Afraid of the new Ascendancy Classes

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Deadpeng wrote:
For those of you who were not here 2 years ago, Path of Exile used to be a game whereby a witch can be a Facebreaker puncher while a Marauder can be a spellcaster.
It still is, and ascendancy classes provide powerful new options for off-class builds as well - a spellcasting marauder is now more likely to play differently than a spellcasting witch, for example, due to being able to take advantage of the extra tankiness of the Juggernaut - a class for which only one of the big nodes (Undeniable) is explicitly limited to attacks, and one other (Unyielding) is implicitly pushed towards attacks due to them being easier to get fortify on.
Every other large node on that tree (and half the small nodes) is just as effective on a tanky caster as on a tanky archer, tanky bowrauder, or tanky melee character. This is intentional.

Keep in mind as well that there are two more ascendancies yet to be revealed for the classes you mentioned.

Spellcasters can't really be made viable without Dodge/Block/Eva and everything except Discharge is kinda undertuned at the moment so you have to stack damage. Your argument is moot. And don't tell me this is going to change, we all know it won't... There will forever be one op spell and the rest will be underwhelming as usual.
yea sure, there will be tons of new builds that werent even possible before, and alot of new things to play with.

what it boils down to for me is that if i want to use the gladiator subclass for a build, i now have to make a duelist.

thats a restriction i would prefer not to have for 2 reasons

1. i would have made that build as a different class just for superficial reaons

2. i already have a lvl 80 character i was planning to use for that build but i only have a lvl 20 duelist (example, not actually true), now i have to go through all the story content that i have already completed again and rebuild that character

the main thing is i am loosing a layer of customisation that doesnt affect gameplay but puts a damper on enjoying the game in a way that i am used to having right now.

my issue is not that i think you couldnt make a creative off-class templar that makes good use of its subclasses, i have no doubts about the creativity of players, its that i might want to use the inquisitor subclass for something, but don't wanna be a bald scotsman
"
MoreDread wrote:
i might want to use the inquisitor subclass for something, but don't wanna be a bald scotsman

Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
SaiyanZ wrote:

This was over the course of almost a year. With the new classes I wouldn't be able to switch builds like this and min-max.

The thing is the game is not made specifically for people like you - I assume you play standard and mostly the same character sort of the way people are playing in a MMO.

So you are right you can't just change but guess what you can make a new character even in another league, mind blown!
Nothing to see here.
Last edited by ReZar on Nov 22, 2015, 9:49:26 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

@shags, it's only power creep if nothing else gets adjusted, which i doubt very much.

Let's ask then... what's the point? If they raise the damage by specters 100% and then decrease the effect of that damage, aren't we right back to where we are now?

It's bad either way. The game is unbalanced because of it's complexity. Adding another layer of complexity will only make things worse. If they do happen to hit on a sweet spot where they beef up the characters at the same time as increasing the challenge they face... we're no better off than we were before.

We, the players, need to guide them. Giving them this hyped based feedback of "wow! Neat! We love it!" without any rational thought put into it as to how it would affect their game is doing them a disservice. They need to know that the majority of players don't know what causes them to enjoy a game... they just play. You can ruin a game by catering to what players think they want.

The point is a high level of individual customization with obfuscated choices presented to the player.

The reason why people are going all "ham" currently is because the subtle choices are obfuscated correctly.

A melee necromancer witch is very much possible for example. Just like an inquisition templar summoner is entirely possible.

the underlying principle will be that both play profoundly differently because of their ascendancy attributes. Thus increasing diversity.

Your discarding in your view that by taking the 100% spectre damage node, your ultimately giving up other perks in comparison. Will it be powerful, obviously and it will put great focus in your build. will it be the best choice? Who know's at this point in time.

Ultimately it doesn't mater if we arrive at the same power vs content balance that we currently have, if the end result allows a more focused and explored play-style.(the differentiation between a ranger projectile caster and a witch projectile caster for example)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
raics wrote:
"
MoreDread wrote:
i might want to use the inquisitor subclass for something, but don't wanna be a bald scotsman

lmao ^^
"
Woodcutta wrote:
Why are the ascendancy classes tied to specific types of character classes instead of being available to all characters? This feels way too much like D3. There is a difference between it being difficult to make the build you want with the character class you want and it being impossible. IMO, every character class should have access to the entire tree (sub tree included). This game was built on build diversity and being able to make the character you want whether or not it is optimal or sub-optimal. Tying, not only nodes but powerful nodes, to certain classes doesn't seem to fit with this way of thinking.

You might not mind that the classes in this game are basically a race instead of a class. All you have that is different between one class and another is the starting point on the skill tree. Big difference to you huh, that might be big enough for you. But it is not enough for the rest of the players and that is why GGG is doing something about it.
"
Boem wrote:

The reason why people are going all "ham" currently is because the subtle choices are obfuscated correctly.

A melee necromancer witch is very much possible for example. Just like an inquisition templar summoner is entirely possible.

the underlying principle will be that both play profoundly differently because of their ascendancy attributes. Thus increasing diversity.

Your discarding in your view that by taking the 100% spectre damage node, your ultimately giving up other perks in comparison. Will it be powerful, obviously and it will put great focus in your build. will it be the best choice? Who know's at this point in time.

Ultimately it doesn't mater if we arrive at the same power vs content balance that we currently have, if the end result allows a more focused and explored play-style.(the differentiation between a ranger projectile caster and a witch projectile caster for example)

Peace,

-Boem-

No they don't just play differently they will be built wrong.In the new expac there will be builds that fit perfectly with the Ascendency passives and then there will be every else.

If you want to play a frenzy charge crit bow skill user for example (which is a popular build for lots of classes) you will have to play it on a ranger or you will be doing it wrong.

Before you could take slightly less damage to get more defence or utility with a different class choice and that would indeed provide diversity within the established builds.After the Ascendency passives come out they are so strong that you must tailor your build to make best use of them.

So yes technically there will be more possible builds(i.e more points to spend) but the amount of worth-while builds will be narrowed significantly.

Now i couldn't care less if i HAVE to make a certain build on a certain class at all in fact i like these changes.But its disingenuous to say that it will increase viable builds.
"Blue warrior shot the food"
Last edited by maxor on Nov 22, 2015, 5:04:12 PM
"
maxor wrote:
If you want to play a frenzy charge crit bow skill user for example (which is a popular build for lots of classes) you will have to play it on a ranger or you will be doing it wrong.

What's wrong with using assassin for crit bow?

I'm thinking general concepts like that will have multiple options, we see shadow and templar with crit caster support and we can safely assume witch will also have it. I'm expecting Templar to get some summoner support too so it won't be just Witch, and god only knows what they're cooking for the only sub a Scion will get.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
One thing people aren't talking about is that these may just be the first subclasses they will release with the Ascendancy expansion. We might get more than just 3 subclasses for each base class in the future. Like they can add 1-2 more subclasses per update if they wished to do so.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info