How i designed my unique - Skyforth Sorcerer Boots

"
Malone wrote:
"
RagnarokX wrote:
No idea how these boots made it through balancing and QA.

Simple he paid 1000$
Simple the ilvl to MAKE it drop needs to 84 that's fucking insane like that's pretty fucking nuts.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
There's absolutely no logic in those things going through QA.
Even if you need to do high area zones to make them drop, they're still way too powerful.
Participated in the working of the Dyadus Avatar of Fire Templar:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/896505
"
Malone wrote:
"
RagnarokX wrote:

It could be something to do with 'the QA guy' being the designer (not supporter) of the original Soul Taker.
Casually casual.

"
TheAnuhart wrote:
Love these boots.

Don't so much love that my PoE now consists entirely of...

Farm
Sell every rare drop for shards
Recipe every unique drop for chance orbs
Vendor/master exchange up all scrolls, trans, augs, alts, jews and fuses to chance orbs
Daily exchange chance orbs to scours
Chance every white sorc drop
Scour chance with every scour

And I may well be doing this for the next several thousand hours :/

Or, maybe not.

The hype is real. Self found FTW \o/
Casually casual.

"
TheAnuhart wrote:

The hype is real. Self found FTW \o/

Self Found is indeed too overpowered. Chris needs to smite it with teh mighty Nerfhammer!

GG Anuhart :)

also,
RNG plague

2 minutes after the epic chance orb, this dropped for me in a Shipyard:

contagious.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
Skyforth wrote:
(...)
Why are people always so obsessed about downsides? Downsides are not there to balance uniques. You don't get balance from having super strong mods + super bad downsides. It doesn't work like that. Downsides are just simply another mod that restricts the item in the sense that you can't do X without Y or Z is not possible because of this downside.

While I get your point it just doesn't go well with rest of items in the game. Your boots ARE GREAT or if you prefer, they ARE PERFECT. And that's the problem here. We don't have perfect items in this game which can be used by more than half of the builds.

In some games we have many OP items and people can choose whether they want gloves giving them OP fire dmg boost or OP defense or OP nullification of all elements and so on. So people jsut decide in which they want to be OP. But in this game almost everything is mediocre, both defenses and bonuses. You need to mix few items to get something useful by enhanicing small bonuses or even if item have nice bonus you need to balance its dowsides with other stuff.

It's All about CONTRAST

Right now, there is nothing better than your boots. Only builds based around regen or some idiots focusing on having highest amounts of ES on EVERY gear will not take them. The problem is not that they are badly designed, they make every other alternative a trash.

Your design is like giving ancient samurai nation shop with laser swords. Maybe some ninja-clans will stick with traditional ones because new one "glow in night", some might stick with older ones for they unique techniques where they grab swords blades etc.... but all the rest will just walk with f#$#$ing LASER SWORDS which cut every other one in half.
Last edited by Alex_Lied on Dec 19, 2015, 12:30:16 PM
What's crazy to me is that there are 0 ft on standard league according to Poe.trade, but 3 ft in hc talisman!

I was lucky enough to chance a pair with a couple hundred orbs right after they released. Very powerful item indeed, my ci cold crit witch is loving them.
"The Eye of Ra appears against you,
His force is powerful against you.
She devours you, she punishes you
In this her name 'Devouring Flame."
-Anubis Hotep
"
Alex_Lied wrote:
The problem is not that they are badly designed, they make every other alternative a trash.

And if that is NOT a bad design ... i really don't know what is ... and for this i really can't blame Skyforth but the guys over GGG who looked at the boots and said "Yeah that unique is fine, i don't see nothing wrong with it."

I'll say it again ... great boots ... too good for PoE as it is at the moment. Sure the idea behind the boots is good ... but when you create a unique that is simply BiS in even half of the builds out there then it is not a good design. I am aware that these boots are not the only example of such unique items but that doesn't make them any better then those items which are badly designed as well.

Of course this is all just an opinion and it really doesn't matter much ( or at all really ). In any case ... grats Skyforth on the release of your unique i'm sincerely happy for you! :)
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Dec 19, 2015, 1:04:02 PM
"
"
Malone wrote:
"
RagnarokX wrote:

Simple he paid 1000$
Simple the ilvl to MAKE it drop needs to 84 that's fucking insane like that's pretty fucking nuts.

GGG did not mandate ilvl84 drop, he did. So really could have been released at something like 77.

IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Alros wrote:
The boots are great for pretty much any CI/lowlife build. That's what you wanted, that's what you got. (I guess)
And I'm happy you got what you wanted, even though I think they are in fact too powerful for those builds, but whatever.

What pisses me off so much about these boots though is seeing how other top tier supporters are treated (not me personally, haven't designed my unique yet) compared to what you experienced.
Seriously GGG, how can you allow an item with so many benefits while constantly beating down other supporter's design ideas deeming them too powerful when they would grant a fraction of what we got here. What is the thought process behind this? Is there one? wtf!

TL;DR
it's the fact that GGG apparently arbitrarily decides what uniques are powerful and what aren't thhat pisses me (and maybe others off) It's just not fair. Quite dissapointed honestly. :(

Yeah, this is my general take on these boots as well. I'm happy the OP got what they wanted, and that the item is useful and desired. That said, I completely do not understand how this item gets them QA and others either get released in a crappy state or nerfed into oblivion. I have two uniques to design, and most of my time thinking about them has been spent on coming up with ideas that are as independent as possible from the nerf hammer/QA arbitrariness.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info