Afraid of the new Ascendancy Classes

I think, overall, build diversity will increase. Each specific base class gets added flavor depending on general tree allocation + ascendancy class choice.
One of this game's biggest problems has always been that classes have no identity, IMO. Most builds can be done with 3 or 4 different classes and have hilariously insignificant consequences. I'm all for build diversity, but figuring out which class can save one or two passive points by level 90 is what it ultimately boils down to in most cases. And that gets old after a while.

This ascendancy thing could change all that.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
"
JahIthBer89 wrote:
One of this game's biggest problems has always been that classes have no identity, IMO.

I would say that hardly comes even CLOSE to being on of the biggest problems in the game, but yeah, this definitely looks like a good way to solve it. Although some of these new nodes look like they'll be extremely overpowered. Will have to see how everything else changes too though.
The only thing that concerns me is that the Scion only has 1 subclass. I don't see how it could fit every role the Scion is capable of. Besides that it all looks great!
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
"
Deadpeng wrote:
For those of you who were not here 2 years ago, Path of Exile used to be a game whereby a witch can be a Facebreaker puncher while a Marauder can be a spellcaster.
It still is, and ascendancy classes provide powerful new options for off-class builds as well - a spellcasting marauder is now more likely to play differently than a spellcasting witch, for example, due to being able to take advantage of the extra tankiness of the Juggernaut - a class for which only one of the big nodes (Undeniable) is explicitly limited to attacks, and one other (Unyielding) is implicitly pushed towards attacks due to them being easier to get fortify on.
Every other large node on that tree (and half the small nodes) is just as effective on a tanky caster as on a tanky archer, tanky bowrauder, or tanky melee character. This is intentional.

Keep in mind as well that there are two more ascendancies yet to be revealed for the classes you mentioned.
"
The only thing that concerns me is that the Scion only has 1 subclass. I don't see how it could fit every role the Scion is capable of. Besides that it all looks great!

Probably the idea. Scions are centralized and get access to a ludicrous number of jewel slots next to everyone else, imagine they're going to state that the Scion's generalist nature means it doesn't need Asc. classes. Which, admittedly, everyone seems to do everything with Scions, but still. I actually like the Scion as a character, sad to see them excluded.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Deadpeng wrote:
For those of you who were not here 2 years ago, Path of Exile used to be a game whereby a witch can be a Facebreaker puncher while a Marauder can be a spellcaster.
It still is, and ascendancy classes provide powerful new options for off-class builds as well - a spellcasting marauder is now more likely to play differently than a spellcasting witch, for example, due to being able to take advantage of the extra tankiness of the Juggernaut - a class for which only one of the big nodes (Undeniable) is explicitly limited to attacks, and one other (Unyielding) is implicitly pushed towards attacks due to them being easier to get fortify on.
Every other large node on that tree (and half the small nodes) is just as effective on a tanky caster as on a tanky archer, tanky bowrauder, or tanky melee character. This is intentional.

Keep in mind as well that there are two more ascendancies yet to be revealed for the classes you mentioned.

Yeah, looks like some of the nodes might even open up entirely new off-classing options. You'll just have to be more creative about HOW you use them, rather than merely using the same skill tree with only a few minor changes to the starting nodes.
"
Geifer wrote:
I know nothing is set in stone yet
but is anybody else afraid of the new classes in case of class/build diversity

I'm not afraid at all. Here's the trick - forget diversity, forget balance, just kill shit and enjoy the game.

The more broken game, the less balanced, the better. #GGG2015
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Deadpeng wrote:

In terms of tankiness, it seems there isn't really anything left for the remaining Marauder subclasses that will top having Fortify or 100% spell block that the Duelist has claimed. In terms of attack power then, Shadow subclass will blow Marauder and generally everything else by a mile with the crits. So no tankiness or DPS.. what's left for the Marauder? 100% more useless armour rating lol?

Juggernaut looks to be the weakest and most unappealing subclass BY FAR, out of all revealed subclasses so far.

Hands down, if one were to choose between the neighbors Marauder and Duelist, Duelist is definitely the way to go.
Dark_Chicken - lvl 100 Marauder
Divine_Chicken - lvl 100 Duelist
"
Dark_Chicken wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Deadpeng wrote:

In terms of tankiness, it seems there isn't really anything left for the remaining Marauder subclasses that will top having Fortify or 100% spell block that the Duelist has claimed. In terms of attack power then, Shadow subclass will blow Marauder and generally everything else by a mile with the crits. So no tankiness or DPS.. what's left for the Marauder? 100% more useless armour rating lol?

Juggernaut looks to be the weakest and most unappealing subclass BY FAR, out of all revealed subclasses so far.

Hands down, if one were to choose between the neighbors Marauder and Duelist, Duelist is definitely the way to go.

I think you're underestimating juggernaut's perks. Unstoppable makes you immune to freeze and any slow effects, which means you dont care about chilled ground or temp chains on maps as well as tar zombies.

In fact juggernaut sounds tailor-made for 2H cyclone. nothing slows you down and you dont even have to stop cycloning to cast EC to get endurance charges

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info