How i designed my unique - Skyforth Sorcerer Boots

"
pneuma wrote:
I can almost forgive the fact that they're BiS by design due to the rarity argument. I adamantly think rarity does not a balance make, but there are not going to really be enough of these to even exist for it to have wide chilling effects on build choice. Designing a unique for the 1% (or less) is a bit of a waste of a unique design since it will never have the mass usage that something like Facebreakers do, but it's Skyforth's decision to make.

The truly inexcusable thing with these boots is how little theme they have. They tell no story.

Stun on mana (read: effective immunity), power charge on crit, and reduced mana reservation could each be their own unique. The drawback of 'no life leech' also seems unrelated to the rest. Nothing really ties these concepts together at all. It was the equivalent of walking through the candy shop and picking this one and that one and DEFINITELY this one.

When first announced, I was quite hype for the shoes. I thought that they'd flip mana (and/or eshield) on its head in a simple way, like "Maximum Life and Mana values swap". The end result just feels really hollow, and overly focused on rarity instead of making an interesting item.

While usually i don't really care about what other people think.

Just want to clarify some stuff, because it seems blatantly obvious that people comment when they didn't even watch the video. Yours comments are hilariously obnoxious in that regard.

1) These would not be ilvl gated if it wasn't for my request. Why would GGG balance around rarity? They can't. It has to be balanced to be balanced, doesn't matter how many or how little people have it. Why do people keep thinking it's balanced based on rarity? It's NOT. Rarity is 100% fucking irrelevant. Like i said, these boots would have the exact same stats if I set no ilvl restriction.

Take a step and think about what you just said, "Designing a unique for the 1% (or less) is a bit of a waste of a unique design".

Do you really think the 1%, or even the 0.1% or even 0.01% will get these as a drop? No of course not. No one will practically ever get these as a drop. This means the only/main way to acquire these boots are through chancing. ANYONE can chance them. I certainly can't in that regard.

2) I've played lowlife characters for a very very long time. Low life is perhaps one of my favourite builds despite how shit they may/are/can be (depending on patch). Lowlife characters were always known as the expensive as fuck, only endgame 1000+ hours played build. Maybe YOU don't have the experience to understand or identify what a lowlife build is defined by. But I do, and those who can relate will see the opportunities from these mods do.

3) This is my unique design, not GGG's (for the most part) and definitely not yours. You can design your own unique with your own thoughts and ideologies. Perhaps other players realms of thinking are not aligned with mine, or GGG's or someone else's. Maybe i didn't want "vendor trash". Is that wrong? Of course not. Opinions can't be wrong. And maybe i didn't want a story? Why do i need a story? What is your story? Nvm i don't give a fuck. Once again it's about differing thoughts and opinions.

So all in all, If someone chanced the boots, would they use them? Their choice. If they don't like it, then don't use it. But i get the feeling these would be used by almost everyone who acquires them, and that's what i like.

The irony of the statement provided by pneuma is perhaos the arrogance or maybe just ignorance of some members of the community who will criticize people for their ideals and goals. If someone wanted to design a leveling unique for cruel especially, allowing many characters to breeze through cruel within a league, some would see it as vendor trash even though there is a clear reason for it's design.

Perhaps it's just that Pneuma and other community members haven't reached far enough into maps to be able to understand the depths, functions and reasonings for end game uniques.

I am sending you this message to let you know that I have removed your signature as it is designed to mislead others. Please refrain from using similar signatures in the future. - Rob_GGG
And some more info.

No life regen -> Stunts BM Lowlife builds that rely on..... That's right, Life regen.

Reduced aura reservation -> Frees 1 aura cluster ANYWHERE in the tree. +1 to Lowlife or any build really

Increased mana <-> Stun based on mana.

Power charge on critical because i only play crit builds and that's what i liked and that's what i wanted. Not sure why people wouldn't like this mod, you can chance your CoH setup to give you a different curse which by all means is beneficial if you were curse on hit.

Plus i hated the fact that if you did atziri or something similar where you couldn't Proc the curse on hit then your Power charges are useless. Thus, power charge on critical.

This is a Sorcerer's Boot, highest base in the game (atm) for energy shield boots and as an end game unique, it got 30% movement speed.

Why are people always so obsessed about downsides? Downsides are not there to balance uniques. You don't get balance from having super strong mods + super bad downsides. It doesn't work like that. Downsides are just simply another mod that restricts the item in the sense that you can't do X without Y or Z is not possible because of this downside.
I am sending you this message to let you know that I have removed your signature as it is designed to mislead others. Please refrain from using similar signatures in the future. - Rob_GGG
Last edited by Skyforth on Dec 19, 2015, 12:23:55 AM
"
"
Darth_Silegy wrote:
Man, I hate this item. It's actually good. I want to see people pay thousands of dollars just to get so much disrespect they will quit the game like Myrmi, not this.

That has to be one of the nastiest things I've ever seen on these forums, and I've seen it all. I'm sorry nobody knows you and that you have to attack high-end supporters just to get noticed.

Pathetic.

Sorry for the slight derail, Skyforth, but this person made me almost physically gag in disgust.

Hello!
My name is Charan, the most entitled knowitall on the internet and I've never heard of sarcasm.
ehh the boots are level 84 requirement.

which means that the person using them has to an end-game player. Seems pretty balanced.

The only people who level 84+ are hardcore palyers anyway. This game needs some imba uniques..

I mean.. shavs was created for a reason right? Skyforth is just the boots version. Rare and OP.

I'm all for more imba uniques.

I mean what the treatment to bringer of rain is just so stupid imo. Hopefully skyforth does not get the same treatment in future patches.

I dont understand GGG's philosophy of nerfing uniques so they are basically vendor trash after a few patches of whines.

maligaro's is another example. pls dont make skyforth into a bringer of rain tragedy >_>
The rest of the 'end-game' content will be available along with a heap of new stuff when the game launches in a few months time. From what I've seen it's going to be awesome. - Michael_GGG
"
tobes111 wrote:

which means that the person using them has to an end-game player. Seems pretty balanced.

The only people who level 84+ are hardcore palyers anyway. This game needs some imba uniques..

I mean.. shavs was created for a reason right? Skyforth is just the boots version. Rare and OP.

I mean what the treatment to bringer of rain is just so stupid imo. Hopefully skyforth does not get the same treatment in future patches.

I dont understand GGG's philosophy of nerfing uniques so they are basically vendor trash after a few patches of whines.

maligaro's is another example. pls dont make skyforth into a bringer of rain tragedy >_>

Is there a single person who does not think GGG will legacy these?

They nerfed blood freaking dance.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Dec 19, 2015, 1:09:33 AM
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
tobes111 wrote:

Is there a single person who does not think GGG will legacy these?

They nerfed blood freaking dance.

Im never gonna wear them anyway so it won't affect me.

BUT they seem to be nerfing everything cuz they can. How about some OP uniques for once? Don't see why it's so terrible.

Next thing you gonna see if shavs gonna get nerfed >_>

Give us back maligaro

Give us back bringer of rain

Give us back blood dance.

All the fun uniques just get nerfed until they are vendor trash. Pretty sad to see.
The rest of the 'end-game' content will be available along with a heap of new stuff when the game launches in a few months time. From what I've seen it's going to be awesome. - Michael_GGG
Don't think most people would have thought blood dance as OP but they were still nerfed.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Nephalim wrote:
Don't think most people would have thought blood dance as OP but they were still nerfed.

it went from somewhat usable to instant trash.

GGG seem to only like to have a few uniques that are god-tier (e.g. windripper, shavs, etc).

But for the majority of designers, their uniques keep getting nerfed into oblivion to become instant trash.

The reason I don't understand is why are certain uniques untouchable (e.g. windripper, shavs) yet average uniques get nerfed so hard?

Just give it a few months more of whine and you will see skyforth instant trash lol.
The blood dance nerf is just more evidence of GGG targeting one problem with multiple solutions at once and over doing it.

Blood dance was popular because it opened up sustain options after leech changes and EB changes. So people could use high life regen with blood magic or with ZO and the new EB to sustain popular high cost skills like incinerate or just regular skills that were otherwise hard to sustain.

What does GGG do?
nerf regen on blood dance
nerf incinerate so no one wants to use it and fewer builds require the heavy regen on blood dance
increase mana per level for everyone by 50%
add leech clusters to the passive tree that provide sustain options for elemental and physical converted attacks
add blasphemy which makes sustain based on warlords/poachers easier
reduce mana cost of many skills, eliminate mana cost scaling of many skills
release more powerful boots

It's like GGG is missing big picture analysis.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on Dec 19, 2015, 2:04:27 AM
"

Stop showing the game to entitled little fucks then.

I'm out. Too many reminders of how far down this community has sunk. Fucking ingrates.

he was very blunt about it, but he is basically saying what I'm saying:
there are people like yourself and Skyforth who spent literally thousands of Dollars to support this game and GGG.
cash which among other things, gave you an awesome chance to make an impact on the game. to leave your personal legacy in Wraeclast.

while I disagree that most designed Uniques should be "OP OP", I also see some which are in my opinion a supporter squandering that wonderful chance he's earned.
because the end result turns out either far too weak to be useful even for some crazy "niche" (even though I love niche builds as much as you do), far too inaccessible/high-rarity-tier/high-level compared to its actual usefulness, or just some plain dull stat stick which is more "rare" than "unique" to begin with.

I have no idea if these are Supporters aiming too low, or too high then get cut down to size by GGG - but it is what it is.

here's an example of one supporter who "did it right", in my opinion.
his name is Fiveby5.
he made this:

unique mechanics. fucking awesome.

and I don't think I'm being ungrateful.
just asking people to not squander hard-earned chances.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Dec 19, 2015, 2:25:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info