Map Tier concept

Also,

Tier 3. Game3ez

Reportedly one of the highest death-toll maps according to GGG. (Random passing remark somewhere I think)
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Oct 5, 2015, 1:21:31 PM

cannot even tell if this is legacy or not..

tier system. 0/10
After all this negative feedback I really want to see what they plan to do to fix it.
"
Orbitalx wrote:
After all this negative feedback I really want to see what they plan to do to fix it.

Ok let's be real it's not *that much negative feedback. This thread is only 6 pages long + however many pages of negative feedback occurred during the announcement post.

I actually like the color coding. The "tier" concept itself is not bad at all, but how it correlates to everything is the problem. I would have liked the old system with the new color coded maps. That would have been great. Instead of forcing me to do more mental math and breaking my search filter, i would have been able to recognize everything as it was, and in addition to, visually pinpoint the high level stuff. That's simplification, but admitingly that's not what they were trying to solve for. As one player suggested, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a 1:1 relationship between mobs, levels, and char level. That would eliminate the 'omg I'm level 98 I totally don't get what maps I should run.'

But GGG loves this sort of shit. Almost every aspect of the game is based on some sort of calculation. So there is no surprise here except that they intentionally tried to simplify something for once, and I guess trying to simplify stuff is not their strong suit.
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.

I don't think the above really needs much further elaboration; alone it's pretty self-evident how much of a problem the "tier" numbers are. (For reference, each pair is a legacy and Awakening map, in that order)

When it's come to map balancing, GGG has been hit-and-miss. SOME of the things in 2.0.4 were perhaps nice, others not so much.

• I'm pretty positive that they gave map drop rates a BIG boost; rough estimates so far suggest at least 30% more maps overall, and that's a conservative figure. That's ONE way to try and fix a problem, but MAY run the risk of annoying players as they drown in garbage-tier maps. I don't know who considers "sorting through your low-tiers to vendor them up properly" to be riveting gameplay.

• Ironically, the colors seem to be a GREAT idea, but not perhaps for the reason GGG intended. I don't think any of us players obsessed enough with the game to progress on mapping CARED about the different "difficulties." However, the color-coding has all the more highlighted when RNG has screwed us over on drops, when we run a yellow or red map and get a huge load of white-color maps. (exasperated hilariously by the previous change)

• Chris's statement on the "tier number" is the most ironic thing I've ever seen with PoE, because he EXPLICITLY states "resolve this confusion." It's pretty clear that at the very least, it's merely CREATED more confusion. This one change has been a swing and a miss.

Another side effect I've also discovered with the tier numbering change: Poe.trade can no longer search level/tier for maps. So now shopping (painful enough given the slew of "online" shops that aren't, and the countless other problems the system has) has become even MORE sluggish and painful, as now users have to search for each map individually, rather than just simply enter in a level, and quickly see all of the relevant maps.

"
demon9675 wrote:
It's a new layer of obfuscation sold to us as a resolution to a problem that I'm skeptical even existed.

This particular sentence is a thing of beauty. It summed it all up PERFECTLY.

"
holocaustus wrote:
Tier + 67 = map level

It will probably find its way into the advanced tooltip script at some point.

At which point one may as well not even bother with the "tier" number, really.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
while maping i may have found the real reason for this change.

so i've been running maps for like 1 1/2 day in the race and am around tier 4-6.

i was running a tier 4 map and several tier 3 maps dropped. while running the map all of a sudden i wasn't sure anymore what tier this map was so i pressed "tab" (out of habbit) and realised that this is how GGG wants to reduce the crying.

you can't instantly tell anymore if the dropped map is a +1, -1 or same level. you actualy have to actively think and convert tier to maplevel and vice versa. no more brainless "tab -> map level 71 -> map boss dropped 69 -> fuck it".
"
Ruefl2x wrote:
you can't instantly tell anymore if the dropped map is a +1, -1 or same level. you actualy have to actively think and convert tier to maplevel and vice versa. no more brainless "tab -> map level 71 -> map boss dropped 69 -> fuck it".

Clever, but it has one flaw - mentioned cry came mostly from high level players which did hit hardcap on map levels or softcap on RNG (droprate of maps). These people actually know what map map they chiseled/chaosed/vaaled to have packsize and high item quantity and perhaps even used fragments. It doesn't matter if you call it tiers or levels.
So I hope you guys label maps better or go back to the old system.
Map tiers are really bad.

I went to color-coding maps using the loot filter, that helps a bit. But yeah, I am running a map, something drops, and I have to think first about whether I should be happy about it or not. Also the entire map system is so stupid that the only thing I can think about is how to sustain my map pool so that I can keep playing. Exalt drops? Not even that happy any more, it is not sustaining my map pool...

Psychological effect, I know, but enjoying a game is a lot about psychology and rewards. GGG needs to understand that.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Ruefl2x wrote:
while maping i may have found the real reason for this change.

(snip)

The term for that is "obfuscation" and few consider it a legitimate strategy to deal with an issue. (That is, making it much harder for those experiencing the problem to figure out what's going on)

And yeah, for the more serious among us counting our drops... No, it didn't stop us. It merely added an extra second or so per map as we did the conversion. The results were the same, at least numerically... Only with the added perceived insult, like this would fool people.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info