How should incinerate be rebalanced? Vote now

I decided to try incinerate last night on a scion that was lvl 32 specced for poison arrow. Im following anapoes build since thats a huge chunk of life and ttdps. (I prob wont go for the +1 to all gems Infernal mantle guessing about 80ex). Very fast to lvl, my ttdps is at 2000 with very little passive investment on a tabula in act 1 cruel. Def powerful and somewhat op but i think its telling that in both hc/sc 1 month its poison arrow builds that are 1st to 100.
My point is i dont like huge nerfs, things like block cut in half (then they made everything easier to compensate and the number of builds doing uber skyrocketed.)
Last edited by Fhark on Oct 14, 2015, 2:35:07 PM
"
grepman wrote:

3. survivability is very good due to incinerate being self-sufficient. you don't really have to invest into damage, you can just go stack life, defenses, block, jewels, whatever the fuck you want.

lol?
Is the most hilarious thing I've seen lately... Run some maps of level 76 and higher without investing in damage and then come to tell us how it went.

Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
"
Actkqk wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

3. survivability is very good due to incinerate being self-sufficient. you don't really have to invest into damage, you can just go stack life, defenses, block, jewels, whatever the fuck you want.

lol?
Is the most hilarious thing I've seen lately... Run some maps of level 76 and higher without investing in damage and then come to tell us how it went.

Have you seen Anapoe's tree? I posted it some pages before. His tree takes 244% increased life. He also does 50k tooltip LMP with proj speed from tree without the +1 armor. 50k tooltip incinerate is incredibly fast clearing. One of the few builds that could clear mobs before I hit them with my cyclone in a 6p party.
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
"
MatrixFactor wrote:
"
Actkqk wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

lol?

Have you seen Anapoe's tree? I posted it some pages before. His tree takes 244% increased life. He also does 50k tooltip LMP with proj speed from tree without the +1 armor. 50k tooltip incinerate is incredibly fast clearing. One of the few builds that could clear mobs before I hit them with my cyclone in a 6p party.

Please link to the guide.
"
MatrixFactor wrote:
"
Actkqk wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

lol?

Yes I saw it, and clearly has several points invested in damage. "Several" is very different to "nothing".

Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
"
Actkqk wrote:
lol?

Count them

Harrier because I path through it (actually considering a version that stops short of harrier for points to put into armour).

Pain Attunement because, well of course.

Witch 16% spell node being the lvl 100 ding point, like the point at which playing it stops. Ergo, it isn't used.

Points invested into direct damage: 3

Points invested into direct damage that are required: 1

Maps of 76 and higher? I Can put my hands on a lvl 82 VoD quickly. Was a Zana 82 so no real mods. But this build is specifically made to run any and all mods. I've cleared 82 maps rolled with 80% fire res + EE + Enfeeble dealing purely fire damage with the above 'direct damage' point investment and a level 19 incinerate. I could easily switch to consuming dark but I don't need to, that's how effective incinerate is in "some maps of level 76 and higher without investing in damage" and I'm here, telling you how it went. Lvl 100 solo.

;)
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Oct 14, 2015, 3:57:21 PM
Hmmm.. Lets see:

1) No crit Chance (no CoC, no damage multiplayer, no mega multipliers with flasks and charges)
2) Damage scales with usage time, starting low then getting better
3) Moving, interruption, stopping (doing ANYTHING ELSE) resets damage scale
4) No kiteing
5) Must invest entire build to make it strong.

I really don't see the problem with it. It has very large drawbacks along with a good amount of bonuses.

This thread seems more hyperbole than fact. I've played 2 nice incinerate builds, one to 92 (pre 2.0) and one to 87 (post 2.0 in warbands). I've since tired of incinerate and have branched out to other character types and skills. I will probably use the awaiting full respec on my 92 incinerate scion for some other build type just to keep things interesting.

My poll answer: Leave it alone. Seems fine to me.
"
Galtrovan wrote:

The game before maps is a joke. What a 4-link Incinerate, or any skill, does before maps is irrelevant. If you stick with self-cast Incinerate best of luck to you when you get to mapping.
thank you for the luck wish. I will report back when I'm in high 80s

about the other apart- sorry, disagree. vehemently disagree.
are you saying I can take a glacial cascade or a ice nova gem, stick it in a 4L and CRUISE through the game playing SSF aside from shitty elreon rings, in a torment/warband/beyond/domination/anarchy/nemesis all the time setting, which is supposed to be the most challenging league ?

if you are saying that, thats a lie. if you are not, then incinerate is CLEARLY above most other skills while leveling
Low life max auras can be strong with a lot of skills, not exclusively incinerate. All the jewel nodes (and paths to them) should be counted as DPS investment. I'd even count the aura nodes partially as dps investment since low life max aura typically runs haste + anger + herald of thunder + tempest shield, which all get buffed 66+%. It's efficient DPS investment though, because the jewels and auras provide defense as well. But again, building this way is not exclusive to incinerate. There are coc wand builds with very similar passive trees (example), capable of clearing much faster and getting infinite potions via surgeons. Sustain is easier too (fewer elreon slots) because lvl 1 barrage has a base cost of 6 vs 9-10 for incinerate, and the supports with coc don't scale the cost much.

re. the post above mine: I cruised through the game to 70 using lightning tendrils in a 3L in a prior 1 month; also did it using flame totem in a 4L. This recent 1 month, many people did it with poison arrow.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on Oct 14, 2015, 4:15:36 PM
"
SuperMotte wrote:

Faulty logic, the difference is that a strong skill and fast clearing speed isn't necessarily bad (= disease) but the game designer actually wanting the player to clear areas fast. But if one skill is stronger than the others than it clearly is overpowered and bad.

sorry, but why are you you making a de-facto assumption of 'game designer actually wanting the player to clear areas fast' ?
that wasnt true in closed beta in 2012 for anything besides races. that isnt particularly true now in 2.0 either. players wanting to clear areas fast is because its most efficient and natural to other arpgs. so players pick skills that fit THEIR expectations and not GGGs expectation of what the game should be.

do you know why *most* people hate 2.0 meta ? because the game forces them to be more defensive, and slows down the game. people have to be more careful now UNLESS they play op builds. it actually forces them to play the way GGG designed it and not with their expectations. so instead they pick op skills to keep playing what THEY think the game meta should be against what GGG thinks the game meta should be

2.0 was designed to curb the power creep, and in fact was an effort to do the opposite of your assumption. the designers have actually STATED on the record that they felt the game was too easy on all stages, especially leveling stages.

"

Think about Dark Souls where you don't fight 20 monsters at once and a single normal enemy can take more time to kill than a whole group in PoE.
Path of Exile is DESIGNED to kill mass monsters fast (for example: with Incinerate). But killing a group three times the size of a normal group with monsters five times as strong in less time shows:
1) that skill is probably overpowered
2) the first one (= Incinerate) is actually the exact opposite from being overpowered or
3) the game progression is shown with stronger skills (besides other stuffs), Diablo 2 had some similar skills on it's active skill tree where one is stronger then the other one (Immolation Arrow being a stronger Fire Arrow with AoE)

3) seems to be not the case for PoE where every (active) skill is supposed to be equally useful when geared right.

Hence, it is a valid argument that there are other skills stronger.
so, you are agreeing here, correct ?

"

Maybe Incinerate has the actually wanted clear speed from the view of the designers? Maybe GGG wants every skill to be as strong as CoC 95% crit chance and has problems with other skills keeping up? Maybe the thread creater was right and Incinerate is overpowered from the view of the actual designers (actual designers = NOT YOU!!!) and they actually want everything to be weaker but have problems there without making people rage?

uh...is there a point here ?
Im not campaigning for GGG to nerf it. I'm just stating why I think its overpowered (and many other builds are). if we have 50 spells and most people say incinerate is clearly better than 48, and those 48 are on the same page, its gonna be easier for everyone to nerf it, just from common sense. if you have a hair or two sticking out out of line with your other hair, you are probably cutting that hair rather than using rogaine on the rest of your hair, yeah ?
if you have 50 employees and 48 of them make 80k and one makes 100k, if the goal is to bring everyone in line, which is gonna be easier- raising the salary of all of them to 100k or having one paycut ?

thats what op is in a game that strives for balance- standing out. people are too sensitive to the meaning of the word.

but its not like Im gonna be a fucking pest about it and make 10000s threads to nerf it. all I'm saying and arguing is that incinerate is pretty damn op. firsthand experience leveling from scratch, second hand experience in maps (soon to be first hand experience)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info