2 Years and not German Translation.......whats wrong with you?

Not to be offensive or anything,please hear me.

I traveled some of the world and others would agree with me.But i will focus on germany.

Germany,like other countries,make translation for everything,games,movies etc.What really bothers me the most,was the people that could understand me speaking english,but not replying back.Its like,you either speak our language or FK you policy going on there.

Not to mention is some airports,there wasnt even a sight of english,a widely european accepted language.

So in conclusion.Its hypocritical to say the least,for some to even require this traslation,when they dont even bother in general.
Bye bye desync!
"
elwindakos wrote:
Germany,like other countries,make translation for everything,games,movies etc.What really bothers me the most,was the people that could understand me speaking english,but not replying back.Its like,you either speak our language or FK you policy going on there.

It's not that simple, though. I could read and understand English at a decent level long before I could express myself in English. And it took even longer to work up the courage of doing so (writing came first, speaking later still). It's very common that people's "passive" language abilities are more advanced than their "active" ones.

There is also the aspect of "shame". For example, in the US most people admire anyone who speaks a second language that is not Spanish, even if they fumble around and the English is somewhat broken.

This is not the same in Germany. In Germany, if someone speaks a language poorly (especially if it is German), it's not seen as "cute" or "how nice that they try!". It may not necessarily be perceived as negative, either, but it's not like in the US where non-Spanish accents are viewed as sexy. Whenever I mention to American or Canadian friends that I wish I could get rid of traces of my accent, they look at me like I'm from another planet -- "Why would you ever want to do that?" (usually females). You won't encounter this with Germans nearly as often.

So, what this also means is that Germans may just be shy or intimidated to speak English, even if they understand it, because they don't want to look foolish. This is much more about self-awareness and perfectionism than it is about disrespect. Online, I've found that most Germans will switch to English when there are non-German speakers around, more so than I have seen with people from other countries. But in every day life, yes, quite a few Germans struggle with speaking English.

It's really not about disrespect or "speak German or sod off". I'm sure there are douchebags around too -- every country and culture has those. I find us Germans to be fairly respectful of others, overall.
Last edited by Mivo on Jan 27, 2016, 3:45:10 AM
Yep, Warlord.

The problem is that german is not a very beautiful language. We german are in generally very structered, well-organize and simply (to a lesser extend) "boring". Especially our syntax was hammered so god damn often now; nowadays you can "basically" do what you want.

Translating the content to german..do you really want to have the gemling queen in german ? ...Hell no, plz not!

Basically, they do the translation for the 5 people in PoE that do strictly avoid to educate themselves

Oh yea, "How would english look like with the german articles?"

"The, tha, thi"

Fuck that! :P
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

"
Astarte911 wrote:
Especially our syntax was hammered so god damn often now; nowadays you can "basically" do what you want.

The language is pretty complex. Genders aside (plenty of other languages have that too), compound nouns add a lot of complexity, which is often what non-native learners trip over (it's the linguistic feature of creating new nouns by stringing words together -- Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitän being the famous example, and it could be made longer!).

The syntax reforms in more recent years were mostly logical. It didn't really make sense that "Platz" was written with a "tz", but the derived verb, "plazieren", lacked the "t". So now the correct spelling is "platzieren", which is much more consistent (most other changes were similar) To me, it still looks very strange, and wrong, as does "Foto" instead of "Photo", but it makes sense and I'm just from a time when it was written dfferently. Replacing the "ß" with "ss" in many words bugged me more, and still throws me off frequently, but it is also consequent and more "modern", I guess. The Swiss never used "daß", they always wrote it as "dass".

I like German as a language. It's an expressive, deep, nuanced language. But I like all languages and wish my brain could handle more than three. :) (And I tried Chinese. I decided that if I ever want to learn that language, I need to live in China for a few years!)
A accent is not a dialekt. Dialekts are sub-languages, they are not only diffrent in sound.
Even as a foreigner, i never missunderstood british,texas,american,australian,new sealand, its all english with a diffrent accent.
English has those consistant quiet OU and T´s are D´s and K´s are C´s , basicly you wouldnt be able to speak it by simply reading the words. Thats why germans sound funny trying to say ""the"", because they simple say how its wrote.
So plz dont judge diffrent languages.
Ye indeed i want an Italian translation too!

Non ho voglia di leggere in inglese -.- traduzione italiana plz
"
diablofdb wrote:
Because everything sound mean and everyone sound mad in German. And Greust would be too much of a dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLvL7a8Y0pI
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:
Because everything sound mean and everyone sound mad in German. And Greust would be too much of a dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n66MqTb9Wp4 Its more like this, höhö ;)
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

Last edited by Astarte911 on Jan 27, 2016, 9:51:01 AM
"
Astarte911 wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n66MqTb9Wp4 Its more like this, höhö ;)

SCHMET-TER-LING!!!!! Classic <3

I'm, as german too, are a bit underwhelmed considering this topic.

I usually stick in the language I'm started a game, and mostly thats english.

Diablo1 in german? Can't even imagine .....

But e.g. Diablo2 I bought from a local store (back then 100years ago ), played in a german com, traded over a german site - ever had problems with different mods which where english only.

So PoE? English. Maybe reread some dialogues to get the story a bit better ......
"better to simply go balls deep full retard if you gonna go retard." -Boem-

"
"
Actkqk wrote:
"

It means: "Schenkt mir Euer Gehör für einen Moment."

You absolutely miss the point. I speak Spanish, what you say is nothing for me...

This exchange is fucking hilarious.

It is also a good example why using a common language makes it so much easier. :P

Also, Actkqk, I learned all the English I know by playing video games (thank you sir Fallout 2) and using the internet. I can now listen to podcasts, watch YouTube videos without subtitles and whatnot. I can read articles, reviews of hardware, find solutions to various problems... I mean, isn't it worth a little time of learning while PLAYING A DAMN GAME to be able to do all of these things? Is also looks good on your Resume. Don't be lazy. Nobody is going to hand everything to you (unless your family happens to be insanely rich, which wasn't the case for me), so you'll need something to be able to trade with.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info