How should incinerate be rebalanced? Vote now

"
RagnarokChu wrote:

Almost all builds can get huge defense along with huge damage with any amount of investment, if you just lower the base damage by 20-30% it would do shitty damage by default unless you have high end gear. Which then it does shitty damage with high end gear. Nerfing it by 20-30% base damage would imply that it does 20-30% more damage then it should compared to other abilities.

The point is that incinerate is out of line with other abilities, and it needs to be reigned back in. This is better for combatng power creep than boosting everything else as well.

"

You didn't counter anything, all you said that there was "more diversity" because people played low life crit less. Did it somehow open up more builds to be played or is there less of an option since other people moved from low life crit to the other builds that where popular and not low life crit? Moving the 100 people to low life crit into the 5 other popular builds (20 each) didn't add diversity. Now you don't have the option at all go to low life crit.

Also you act like YOUR personal experience matters more then other people, low-life crit shouldn't exist because YOU where tired of seeing it in high level maps? You didn't answer the question is there more diversity now because of low life crit. Not less people playing low life crit, the actual amount of viable builds increasing.

You also don't need to play high level map rotations to use a low-life crit build, if I personally want to play low-life crit as a solo player or if I want to play with my friends I should have the option.

Eh don't know why I bother, you're putting words in my mouth and then arguing against your version of what I said.

In 1.2 4-5/6 players would be LL crit. In 1.3 maybe 3/6. Now it's 1/20-30. So you see more different builds in rotations.

I didn't say anything about whether it shouldn't exist, all I said was that we have more build variety in high level rotas, meaning you see more different builds. I personally enjoy seeing a variety of builds and mechanics so I thought it was a good change.

Your argument about variety being equivalent to possible builds is inane. Currency and patience makes any build possible.
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
"
eragon1111 wrote:
Incinerate is not a problem. Too many spells are bricked by GGGs nerfs. The fuck happened to arc? Where is fp ?

A lot of things happened, but mainly: Incinerate got massively buffed to compensate for the shotgun fix, through base damage, cast speed, LMP/GMP buff, which made it better than all trash-clearing focused spells (Arc, burn prolif, etc.).

At the same time, Slower Projectiles got super buffed, so you can still regain close to your old single-target Incinerate dps with a simple support gem swap. But for generic map clearing this isn't even necessary.

Leech got nerfed, and Incinerate is one of the best spells to use with the new leech mechanics, thanks to its rappid cast rate, and its massive damage enabling a Life Leech game without gimping the character.

Mana sustain got nerfed, but Incinerate has the best options to work around that (Elreon rings, building in BM area as dedicated noncrit spell, Pledge of Hands, EB/GR, and toteming the skill).

Base dps of some of the dedicated close range spells at level 20, for reference:

Freezing Pulse: 1100
Lightning Tendrils: 1032.5
Flame Surge (with burn bonus): 1605
Incinerate, stage 4: 3670

And Incinerate is not even a real close range spell when you use good wands...

Last edited by Zed_ on Oct 12, 2015, 4:29:58 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Still, I will admit I had not considered the Mortal Conviction + Vaal Pact combo. I had considered aura stacking (in the usual mana reservation sense) and in all of those cases the proper play is: you don't need to reserve 100% of your mana, just unreserve a Herald and accept an Incinerate with a small but manageable mana cost, you'll do a heck of a lot more DPS. For example, with the build you linked the Heralds represent about 4% of your damage each, and that's against a monster with 0% to all elemental resistances... against 40% resist-all it's more like 3% per Herald. You get a lot more DPS from accepting a moderate mana cost for Incinerate, still very easily sustainable on just a little mana regen.

However, your build has no mana, and no life regeneration either. I think it is still an option to go Faster Casting anyway and just rely on leech to recoup the costs, but it's a much less comfortable decision, because you'd be absolutely relying on leech for sustainment. Since that impacts which map affixes you can run, I'm inclined to agree with your support gem decisions.

So okay, I'll admit it, I was wrong. If you're running Mortal Conviction and Vaal Pact, or I guess Shavronne's Revelation for ES regen (for which a similar principle would apply), then maybe Faster Casting is a choice rather than an auto-include. But for pretty much everyone else, it is still optimal. A literally zero cost Incinerate is more novelty than power, unless you can add additional mechanics to leverage that power somehow.

TL;DR: Way to find the exception to the rule, Anu.

You should probably look at the 2nd build (post #2) that's the real build, which the first converts to, one might think you had by reading what you wrote, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Also, this.
"
davidnn5 wrote:
Incinerate and the others are not the problem. They are the few examples left of builds which actually accomplish what an end-game spec in an ARPG should accomplish - clearing monsters quickly while not dying all the time.

Incinerate and very few other skills can accomplish what others should be able to. Should, in a system where progression is a product of wealth. You can't have build diversity and wealth gated content or it comes down to the few builds that can progress with least cost, incinerate builds achieve this by their ability to run many stacking mods that other builds can't.

I made several builds that were fun but would cost too much in rolling maps to progress. I then made 2 builds that could progress at minimal cost.

If nerfing Incinerate means nerfing the damage so less can be spent in defence and it is brought in par with the many other builds slaved to the chaos spam of maps, that's a big step backwards, not forwards.

Either remove wealth gating of content, or buff other skills, glass cannons don't cut it, in most cases adding sufficient defences hits damage too hard. Incinerate works, most skills don't, in the current map system.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Oct 12, 2015, 6:43:03 AM
There's no problem with Incinerate.

The problem is that every other skill is so godawful bad that it hurts to even consider using it.
There's your bloody reason, GGG overnerfed everything and we just use what can actually clear shit, without going full glass-cannon like a retard.

Let's take LIGHTNING STRIKE as an example, my favourite skill in this game.
How many uses it? Nobody, that's correct, it's godawful and what happened? Lmao they added STATIC STRIKE so they didn't have to think about it, most people seem to have forgotten the skill actually exists.

So no, let Incinerate stay as it is, else we'll end up dicktickling throughout the entire content in the near future if you want everything "optimal" nerfed to the ground.
Participated in the working of the Dyadus Avatar of Fire Templar:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/896505
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

You should probably look at the 2nd build (post #2) that's the real build, which the first converts to, one might think you had by reading what you wrote, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Linking to your own build as an argument for why builds don't use faster casting is kind of silly. You don't even mention your tooltip DPS anywhere in your OP, so I will assume it's decent but not amazing 20-30k LMP? Your incinerate build is not the strongest variant on the skill. Check out character Anapoe (63k LMP + 8k LIFE not ES), or this guy's build (200k SP + 5k life + 75/75 block). Both have better survivability than your character as well as double or more DPS. Both also use faster casting...

canceling spell echo option is the best IMO
Forum pvp
"
MatrixFactor wrote:
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

Linking to your own build as an argument for why builds don't use faster casting is kind of silly. You don't even mention your tooltip DPS anywhere in your OP, so I will assume it's decent but not amazing 20-30k LMP? Your incinerate build is not the strongest variant on the skill. Check out character Anapoe (63k LMP + 8k LIFE not ES), or this guy's build (200k SP + 5k life + 75/75 block). Both have better survivability than your character as well as double or more DPS. Both also use faster casting...

I'm kinda puzzled as to how you arrived at the conclusion that I was claiming any of the things you dismissed and also how you arrived at your claims of the survivability. You seemed to totally miss the point of the build.

And why is linking a build (whether my own or not) that doesn't use FC in response to a claim that every build should, silly? I'm like, wtf?

Really strange post.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Oct 12, 2015, 10:51:37 AM
"
lolozori wrote:
canceling spell echo option is the best IMO

Have you tried to make an incinerate build without spell echo? You haven't because the mana cost is unbearable.

Like always ignorant people with ignorant suggestions to nerf really the only good spell (dont bring totems into this)

People doing dps comparisons of level 4 incinerate LOL. Completely neglecting the fact that takes time to ramp up to and never exceeds that damage, unlike every other spell, which can crit.

Theres a reason why no ones really using other spells because GGG has removed all defensive options that are essential for casters, while also neutering the whole idea that spell casters shouldn't have mana issues. You don't see melee having life regen issues or ranged characters having a lack of crit? Mana is essential for caster builds, but GGG has removed all incentive to actually invest into it (like the old AA)

GGG needs to readd AA and change the current AA into some other thing if they want it, AA ensured that the mana regen casters invested into also went into pretty much the only defensive mechanism they had, now they literally have 0 defensive options, so iron will builds or builds that don't need crit are succeeding.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Last edited by goetzjam on Oct 12, 2015, 11:07:57 AM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

I'm kinda puzzled as to how you arrived at the conclusion that I was claiming any of the things you dismissed

This is the part I'm responding to:

"
TheAnuhart wrote:

Some builds can utilise FC and it's a no-brainer, some can for tooltip dps but not be as good an all round build than if using another support instead.

Telling someone "Simply put, if you believe Incinerate is not always supported by Spell Echo and Faster Casting, your feedback is invalid, leave thread now." is not only rude, but actually quite funny as the party lacking validity in feedback seems to be you. The door.

Scrotie is usually correct, and he was correct to tell people who don't use faster casting to be quiet.

As far as I can tell the point of your build is to run any map mods. Well Anapoe's build can run literally any map mods at double the effectiveness (damage) of your build, so your build is pointless (from a power point of view). If the point of your build is survivability, I believe he eclipses you on that front too. He's done all the 81-82 bosses deathless, whereas there's a gif of you almost dying to a 75 orchard boss in your own thread? As a result whether you use faster casting or not is meaningless to whether faster casting-supported incinerate is something that should be considered. The fact that the best incinerate builds use it, means it should typically be used. The rest is noise.

It's like saying SRS not supported by spell echo isn't OP so SRS isn't OP, a completely meaningless argument.

"
TheAnuhart wrote:
I noticed an alternate build one post down, which has Blood Dance boots. Didn't look at anything else. But since Blood Dance means no Vaal Pact (I assume), once again, Faster Casting is definitely ideal for that build, and you should switch over. You're overly obsessed with literally-zero cost.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 12, 2015, 11:20:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info