Would there be a downside to putting an auction house in at this point?

Between poe.trade, procurement, acquisition (plus) and other tools people use the trading experience has long since changed away from a haggling one to a "search for cheapest b/o with tool, port to guy's hideout, say t4t gl ss" and that's it.

It's practically like using an auction house at this point, just a tad more uncomfortable because of you having to use these tools.

So I'm wondering, and please don't just post something like "no", give me some actual arguments, why not just put an actual simple auction house into the game at this point?
Would it really make a difference?
Yes, it really only benefits a few people, new players making it easier to level with some semi decent gear, then it favours flippers and no lifers that will sit in the AH all day and do what is already getting moaned about even faster and better than they were before

That and GGG will never put one in.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Cost... in both financial terms and in integrity.
I remember playing D3 during the auction house time. There was little to no drop, I was stuck in Inferno could not really make it to act 4, so I needed to get a new and better gear. Best way to get that new gear was to farm gold to buy it on the auction house. And the best way to farm gold was in act 1, there was a dank cellar and a chest in it it was in tristam ruin near the waypoint, all you had to do was to open it grab the money reload another game and do it as fast as possible 2 time per minute. I did that for nearly an entire afternoon, made ton of gold.... and then I realized the game became stupidly boring, pointless and not amusing at all.

as it currently is, only some people really offer items on poe.trade. which is ok.

"easier trading" would reveal that an auction house puts players with alot of inventory space in a substantial better position to make good deals.

people like me for example.

currently i don't sell but rarely buy stuff and share alot of items in my guild. i'm simply too lazy to open a shop, waste my time answering peoples private messages or interrupt my precious game time for an occasional 5c trade.

to make current trading work for me, i would have to run a second game instance with a trading account but i'm simply too lazy to do that as the time invested doesn't nearly reach the expected return. the spare time i can invest into poe i rather mindlessly grind and have fun.

another bad side of easier trading: the more items are on offer on a market the lower the prices. people already underbid each other to get rid of their stuff.

just go through poe.trade and get me a list of items which are worth more than 5 chaos which for me is the threshold for a item which is getting sold eventually. all the other stuff is things nobody really wants. the list should be pretty short, it's basically jewelery and some tier 1 uniques.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
When a game like this becomes too easy, people quit. So they have to balance the game difficulty around some "norm". All an AH would do is increase their concept of "norm" to the point where it would be impossible to play without trading. They don't want to do that. They want the game to be difficult for players who choose not to trade, but not impossible. They also want players to be able to exceed that "norm". If an AH was available, the norm would be too close to optimal.

People who say "what would it matter, we already have 3rd party sites?" don't understand that GGG considers play without trading an important option to maintain. Maintaining that option with an AH would involve options they don't want to take (like binding items or item degradation).
"
vio wrote:

just go through poe.trade and get me a list of items which are worth more than 5 chaos which for me is the threshold for a item which is getting sold eventually. all the other stuff is things nobody really wants. the list should be pretty short, it's basically jewelery and some tier 1 uniques.

That is just flat out wrong. I both sell and buy items priced as low as 1 alch constantly and so do many other people. Tons of items put up for a b/o of 1 chaos or 2 chaos are being sold all the time.

No challenge with gearing up, no good drops ever, top-tier items beyond normal player reach. Yea, we have all that already to some degree, but AH would make it worse. MUCH worse. It was apparent in Diablo 3. AH means mass availability, convenience, reliance when trading loot. And it all caused huge damage to gameplay. Loot felt worthless (noone would buy it, there were 10000s of better offers), op items were too expensive for you (unless you won a lottery with uber rare drop or RMT), while good-enough items were shoved up your throat (OP upgrades for just two clicks of a mouse).
Not a signature.
"
Turbodevil wrote:
No challenge with gearing up, no good drops ever, top-tier items beyond normal player reach. Yea, we have all that already to some degree, but AH would make it worse. MUCH worse. It was apparent in Diablo 3. AH means mass availability, convenience, reliance when trading loot. And it all caused huge damage to gameplay. Loot felt worthless (noone would buy it, there were 10000s of better offers), op items were too expensive for you (unless you won a lottery with uber rare drop or RMT), while good-enough items were shoved up your throat (OP upgrades for just two clicks of a mouse).

But just how much worse would it really be?
Poe.trade is practically an AH with a LOT of filters so you can find just what you want with ease already.

At this point it feels more of a thing where people are too proud of the game not having gone down the AH route like D3 did so even though the market is practically an AH for everyone now people are stubborn to the point of not just wanting it in the game itself.
Much worse, Poe.trade is nothing like AH:

- delay between listing offer and indexing it
- obscure
- inconvenient
- require buyer and seller to meet in game

It makes trading annoying and taxes every deal with the most precious thing ever: your time. In other words, it discourages players from trading. Which is good, because it's an aRPG, not trading simulator. You are supposed to kill things and be happy for loot they dropped, not stare at item listings.
Not a signature.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info