Easy fix for the ridiculous stupid map system

OP thinks outside the box, I like it.
"
If you give me a single argument to why running endgame content as you like ak "just keep running it white and never run out of maps" is bad, then I might be on your side.

You won't run out of maps... you maybe fall back to lvl 68 maps (or fkn tier 1 -.-) but that's the worst possible scenario. The problem is, we have nothing else in the end than trying to sustain high level 79-82 (or fkn tier 13-15 -.-). These maps aren't very hard if you run them white. If there is a 100% guranteed drop once you are (or bought a 82 map) you have nothing else to do in terms of progression. For as long as there is nothing else it's like the carrot this game needs in order to keep us going... we need more alternatives for endgame instead of a guranteed map drop system, in my opinion.
Have a problem with something I said? PM goetzjam don't derail a thread.
'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on February 30, 2016 0:61 PM

Help Charan color the board - use [u color] to make your posts shine.
"
There are million ways for currency sinks other then Gating Content.
Bullshit. Try to name one, I'll tell you how it's worse. (Or applaud your genius if you come up with something better, but I very much doubt it.)

I'll start by saying: using currency on gear isn't a better sink. Gear isn't consumable, it lasts forever, so it has a limit on how much currency it can sink. Gear might provide enough sink for a temporary hardcore league, but for anything permanent or softcore you'd need a sink which essentially has no limits. The Standard economy would have collapsed a long time ago if it was relying exclusively on the creation of mirror-worthy items as a currency sink.
"
Gating end game content behind RNG AND wealth is bad. Therefore your argument is invalid. Its that simple.
No, it's not. In order for something to be bad, it needs an alternative to be contrasted against. When your options are bad and worse, bad is good.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 11, 2015, 12:37:23 PM
"
There are million ways for currency sinks other then Gating Content. Gating end game content behind RNG AND wealth is bad. Therefore your argument is invalid. Its that simple.

That argument is essentially:
'Your argument is invalid because I think so...'

Please provide arguments (you haven't done so yet), for why gating is 'bad'...
ALL games of this type does it... its just a matter how open the gate is! PoE narrows the gate more the higher the content, but that's just a matter of degree, not something different from other games. D3 drops are random, and if you don't get the right ones, you don't progress, and so on for other games.

As for me, I like not having everything in a game served to me on a silver platter...
I agree with OP. The maps are still a problem. I don't see why it's a good idea to limit your players with what content they can do
Dynamic Environment - Day/Night, Rain/Lightning - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/110100

GGG's design philosophy in three words:
Quantity over Quality.
we've been through this many times over many years...making a guarantee +0 or +x drop will completely ruin the map system. and its not even an argument

theres no point of rolling maps if you can just 'ensure' your baseline.

if we hold the age old axiom of 'everything can be bought in poe' then you can just buy ONE high level map for the tier you want and then just run it white. repeat forever if its a 81/82. there will be no need for anyone to run a low level map. just get enough currency to buy ONE 81/82 and feed off it forever or until servers fuck up.

sure in this suggestion maps would be much more expensive, but that doesnt really change anything- reducing the supply of maps does not solve the inherent flaw of the suggestion. currency can be acquired through grinding. currency is proportional to time investment.

falling back to lower level maps due to RNG is intentional and needed to keep the current map system working.
Last edited by grepman on Oct 12, 2015, 1:50:16 AM
I guess that suggestion has been made before, but here it goes:

Get rid of maps altogether.

Build an interface with all available Tiers, players can choose higher Tiers if they fully cleared the previous one. (Need to balance bosses for that)

Put prices for rolls, e.g.

- 5 Alts for tileset
- 1 Chisel per Quality
- 1 Alc for Rare
- 1 Chaos for reroll
- Zana rolls
- increasing costs per tier to start the map (e.g. Tier 1/2 -> free, Tier 3 -> 10 Alts, Tier 8 -> 2 chaos...)

So you only roll iiq and iir, as it should be, for item drops, risk/cost vs. reward. Balancing XP for higher tiers would be necessary of course. Currency sink in place.

Yeah, its kinda like d3s rift, but who cares. That system works (at least for me).

Oh, and for additional endgame outside of maps -> /players8 for story areas

"

If you give me a single argument to why running endgame content as you like ak "just keep running it white and never run out of maps" is bad, then I might be on your side.

...Because it would get boring? Besides, it's VERY easy to keep a pool up to 78 maps now, which equals the endgame content before 79-82 maps were added.

"

Your argument is even more valid in todays system. Rich guys or popular guys buy or get donated end game maps and level like X-times faster then the normal folks.

To this point there has been no argument other then: Its bad to run endgame content nonstop. So, WHY, WHY should it be bad to run endgame content? Running endgame content doesn't equal the economy gets flooded. I assume thats what you guys fear but then again its not the same.

Ahem. What the fuck does it matter if some streamer levels up to 100 tens, or even thousands of times faster than you? Are you competing with them or something? If you're really so butthurt about people being faster at leveling in this game, go make an mf build and start trading, or become a popular streamer. Don't just expect GGG to hand everything over on a silver platter.

I enjoy this game for myself, not for the streamers, not for GGG, not for the people who have 12353452 exalts and mirrors in their stash. I enjoy mapping, and after the map patch I enjoy seeing a +1 or +2 levels maps actually dropping from a high level map every now and then. I got no reason to be jealous of people who run endgame content consistently, and even though I'm a solo gamer (though I share my maps in parties of 2-3 people with mates) I've managed to get up to t15 maps even without buying them.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
One things might need to be clarified:
Content to me is ground I can walk on, Mobs I can slay, Exp I can gain thats the essential of an ARPG to me. Loot/items are not content. Maps in spite of being an item are content.
I'm totally fine with item RNG I' not fine with content RNG.

"
kcstar wrote:
"

You won't run out of maps... you maybe fall back to lvl 68 maps (or fkn tier 1 -.-) but that's the worst possible scenario. The problem is, we have nothing else in the end than trying to sustain high level 79-82 (or fkn tier 13-15 -.-). These maps aren't very hard if you run them white. If there is a 100% guranteed drop once you are (or bought a 82 map) you have nothing else to do in terms of progression. For as long as there is nothing else it's like the carrot this game needs in order to keep us going... we need more alternatives for endgame instead of a guaranteed map drop system, in my opinion.

To me, falling back to 68 is the worst that could happen. I rather quit the game then go back. I'm a D2 Player. All I want to do is kill mobs and see my exp bar rise a view pixel every evening. Going back to 68 stops my progress which stops my fun which stops me playing. All the carrot I need is lvl 100 and challenging content(I can literally do 68 blind with my flicker). I don't like trading or map crafting. Both are optional in an ARPG. I do trade and craft once in a while but if I'm forced to do that to progress I rather quit.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
There are million ways for currency sinks other then Gating Content.
Bullshit. Try to name one, I'll tell you how it's worse. (Or applaud your genius if you come up with something better, but I very much doubt it.)

I'll start by saying: using currency on gear isn't a better sink. Gear isn't consumable, it lasts forever, so it has a limit on how much currency it can sink. Gear might provide enough sink for a temporary hardcore league, but for anything permanent or softcore you'd need a sink which essentially has no limits. The Standard economy would have collapsed a long time ago if it was relying exclusively on the creation of mirror-worthy items as a currency sink.
"
Gating end game content behind RNG AND wealth is bad. Therefore your argument is invalid. Its that simple.
No, it's not. In order for something to be bad, it needs an alternative to be contrasted against. When your options are bad and worse, bad is good.

I see your argument however there will always be a gain in ARPGs you always start out with nothing and slowly gain Wealth no matter what. If something doesn't pay off, player will just stop doing it. The key is how fast players are gaining wealth. And that can be controlled by drop RNG and Item/currecy sinks.

"
grepman wrote:
we've been through this many times over many years...making a guarantee +0 or +x drop will completely ruin the map system. and its not even an argument

theres no point of rolling maps if you can just 'ensure' your baseline.

if we hold the age old axiom of 'everything can be bought in poe' then you can just buy ONE high level map for the tier you want and then just run it white. repeat forever if its a 81/82. there will be no need for anyone to run a low level map. just get enough currency to buy ONE 81/82 and feed off it forever or until servers fuck up.

sure in this suggestion maps would be much more expensive, but that doesnt really change anything- reducing the supply of maps does not solve the inherent flaw of the suggestion. currency can be acquired through grinding. currency is proportional to time investment.

falling back to lower level maps due to RNG is intentional and needed to keep the current map system working.

Well for all I care I would happily see it ruined because it sucks. My Argument is: POE is the only game that restricts you from playing the game above 80+ And the restriction is a concrete wall. Its either start trading/mapcrafting or GTFO. And that is bad. I would rather play white maps all day with zero drop chance than start trading and crafting for maps.

"
"

...Because it would get boring? Besides, it's VERY easy to keep a pool up to 78 maps now, which equals the endgame content before 79-82 maps were added.

"

Your argument is even more valid in todays system. Rich guys or popular guys buy or get donated end game maps and level like X-times faster then the normal folks.

To this point there has been no argument other then: Its bad to run endgame content nonstop. So, WHY, WHY should it be bad to run endgame content? Running endgame content doesn't equal the economy gets flooded. I assume thats what you guys fear but then again its not the same.

Ahem. What the fuck does it matter if some streamer levels up to 100 tens, or even thousands of times faster than you? Are you competing with them or something? If you're really so butthurt about people being faster at leveling in this game, go make an mf build and start trading, or become a popular streamer. Don't just expect GGG to hand everything over on a silver platter.

I enjoy this game for myself, not for the streamers, not for GGG, not for the people who have 12353452 exalts and mirrors in their stash. I enjoy mapping, and after the map patch I enjoy seeing a +1 or +2 levels maps actually dropping from a high level map every now and then. I got no reason to be jealous of people who run endgame content consistently, and even though I'm a solo gamer (though I share my maps in parties of 2-3 people with mates) I've managed to get up to t15 maps even without buying them.

Why the heck would it get boring PLAYING THE DAMM game instead of standing in your hideout crafting or worse doing nothing but reading the trade chat. I did hundreds if not thousands of baal runs. And I enjoyed it much more than POE shit map system.

Rofl why do you thing I'm butthurt just because I made an argument. I'm not even into racing. But do you think it is not an unfair advantage to have thousands of followers that give you currency and maps to level faster? Realy? REALY? Wouldn't you complain if you did compete in a race and the first 15 people where all streamers? And making a twitch account and gaining followers ROFLCOPTER is this a fucking job now?

Oh, and for the Record:
Diablo 1 + 2 + 3, Torchlight 1 + 2, Dungeon siege 1 + 2 + 3 and Nox are all ARPGs with ungated endgame content. I would be really surprised if someone can name one other game with gated endgame content.
"This is a Buff"
-------------------------------
There is an old almost forgotten prophecy, that hell will freeze over.
But we just recently discovered the true cause of this unlikely event:
By the time GGG manage to balance their game.
Last edited by restinpieces0815 on Oct 12, 2015, 1:57:21 PM
"

Rofl why do you thing I'm butthurt just because I made an argument. I'm not even into racing. But do you think it is not an unfair advantage to have thousands of followers that give you currency and maps to level faster? Realy? REALY? Wouldn't you complain if you did compete in a race and the first 15 people where all streamers? And making a twitch account and gaining followers ROFLCOPTER is this a fucking job now?

I probably wouldn't, since PoE is a casual game. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never played a competitive game before; I came to PoE from ACTUAL competitive games. Why should I care if I lose to popularity in a casual game?

I don't really understand your super-casual mindset either. If you just want to level up as fast as possible without working for it, then maybe PoE isn't the game for you? As I understand, GGG tries to make this game "hardcore", whatever that may mean.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info