Afraid of the new Ascendancy Classes

I know nothing is set in stone yet
but is anybody else afraid of the new classes in case of class/build diversity

now i have to choose this class when i want to play this for example
and cannot choose between

:)
any thoughts about this ??

EDIT 1: after reading a lot of youre guys thoughts(in the forum and reddit)
and the answer from mark
iam not that afraid anymore

they do and did a great job so far and kept my interest for over 3000+ hours

here is a video from yoji and at the end he has a really good point
about GGG implementing new stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32RFn2ARJBk

Last edited by Geifer on Nov 21, 2015, 6:24:25 AM
Build/class flexibility is indeed going to go down, but overall build diversity will be increased because of the new options opened up by the ascendancy classes. I don't think it's fair to claim that having a certain build be executable by two or three different classes is really "diversity" when they differ only by five passives.

It's a calculated trade off, and just feeds more into the usual PoE method of planning your build before you make it.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Nov 20, 2015, 8:23:13 PM
good point viperesque
Based on what I've seen, it seems like each Class is likely to have a Subclass with Nodes that can realistically apply to 90% of classes.

Certain classes will be better at certain things, but, they already are so that's not really a surprise.
You can't differentiate the classes without...well, differentiating the classes.

A class that has its own identity and isn't just a phase-shifted start point on the grid is, by definition, not going to have the identity of another class.

GGG said players wanted class selection to matter more, so they're setting it up to matter more.

Besides. People seem to clear content just fine without Ascendancy classes as it is. You can still make offbeat builds on the regular passive tree, they'll just not (potentially) line up as well with the Asc. classes as a build based on the character's core identity would. And as mentioned, some of the revealed classes are pretty much just straight buffs for everything. Juggernaut on the Marauder is basically a giant ball of iron-plated passive toughness - I can't think of a build that couldn't use a giant ball of iron-plated passive toughness, which could also free up a lot of room on the tree for more offensive passives.

If everything else has a similar set-up, just take the defense option to stiffen up your offbeat build and go. And be glad you're not playing Scions. Poor Scions...
Making you select a certain class to optimize a certain build doesn't decrease the number of builds available at all.
For those of you who were not here 2 years ago, Path of Exile used to be a game whereby a witch can be a Facebreaker puncher while a Marauder can be a spellcaster.

It seems somewhat sad to me that this game is going in the direction of Maplestory. Though it can be argued that patch 2.0 has already destroyed most of the 'creative' builds in this game. I guess it does not matter if we go further in this direction now.
"
Deadpeng wrote:
For those of you who were not here 2 years ago, Path of Exile used to be a game whereby a witch can be a Facebreaker puncher while a Marauder can be a spellcaster.

It seems somewhat sad to me that this game is going in the direction of Maplestory. Though it can be argued that patch 2.0 has already destroyed most of the 'creative' builds in this game. I guess it does not matter if we go further in this direction now.

I think that it will be possible. With some creativity.

I'm more worried about the powercreep, but they have months to balance that.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Nov 20, 2015, 9:37:49 PM
"
Deadpeng wrote:

while I agree about that old feeling, thing is this game already had archetypes, and it wasnt exactly from 2.0.

the release basically already introduced real archetypes. whats the last time you've seen a marauder who used traps ? what about a caster duelist ? at about the release was the decision to make toons more specialized in specific builds, ie aura specialization, minion specialization, etc.

when that change was made, it was clear that there were now clear archetypes, since if you had to invest heavily into one thing, and that thing was mostly in shadow area, then a marauder would be bad at it.

introducing subclasses allows devs to be able to introduce powerful passives and not make it absolute hell to blalance
"
1453R wrote:
You can't differentiate the classes without...well, differentiating the classes.

A class that has its own identity and isn't just a phase-shifted start point on the grid is, by definition, not going to have the identity of another class.

GGG said players wanted class selection to matter more, so they're setting it up to matter more.

Besides. People seem to clear content just fine without Ascendancy classes as it is. You can still make offbeat builds on the regular passive tree, they'll just not (potentially) line up as well with the Asc. classes as a build based on the character's core identity would. And as mentioned, some of the revealed classes are pretty much just straight buffs for everything. Juggernaut on the Marauder is basically a giant ball of iron-plated passive toughness - I can't think of a build that couldn't use a giant ball of iron-plated passive toughness, which could also free up a lot of room on the tree for more offensive passives.

If everything else has a similar set-up, just take the defense option to stiffen up your offbeat build and go. And be glad you're not playing Scions. Poor Scions...

I agree poor Scions, all classes but her get three sub classes to choose from. She only has one sub class. I would love for GGG to add two more sub classes for her. That is unless she has the ability to choose a sub class from another class since she sits in the center of the tree. I highly doubt that they will do such a thing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info