Would there be a downside to putting an auction house in at this point?

"
mark1030 wrote:
I played D3 too. The Real Money auction house was not there in the beginning and it wasn't there in the end. The gold auction house had the same problems. Rampant inflation of good items. People getting bored with the game faster because upgrades were the push of a button and it made drops look terrible in comparison.

Listen, I liked the AH in D3. But it was bad for the game. So bad that Blizzard finally shut it down entirely. And they were making money on their cut of the RMAH. If they ever add such a thing here, I wil find another game. People called D3 an AH simulator. Why? Because it was good for the game and everybody thought it was great?

So how do you feel about Blizzards other actions;

1. Remove trading between players
2. Creating a game where Uniques/BiS gear took less than a week to grind (sub-optimal stats, granted)
3. Trivializing non-uniques

What are you actually objecting too; Make trading more difficult, so that people do it less often?

Unfortunately, the line above would summarize most views against an Auction Hall.

"
People called D3 an AH simulator.

I don't know anyone who called D3 an AH simulator, especially after the expansion. Wow, yes, AH was too important. But in D3, if you're worrying about gold, then you're not doing endgame content, and might as well jump over to Hello Kitty's Wonderland Adventure.

"
If they ever add such a thing here, I wil find another game

So, you care about a game so much that if they make a change to help a vast majority of players, you will leave?

1. No you wont, you've invested too much in this game
2. Luckily the addition of an Auction Hall would mean that new players aren't overwhelmed by the game anymore, and can counterbalance your departure. (hence the point for POE/Any-business to do what it takes to get more/new customers)
Last edited by 13elial on Feb 4, 2016, 11:02:04 AM
It's demoralizing to know so many clueless people exist in this game. If you can't imagine how horribly an AH would mess up a game like PoE, then i simply have no words for your thinking process.

It would be the last step to completely murder the economy of this game.
Perhaps you should try responding to points, rather than making blanket-statements to which there is no reference... I believe that I, and many people prior, have given arguments for/against an AH.

What is your stance?
Do you have one?
Are you parroting something you've read somewhere else?
Do you have any views/comparisons?
Perhaps a life-story as to why you disagree/agree?
"
Miská wrote:
It's demoralizing to know so many clueless people exist in this game. If you can't imagine how horribly an AH would mess up a game like PoE, then i simply have no words for your thinking process.

It would be the last step to completely murder the economy of this game.

It would a godd beginning step to healing the economy of this game.

Also, thanks for the insults, [Removed by Support].
Last edited by Sarah on Feb 4, 2016, 1:59:30 PM
"
13elial wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:
I played D3 too. The Real Money auction house was not there in the beginning and it wasn't there in the end. The gold auction house had the same problems. Rampant inflation of good items. People getting bored with the game faster because upgrades were the push of a button and it made drops look terrible in comparison.

Listen, I liked the AH in D3. But it was bad for the game. So bad that Blizzard finally shut it down entirely. And they were making money on their cut of the RMAH. If they ever add such a thing here, I wil find another game. People called D3 an AH simulator. Why? Because it was good for the game and everybody thought it was great?

So how do you feel about Blizzards other actions;

1. Remove trading between players
I think it's stupid
"
2. Creating a game where Uniques/BiS gear took less than a week to grind (sub-optimal stats, granted)
I think it is just as bad as an AH drastically quickening the pace of boredom in a grinding game
"
3. Trivializing non-uniques
On top of quickening the pace of boredom? It takes away all the variety and individuality of making unique builds

It's a game about loot. Whether you can buy the loot with the single touch of a buyout button or it drops so frequently that you can gear up to bis in a week, you've ruined the whole point of the game.

"
What are you actually objecting too; Make trading more difficult, so that people do it less often?
Not sure where you got that idea. I don't want to make it more difficult. I think it is really easy as it is now with ggg encouraged third party tools. I don't mind making it easier. But i do mind making it so easy you don't have to work at it. Seriously, a single click of a button and you get an item? They could implement that without even even making you open the game. Making you contact the person you are trading with is important. It minimizes automation. It makes you make an effort. And it's not that fucking hard. Yet, that's the part all the lazy asses want to do away with because "boo hoo, the seller is offline and he's the only guy in the whole game who has the item i want with the lowest price". And GGG is probably even going to make offline trading available. So then the only complaint will be "boo hoo, i can't have the item I want instantly because the seller has to get online to do his half of the trade"

"
"
If they ever add such a thing here, I wil find another game

So, you care about a game so much that if they make a change to help a vast majority of players, you will leave?
When the vast majority (yeah, right) are casual players who will get what they want from the AH, play for a week or two, and then quit, it is bad for the game. It might be better for those players you are talking about. But they are not here for the long term if they want an AH. They want what they want when they want it and when they get it they will move on to something else. Blizzard saw this and catered to it. They don't care if people stick around. They only care that players buy the game and expansions and if they leave after a few weeks it doesn't affect the game. [/quote]

"
1. No you wont, you've invested too much in this game
If they institute an AH and start dumbing down this game for people who can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes searching for online only filtered items and meeting up with a seller, then this game will quickly become something I don't want to play.
"
2. Luckily the addition of an Auction Hall would mean that new players aren't overwhelmed by the game anymore, and can counterbalance your departure. (hence the point for POE/Any-business to do what it takes to get more/new customers)
D2 didn't have an auction house and some people still play it. Why? Because they are smart enough to not be overwhelmed by not having an AH? Sorry, but if an AH is what keeps new players from being overwhelmed, they need to hold off on playing until they reach the third grade.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Mark1030,

Based on your responses to "So how do you feel about Blizzards other actions" it sounds like you should support the idea of an AH.

"
I think it is just as bad as an AH drastically quickening the pace of boredom in a grinding game

poexyz exists already, its a third party tool. Should players unable to use multiple applications at one time be at fault for being less financially stable than other players? (Sounds like RMAH to me)

"
I don't mind making it easier. But i do mind making it so easy you don't have to work at it.

Are you implying that rare/expensive currency is easy to come by? perhaps by logging on everyday I will have an ex/mirror? You and I both know that's not how this game works.

"
"boo hoo, i can't have the item I want instantly because the seller has to get online to do his half of the trade"

Why should a process be made as cumbersome as possible? If third party tools are allowed/encouraged, where do you draw the line between bots (automated) and someone checking a website every 5 minutes to make a trade? Realistically, you are only hurting players that are unable to sit, making trades throughout the entire day.

I think your quote is a gross oversimplification of the issue, but helps to show why its important for a regulated mechanism to help process trades.

"
Blizzard saw this and catered to it.

Whether you like them or not, they also created the most successful video game in history...

"
If they institute an AH and start dumbing down this game for people who can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes searching for online only filtered items and meeting up with a seller, then this game will quickly become something I don't want to play.

Like the introduction of Master Crafting into the crafting system?

"
D2 didn't have an auction house and some people still play it. Why? Because they are smart enough to not be overwhelmed by not having an AH? Sorry, but if an AH is what keeps new players from being overwhelmed, they need to hold off on playing until they reach the third grade.

I've stated, many times, that everything about this game is complicated... not just trading. That is what scares new players off. And this isn't "cool mechanics in the game, lets figure this out" its more of "what is this stuff dropping of monsters?", "how do I sell items to find something useful?", "what are 'vendor recipes'?", "I've asked for help in general chat and received a torrent of abuse", "I just made a character and found an Exalted Orb. Someone in chat said it's worth an Alteration, so I traded it." This stuff if very common, and needs regulations of some sort. why not help new players? veterans understand the game already.
"
13elial wrote:
Perhaps you should try responding to points, rather than making blanket-statements to which there is no reference... I believe that I, and many people prior, have given arguments for/against an AH.

What is your stance?
Do you have one?
Are you parroting something you've read somewhere else?
Do you have any views/comparisons?
Perhaps a life-story as to why you disagree/agree?

I won't bother, I'm so tired of this discussion. You think you are bringing up a new subject? Go read the thousands of pages about this subject, and read GGG's stance on an AH. What else do you want? This game is not for casuals, stop trying to make it one.

(Just to clarify the casual part. I have alot of 'casual' friends playing this game. I sometimes play a league casually myself if time does not allow me to play as much as i would like to. But we set our expectations down towards the time we invest. I'm getting so goddamned sick of people that demand everything while doing not a goddamn thing. Deal with it. You can only play 1h a week? Deal with it. You refuse to do abit of research on how to trade efficiently, fucking deal with it then. )
Last edited by Miská on Feb 4, 2016, 2:12:02 PM
@13elial:

Why do you keep saying it sounds like I should support an AH. Did you miss the part where I said Been There, Done That, wouldn't want it in this game? Sp what if Blizzard made a successful game? Doesn't mean they did everything right. The fact that they shut down D3s AH proves that even in their games an AH isn't always good for the game.

You try to bolster your argument by saying people with shitty computers can't alt-tab and even go so far as comparing it to RMT. That just weakens your argument. If having a good computer is akin to RMT, then it doesn't change no matter what you do. The guys with SSDs and fast computers and internet will always be better than those running on a potato. Introducing an AH doesn't even the playing field. It actually widens it. And I don't know anybody who can't have a website open

You say the process is as cumbersome as possible. I say it is not. I say it is easy. It just requires like 5 minutes of effort to set up a shop using procurement or acquisition. It requires less than a minute to get a whisper asking to buy an item and respond. It takes less than a minute to invite the buyer and do the trade transaction. It takes minutes to search poe.trade for items. It takes a second to flip that switch to filter online only so you only get results of people online. It takes a few minutes to whisper sellers trying to find one that is available to make the deal. Sometimes they ask that you wait a few minutes until they leave the map or zana mission. You make it sound like all of this takes days but i've neever spent more than a few minutes when I'm a buyer because I'm not searching for the very best deal from somebody offline who may have not logged into the game in months. If i search for online only and buyout, I know listings are probably current because the player is active. And i know they are online. Sure, once in a while I get somebody afk or who logged out between the time poe.trade last updated status and I whispered. But then I just move on to the next seller. Selling is just as easy. At the beginning of the league I make a shop and set tabwide buyouts. When i want to sell an item I control click it i to the tab with the right buyout and Acquisiton updates my shop thread and poe.trade.

You try to say checking a website every 5 minutes for deals would be easier with an AH. How? You're still checking listings instead of playing the game.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
You say the process is as cumbersome as possible. I say it is not. I say it is easy. It just requires like 5 minutes of effort to set up a shop using procurement or acquisition. It requires less than a minute to get a whisper asking to buy an item and respond. It takes less than a minute to invite the buyer and do the trade transaction. It takes minutes to search poe.trade for items. It takes a second to flip that switch to filter online only so you only get results of people online. It takes a few minutes to whisper sellers trying to find one that is available to make the deal. Sometimes they ask that you wait a few minutes until they leave the map or zana mission. You make it sound like all of this takes days but i've neever spent more than a few minutes when I'm a buyer because I'm not searching for the very best deal from somebody offline who may have not logged into the game in months. If i search for online only and buyout, I know listings are probably current because the player is active. And i know they are online. Sure, once in a while I get somebody afk or who logged out between the time poe.trade last updated status and I whispered. But then I just move on to the next seller. Selling is just as easy. At the beginning of the league I make a shop and set tabwide buyouts. When i want to sell an item I control click it i to the tab with the right buyout and Acquisiton updates my shop thread and poe.trade.
QFT

Wherever I hear someone go on about how poe.trade is inconvenient, my first thought is
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
I like the way trade works now. If they could recreate poexyz in the game itself then that would be fine by me but an AH is too convenient and I'll probably end up doing what I did on D3 and sit there all day buying cheap shit to resell for a profit. That was extremely profitable but boring as fuck. I don't wish for them to bring that mini game into poe.

What I like about the current trade is that sometimes I get people that want an item I have and they don't have the currency so they'll make a counter offer with other currencies or even an item for item trade. This has happened a number of times and each time the player was grateful that I was willing to negotiate and I ended up getting more than what I was asking for in currency after I converted the currency or item traded. Both players were happy and life went on.

Sound the dread alarm, through the primal body! Sound the reveille, to be or not to be. Rise! Stay the grand finale! Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue. One drive to stay alive! Elementary, muster every fiber. Mobilize! Stay alive!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info