Cast on Crit is degenerative.

I don't have the gumption to get into too much detail right now, but I think that a support gem that has no use in most builds and in its respective builds says "cast supported spell 20 times a second" isn't good for game health. Cast on crit was originally a fine mechanic but attacks came out that hit so insanely frequently (with one crit roll affecting the entire skill) that it's impossible to balance. With cyclone, you cast any number of novas or discharge over and over. With barrage, you cast an insane number of projectile spells. And you don't even need to scale your physical damage in order to get these procs; it's 100% based on attack speed. The gem doesn't care if the attack did one damage twenty times.

It's bad for gameplay not only because it's limited to very specific skills (else it be a waste of a link) but because harshly reduces the emotional impact of any given spell by simply casting it as many times a second as possible and bypassed cast speed. The giant "kaboom" of discharge doesn't actually have any impact when it's just bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbboom. There's no effort to build charges, so the emotional impact of removing all of them is entirely lost.

Basically cast on crit is destroying your skills. Any new spell implemented has to be 100% considered as a tool for a cast on crit, which warps your balance. Any new attack implemented has to be considered as to whether or not it will be used as a cast on crit tool to launch over 300 sequences of casts a minute, eliminating any sort of satisfaction the player would receive from the playstyle of the skill itself.

Cast on crit is an unbalanced and degenerative mechanic. Fun maybe, but degenerative the same way that Drillneck is optimal for most ranger builds, Doryani's Catalyst is optimal for most if not all builds that include elemental damage and AoE, and Hegemony's Era is optimal for most if not all physical staff builds without getting into mirrored gear. Those items individually are not so harmful, but they have wider reaching consequences on the game and its design (if any new elemental skill is to have an end-game weapon that is NOT doryani's, it needs to be particularly designed as such) the same way that Cast on Crit inevitably warps GGG's design philosophy surrounding their spells.
Last edited by SybilCut on Jan 20, 2016, 2:13:37 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
It's fine.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
It's fine.

No, it's not. It is degenerative how braindead people simply press one-button to spam.
"
SuperMotte wrote:
"
It's fine.

No, it's not. It is degenerative how braindead people simply press one-button to spam.

If it wasn't fine then it would of been nerfed but it's not is it? It continues to be in the game because there's no complaints about it unlike incinerate? Vaal Spark? Do you know why?

Because it's ''Fine'' and barely any complaints about it.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Jan 20, 2016, 2:41:09 PM
"
"
SuperMotte wrote:
"
It's fine.

If it wasn't fine then it would of been nerfed but it's not is it? It continues to be in the game because there's no complaints about it unlike incinerate? Vaal Spark? Do you know why?

Because it's ''Fine'' and barely any complaints about it.

Why should people complain about it when they use it themself?
+SybilCut complains
+I complain
add a 1 second 'internal cooldown'
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy. thinking: "This time is gonna be different. No, no, no please... This time is gonna be different."

-Path of Exile
I'm not really buying the imbalanced argument.

However, much like Surgeon's on flasks, I feel it is a big negative for the game in terms of limiting design space. GGG essentially cannot make skills which have longer cast times but hit hard, because the on-hit damage of the skill needs to be balanced not only around its own cast time, but also around however arbitrarily fast a build can get its APS (which isn't even a caster stat). This has created a strange design situation where spells tend to be
1. have an average cast time and feel average
2. have a fast cast time and feel good self-cast but crap in CoC
3. have a slow cast time and feel like crap self-cast but good in CoC
4. channeled and therefore mysteriously off-limits to CoC

Basically, GGG has designed itself into a corner where it has lost control over the variance of cast time, in much the same way that Surgeon's has caused GGG to lose control over what types of base flasks types it can create (thus the plethora of unique flasks made since).

So overall, I agree game would be better without Cast on Crit around, at least the way it's designed currently. Perhaps some version which took cast speed (or perhaps mana cost) of spells into account, which would make CoC-supported attacks take longer for slow spells and faster for fast spells (or have prohibitively high mana costs for slow spells and more moderate mana costs for fast spells). But as it is now, it enables one very niche build type, while having a very negative influence on casters overall... and although it's nice to have cool builds in the game, creating stale play for a very common character archetype isn't the way to do it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 20, 2016, 2:51:47 PM
"
If it wasn't fine then it would of been nerfed but it's not is it?

Yes it was. Cast on crit has only received nerfs since its inclusion. Not only direct nerfs (the most recent was in 1.3 where it was reduced by 20% at all levels) but a lot of crit was removed from the tree and even more recently, Surgeon's was harshly nerfed as well which is a core component of cast on crit builds.

Don't kid yourself. Cast on crit has received steady incremental indirect nerfs for a long time and will likely continue to see them.
"
SybilCut wrote:
"
If it wasn't fine then it would of been nerfed but it's not is it?

Yes it was. Cast on crit has only received nerfs since its inclusion. Not only direct nerfs (the most recent was in 1.3 where it was reduced by 20% at all levels) but a lot of crit was removed from the tree and even more recently, Surgeon's was harshly nerfed as well which is a core component of cast on crit builds.

Don't kid yourself. Cast on crit has received steady incremental indirect nerfs for a long time and will likely continue to see them.

Seems fine to me unlike incinerate and all them? Where's the complaints? I'll tell you IN THE FUCKING WIND as long as there's no complaints a skill can't be nerfed maybe tweaked but destroyed? Not a chance.

Your wasting your time unless you go make like 2052050 alt accounts and complain about it sure go ahead have a crusade name it The anti-CoC Crusade with my self and me!
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Jan 20, 2016, 2:52:15 PM
Every character of I_NO probably uses CoC.^^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info