Would there be a downside to putting an auction house in at this point?

"
zankioh wrote:
Between poe.trade, procurement, acquisition (plus) and other tools people use the trading experience has long since changed away from a haggling one to a "search for cheapest b/o with tool, port to guy's hideout, say t4t gl ss" and that's it.

It's practically like using an auction house at this point, just a tad more uncomfortable because of you having to use these tools.

So I'm wondering, and please don't just post something like "no", give me some actual arguments, why not just put an actual simple auction house into the game at this point?
Would it really make a difference?

Yes. It would make a difference.
I can't really speak regarding the economics or player retention factors but the one thing I know for certain is that it'd severely wound player interaction.
Even if (for you) it begins and ends at seeing another player's hideout.

I've sold a Divinarius for a mixture of Chaos Orbs and Jeweller's Orbs when the other person only had about 20 Chaos Orbs.
Can't do that with an auction house.

I talk to other players when trading.
If I'm trading Orbs of Fusing for an Exalted Orb I wish them good luck with whatever it is they're fusing and sometimes even ask what it is that they're trying to fuse.
Maybe they've been having bad luck with their fusing and deserve a little sympathy.
Chromatics? Same thing.

Did you know some of the listings on poe.trade don't have a suggested buyout? Try talking to them and seeing if they're willing to sell for a little less than the current lowest listed buyout.
It's how I've gotten most of my identify challenge in Talisman league completed.

Oh, and if you don't care about any of that...
An auction house would expose you to sniping.
Missing out on that item you want simply because someone outbid you by a single Alteration Shard while you were sleeping.

Also, I'm reasonably certain it'd be easier for bots to use an auction house.

Lastly, what does the "ss" mean in "t4t gl ss"?
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Feb 4, 2016, 5:57:32 AM
^ This 100 times
:)
"
veek91 wrote:

If there was an AH, there would be tons more gear in circulation in the market. Basicly there would be a huge supply of even the most high-end items. No drop would have a meaning. So to compensate, the drop rates of items would be reduced tremendously. To the point where you couldn't hope for any decent drop at all.

Now, this I don't see. Why would GGG change drop rates because players are using an AH? SO far as I can tell they don't care about prices one way or another.

THe game is designed for traders, to the point that people like me who run self-found (occasionally guild-found or group-found) are severely disadvantaged, but we can still cope. Use gear-independent builds, use what you do find. If drop rates were lowered hugely so that trade was compulsory in order to progress, most SF players would simply no longer play. I assume GGG know this and probably wouldn't want to lose a large minority of the playbase (maybe a majority, who knows: not sure how many buy never vs occasionally).

If there's no change to drop rates, non-traders would not care whether or not an AH exists. Like I don't care that poe.xyz exists, or whatever the other tools are. So it's already an irrelevant change to many.

Presumably some traders would welcome it, some wouldn't - as this thread shows. I think that the likelihood of instant gratification causing instant disenchantment would be too high; why play a loot-find game when the best place to find loot is the AH? But then, I pretty much think this about the market as it stands, the pick of what thousands of people find is thousands of times more likely to be better than whatever you find. So maybe it would make things no worse for that sector of players. So, again, not a priority.

Probably some people think they'd get very rich, and others fear that. But so what? This only affects the non-rich for content gated by extreme RNG and gearing requirements, which need godly defenses and damage... and those who can't afford/no-life will never see this content anyway! And again how is this different from now, except that the names on the richst accounts might mabe change a little?

Think anyone's going to start playing for a non-RMT AH? Seems unlikely.

TL:DR, an AH wouldn't change much in practice for the majority of players, why would GGG waste time building one especially when they're against it anyway?
Looking for a mature guild to play with?
http://www.guildmedieval.com
Courtesy, Integrity, Fair Play.

I understand this is a role playing game, but I don't think the best role to play should be shopkeeper. - AlteraxPoe
i wanted a auction house too when i started playing this game. the more i play it the more i like its not an auction house impemented. Although i am a pretty impatient guy and when i find something i wanna buy and the seller is not online or have stopped playing the game its a bit annoying. i have even met sellers playing in another league with a standard shop not even bothering selling me the item telling me : nah i play talisman etc atm dont bother switching to standard. To all of you guys take down the shop at least.
Yes. They will lose more players than they gain.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Cost... in both financial terms and in integrity.

Ummm no...
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
No there wouldn't be GGG is just being lazy and not doing it.
Wow, So much misinformation being given here with flimsy examples from people who claim to understand the downside of D3's AH.

"

WRONG!

Let me clarify (in yet another post on the subject);

Path of Exile's currency system is nothing short of abhorrent; There is no sense of worth to anything (especially for new players) and requires vast amounts of 3rd party research, applications, etc. to make sense of anything at the most basic level. This is terrifying for new people who have no idea whats going on (you know, "new players", the people that counter-balance the other players who quit... the ones that keep a game growing and running...)

There is no application/program/tool in the world which would be considered "good/tolerable" if it required users to check a whole host of other applications to complete the most basic of functions.

As you will reference D3's AH;

What blizzard did wrong is include a Real Money Auction Hall, which meant that the best items were being traded to people who had money in the real world and didn't play the game to acquire currency.

ADDITIONALLY when removing the AH, blizzard massively amped up the drop rates of items to counterbalance the lack of trading. They ALSO removed player trading, if you recall, unless you were in the original game where the item dropped.

For the people that think Auction Halls are bad, I highly suggest checking facts on topics rather than feeding into the ignorance that fills most message boards.

"
I've sold a Divinarius for a mixture of Chaos Orbs and Jeweller's Orbs when the other person only had about 20 Chaos Orbs.

What a fantastic story... could you, instead, trade your currency to whatever is required via the same Auction Hall and then buy the item? Yes. Would this stop players from trying to cheat other players out of a few currency here and there? Yes.

If nothing else, bring in some Guild Wars-style Auction Hall for currency, so that players can see what the 'currency' is actually worth.
Last edited by 13elial on Feb 4, 2016, 10:42:05 AM
"
13elial wrote:
Wow, So much misinformation being given here with flimsy examples from people who claim to understand the downside of D3's AH.

"

WRONG!

Let me clarify (in yet another post on the subject);

Path of Exile's currency system is nothing short of abhorrent; There is no sense of worth to anything (especially for new players) and requires vast amounts of 3rd party research, applications, etc. to make sense of anything at the most basic level. This is terrifying for new people who have no idea whats going on (you know, "new players", the people that counter-balance the other players who quit... the ones that keep a game growing and running...)

There is no application/program/tool in the world which would be considered "good/tolerable" if it required users to check a whole host of other applications to complete the most basic of functions.

As you will reference D3's AH;

What blizzard did wrong is include a Real Money Auction Hall, which meant that the best items were being traded to people who had money in the real world and didn't play the game to acquire currency.

ADDITIONALLY when removing the AH, blizzard massively amped up the drop rates of items to counterbalance the lack of trading. They ALSO removed player trading, if you recall, unless you were in the original game where the item dropped.

For the people that think Auction Halls are bad, I highly suggest checking facts on topics rather than feeding into the ignorance that fills most message boards.

"

What a fantastic story... could you, instead, trade your currency to whatever is required via the same Auction Hall and then buy the item? Yes. Would this stop players from trying to cheat other players out of a few currency here and there? Yes.

If nothing else, bring in some Guild Wars-style Auction Hall for currency, so that players can see what the 'currency' is actually worth.

/\ this 1,000,000 times!
I played D3 too. The Real Money auction house was not there in the beginning and it wasn't there in the end. The gold auction house had the same problems. Rampant inflation of good items. People getting bored with the game faster because upgrades were the push of a button and it made drops look terrible in comparison.

Listen, I liked the AH in D3. But it was bad for the game. So bad that Blizzard finally shut it down entirely. And they were making money on their cut of the RMAH. If they ever add such a thing here, I wil find another game. People called D3 an AH simulator. Why? Because it was good for the game and everybody thought it was great?
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info