the D3 AH. I was there before the RMAH. I was there after they were both gone. Time has proven soundly that this is the better way of doing things.

People who spend large amounts of money on PoE don't do it for stash tabs. They don't do it for the MTX. They do it because they believe in the company's vision. If GGG compromise their vision, they won't have much left. Thank goodness they take every opportunity they can to remind everyone that no matter how many of these threads exist, there will never be an AH. If someday they change their mind, I'll write my little feedback post and leave. No big deal.
"
13elial wrote:

So, you care about a game so much that if they make a change to help a vast majority of players, you will leave?

1. No you wont, you've invested too much in this game
2. Luckily the addition of an Auction Hall would mean that new players aren't overwhelmed by the game anymore, and can counterbalance your departure. (hence the point for POE/Any-business to do what it takes to get more/new customers)

The only sense in which adding an Auction House would "help" players, is that it would increase the convenience and speed of every transaction in the game's economy. While this is tempting initially, it would have very negative effects on the game, especially in the long run, such as:

1. Increase the incentive for players to spend most of their time flipping items, which would consequently have the ironic effect of increasing the time spent looking at, buying, and selling items, and decreasing time spent killing monsters and enjoying characters.

2. Vastly increase the supply of items on the market, which decreases a given item's value. This is contrary to the spirit of the game. Chris Wilson has said in interviews that GGG want things to have meaning and value - they don't want players to ignore most of the items that drop or are in the game, which is a reason all players in an instance share the same loot (loot tension).

Also, just like myself and many others experienced in vanilla D3, it becomes much easier to fully gear your character much faster, which decreases the replay value of the game. This is why people are saying you'd be done playing a week. I imagine it'd be a little longer than that, because unlike D3, creating new characters actually has a lot of meaning in PoE, but the point is still valid.

The game was created by hardcore gamers, for hardcore gamers. The words "casual" and "hardcore" get thrown around a lot, but they're important. PoE is a game that was designed such that you need to spend a lot of time on it to become very powerful. Contrast that with a game like D3, where you can get to max level and be done playing pretty quickly.

That doesn't mean D3 is a bad game, but it does mean it has less replay value, and it's designed with a different vision than PoE is. Honestly, if you don't have a lot of time to game, I would not recommend PoE. And you shouldn't expect the developers to flip their vision of the game on its head to, for lack of a better phrase, cater to casual gamers.

PoE is a game made for people who like to spend hours and hours searching for loot and spending time on their character. It is not a game meant to be played for a week or two, and then discarded. If you don't have much time to play, that is totally fine. After all, there are more important things in life than games, but you probably should find something to do other than play PoE.
Last edited by natefactor07 on Feb 4, 2016, 6:42:17 PM
"
13elial wrote:
"
I've sold a Divinarius for a mixture of Chaos Orbs and Jeweller's Orbs when the other person only had about 20 Chaos Orbs.
Can't do that with an auction house.

What a fantastic story... could you, instead, trade your currency to whatever is required via the same Auction Hall and then buy the item? Yes. Would this stop players from trying to cheat other players out of a few currency here and there? Yes.

If nothing else, bring in some Guild Wars-style Auction Hall for currency, so that players can see what the 'currency' is actually worth.

Sure, the person could've done that and ended up having to spend 80 more jeweller's orbs than they otherwise did.
Oh wait, someone actually bought all of the reasonably priced Jeweller's Orbs and relisted them for 50% extra.

Beast forbid that you should actually have to talk to someone.

Look, the long and short of it is that:
"
Chris wrote:
The trade improvements will never be in the form of an auction house that has automated buyouts. There are many reasons for this, but the short answer is that trivial trading has a very negative impact on games. There are other trading improvements coming. Just no automatic buyouts.
Source. Just search for "auction" and it'll be there near the bottom of the OP.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Feb 4, 2016, 7:37:14 PM
"
natefactor07 wrote:
The only sense in which adding an Auction House would "help" players, is that it would increase the convenience and speed of every transaction in the game's economy. While this is tempting initially, it would have very negative effects on the game, especially in the long run, such as:

1. <snip>

2. Vastly increase the supply of items on the market, which decreases a given item's value. This is contrary to the spirit of the game. Chris Wilson has said in interviews that GGG want things to have meaning and value - they don't want players to ignore most of the items that drop or are in the game, which is a reason all players in an instance share the same loot (loot tension).
I'm anti-AH. However, I'm also anti-wrong. And the latter of these alleged drawbacks is, well, wrong.

If you increase the quantity of everything in an economy, evenly, prices don't really change. This is because the quantity of the stuff the "buyer" gives increases, as well as the stuff the "seller" gives. It's not like vastly increasing the size of the economy would dramatically increase the amount of gear available, without also dramatically increasing the amount of currency available.

However, one major effect of an easier economy is that items which were previously not worth the effort to try to sell, or nearly not worth it, suddenly get a lot more attention from their current owners. Conversely, items which clearly have a lot of value, such as an Exalted Orbs or Voltaxic Rifts, are less likely to have a huge swing in quantity available, because most players would be incentived to offer the item even under a more difficult economic system.

What this means is that easier trade dramatically increases the supply of cheap items, while barely increasing the supply of high-end items. Which means the high-end items become more expensive in terms of mid-tier items, and the low-end items become less expensive in terms of mid-tier items.

In other words: if you think there Chaos:Exalt exchange rate is bullshit now, just wait until after trade improvements. Then you'll see what bullshit really is.

As a side note... For those who remember the pre-Open Beta days when the Chaos:Ex rate was, what, 1:20 or something, well, there's your explanation: PoE.trade didn't exist yet, and as soon as it did, the ratio increased dramatically.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 4, 2016, 8:00:21 PM
Mainly it becomes bot city making it impossible to get deals anymore and enriches a few.

http://diablo3story.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/a-diablo-3-story.html

twards the end of D3s I would not even buy BO because it was a bad deal or bots would have already got it seconds of listing. Only auctions. I'd bid half what I thought I could offload it for. Lost 95%. But its not the ones you lose that matter in auctions its ones you win.

PS I do the same thing here when some clown here says "offer" again doesnt matter if he tells me to GFMS when I offer 1/4-1/2 value. It's ones I get that matter.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Feb 4, 2016, 8:30:43 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
natefactor07 wrote:

1. <snip>

I'm anti-AH. However, I'm also anti-wrong. And the latter of these alleged drawbacks is, well, wrong.

If you increase the quantity of everything in an economy, evenly, prices don't really change. This is because the quantity of the stuff the "buyer" gives increases, as well as the stuff the "seller" gives. It's not like vastly increasing the size of the economy would dramatically increase the amount of gear available, without also dramatically increasing the amount of currency available.

Are you disputing supply and demand?

My argument was that if supply is increased, all other things being equal, prices go down. If I didn't word that correctly, then my mistake.

Now, if the money supply also increases with the supply of goods, then prices wouldn't go down, at least not to the degree that they would had the money supply not increased. But how would the supply of currency increase in the game, anyway?

Is that what you're talking about? Money supply? Because if not, you might have a straw man there...
Money? What money?

It's competing commodities, man.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Lol@the guy who thinks the poe currency system is bad. The currency in this game is the best designed in any online game. Having a built in sink to every currency and having the market decide what value each currency has against each other is an amazing idea. This concept is what keeps stupid things like gear repair costs out of the game while preventing high levels of inflation.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
Draconian AH rules
Any item (except currency) bought at AH must be bound on buy and unsellable.
Any item (except currency) that was put into AH must have starting bid and buyout price (with a few currency options) and will be available for buying for 24 hours. The seller might remove his goods anytime, it returns to trading stash tab. If the seller won’t pick it up in 48 hours – this item will be considered as sold to NPC vendor for default vendor’s price.
If the seller will try to sell this item second time (means nobody bought it in the first try) this item becomes an unremovable offer and if nobody bought it in second attempt it will be considered as sold to NPC vendor for default vendor’s price. Yes, right away into vendor’s dump.
Any item (except currency) picked up is available for a regular trading but will be bound to buyer. Such deals might be cancelled in 30 minutes after (just to allow a fair exchange between party members and high-level Masters service), after that this item becomes bound to the person who has it last on timeout.
And bye-bye flippers.
"
Beast forbid that you should actually have to talk to someone.

This is not what I'm saying at all. Out of curiosity, have you opened $ chat ever? waves of senseless spam.

"
If you think the currency system is abhorrent, I hearby nullify all the extra authority you have yourself by placing "wrong" in caps.

I like the concept of the currency, and think its fantastic in use (albeit slightly too rare in some cases). Unfortunately (and this seems to be a point noone responds to), the value associated with the different currencies fluctuates so much that its impossible for people who don't play all the time to not get ripped off via trading. I happen to play a lot, and have tried to get people to join the game. Unfortunately the game is too complicated in some aspects.

"
Sure, the person could've done that and ended up having to spend 80 more jeweller's orbs than they otherwise did.
Oh wait, someone actually bought all of the reasonably priced Jeweller's Orbs and relisted them for 50% extra.

Are you suggesting that people are not 'playing the market' already? The only people that have the currency to buy everything and up the price, already are doing exactly that. And, as per usual, the only people getting negatively affected are the same people that would be negatively affected with an AH.

"
Mainly it becomes bot city making it impossible to get deals anymore and enriches a few.

By "deal", I assume that you mean; screwing another player who doesn't know an item's value?

"
Chris wrote:
The trade improvements will never be in the form of an auction house that has automated buyouts. There are many reasons for this, but the short answer is that trivial trading has a very negative impact on games. There are other trading improvements coming. Just no automatic buyouts.

Perhaps there term Auction House, is the wrong one as everyone is losing their marbles/common-sense over it.

Trading already exists. The current system is via a third-party website paired with a third-party application. While an 'Auction House' may not be wanted by some people, there needs to be a more straightforward/less-clunky way to trade with other players... Can we all agree on that at least?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info