How i designed my unique - Skyforth Sorcerer Boots

Watching the video was really interesting. Thanks for sharing the process - so so many many emails and ideas. Some of them were way different. I really liked seeing the collaborative aspect.

It's interesting too seeing what didn't make the final version (blue boots the brief sky-themed flavour text). I do like how they turned out even more, and if I found a pair I think they'd nudge me into stepping into a realm of building I've not before.

I didn’t mean to come across as insulting or caustic before, and if I did I’m sorry for that.

It’s mostly that when I see new uniques, it’s the ones that say something that really get to me. Kongming’s Stratagem gave me an instant nerdgasm – most endgame mappers likely moused over it for four seconds, went “Vendor trash. Next,” then promptly forgot it exists, but I see that shield and not only does it tell me a story, but there are Things I Can Do with it. The obvious choice is to Fire Trap in the shield so you get the extra fire damage and an extra socket to work with…but even beyond the obvious, Kongming’s Stratagem sets up interactions and offers build options. There’s, like, three different builds I want to try and run with that fan, and three other builds I’m already doing that would benefit greatly from on-demand smoke clouds. It’s stuffed full of interesting interactions and I have made it a PoE Life Goal to own one someday, when they’ve gone down to 2c because nobody wants them.

These Skyforth boots are immensely powerful. They’ll probably be on future “ID These Treasures” challenges. Finding a set of Skyforths is going to make the entire week of any PoE player who has any damn clue what he’s doing. If I found a pair I’d squee like the excitable Japanese loli half my friends swear I am and send prayers of thanks to Skyforth-the-player...but mostly because they’re a guaranteed double-digits pile of exalts I could use to buy things like Voltaxic Rift or Kongming’s Stratagem or other such toys that let me Do Things.

Anyways. Mostly unrelated note: is the ‘design a Unique’ option closed for any new players to the game? I’ve been semi-considering it, but GGG seems to be avoiding the option for any new supporter pack sets and Divination cards are unbelievably boring. Seems a shame to close it out for new guys, though I totally understand wanting to avoid a massive glut of awkward player-built uniques.
These are a little bit too high-end in my opinion. They have too many unique abilities not seen on rares. Eventually, +1 gem versions will become available, especially on standard, and it's hard to imagine much beating +1 gem Skyforth boots.

Still, they fill a much-needed niche of a super high-end item that has high drop rarity, albeit in a way I don't prefer (map gating). This is good. I'd much prefer to see more uniques that drop with rates much less than the shav drop rates of today.

Unique items so rare they cost 50+ exalted orbs are so amazing as random drops. Even when they didn't drop for me back in the day, I kept playing to try and get one (and I did!). I just don't see many of those types of items right now, which is disappointing.

So, all in all, thanks very much for the boots, even though I feel like they should probably be toned down a bit.
IGN: Fiona_Falconstrike, Geldar_the_Barbarian, Natalie_Fellshadow
Last edited by InsaneWallaby on Dec 18, 2015, 7:21:03 PM
agreed^^ everyone has been bitching how all the uniques lately have been trash (me included:D ) finally a new High-Tier. And I like how its gated...thanks for this :)
"
"
Darth_Silegy wrote:
Man, I hate this item. It's actually good. I want to see people pay thousands of dollars just to get so much disrespect they will quit the game like Myrmi, not this.

That has to be one of the nastiest things I've ever seen on these forums, and I've seen it all. I'm sorry nobody knows you and that you have to attack high-end supporters just to get noticed.

Pathetic.

Sorry for the slight derail, Skyforth, but this person made me almost physically gag in disgust.

he's right, tens of thousands of people are thinking WHO THE FUCK MADE THIS GARBAGE every time some piece of shit unique drops

all the people i showed this game too had the same reaction, it's extremely frustrating, people pay a shitload of money to have THEIR little footprints in this game with their name on it or whatever and everyone else playing gets fucked if it's a moronic unusable piece of shit that's not even good for leveling

it's quite possible that the hoard of useless crap uniques have cost ggg more money in potential paying customers losing interest than the value of the 1k donations

have your little story and fantasy but make it usable too, it's perfectly OK if items are somewhat similar, much better to have a lot of similar items that are good than very different ones that are each useless in their own special way

thx skyforth for an imba item that will go legacy and make me cry because i'll never get it :)
Last edited by 1235 on Dec 18, 2015, 8:25:54 PM
by the way if you try to chance these boots does the itemlevel of the base matter?
"
1235 wrote:
by the way if you try to chance these boots does the itemlevel of the base matter?

No.
Casually casual.

From watching the video, it seemed like GGG wasn't going to restrict it to ilvl 84 until Skyforth specifically asked for it.

If it could have been released as-is but with a lower drop restriction (i.e. ilvl 77 like void battery), wouldn't that be better?

Seems kind of pointless to have such a high drop restriction when red tier maps are so scarce. You need +2 chest level in a T15 map (or +5 in a T12). With current map scarcity, this is basically a chance-only unique.

Extreme rarity is a poor excuse to release something BIS/ this OP. Game balance for high end/high wealth players continues to spiral out of control (the rich get richer).

The downside is obsoleted if you are ES without ZO (i.e. using shavs rev for regen) and/or if you use vaal pact. In many cases the boots provide no downside, along with: stun immunity, 1 extra aura, max power charges, significant mana, max movement speed. [just max movement speed and stun immunity would be better than lioneye's paws, which give you 20% reduced movement speed for stun immunity]

It's pretty extreme. I feel quite sad for Myrmi when I compare these to how badly they butchered Nomic's storm (or even the other unique from that supporter, releasing ghost reaver next to claw nodes on the passive tree simultaneously with the release of the unique claw with ghost reaver, negating the whole point of the unique, tsk tsk).

Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on Dec 18, 2015, 11:19:03 PM
nice stuff.
This item is absurd.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info