Map Tier concept

"
demon9675 wrote:
It's a new layer of obfuscation sold to us as a resolution to a problem that I'm skeptical even existed.

To me it stinks of the implication that all of our complains about high level content being gated behind RNG instead of difficulty were misinterpreted as us not understanding we're not supposed to run maps the same level as our character level. No veteran players thought that. We meant exactly what we said: content should be gated behind difficulty and not RNG.

We were ignored, which is GGG's prerogative, but they didn't need to clumsily try to mask the fact that they were ignoring us with superficial "solutions."

I honestly believe this change is insulting and pointless. I cannot for the life of me understand why serious people are defending this. It's literally nothing more than a cosmetic change that adds another layer of complexity for no reason. It's not that these changes make the game worse in any way, it's just that a huge amount of player complaints were met with a whole lot of dismissive nothingness.

The exp gain change also seems empty to me: just artificially and hamfistedly increasing the amount of time streamers/no-lifers need to spend to level without adding anything to the endgame. I disagree with some of Charan's recent posts - we really, really do need more enhancements to the endgame, not just fleshing out the early-midgame experience (not that I'm against doing that as well).

I keep coming back to the PoE forums hoping for a reason to return to the game, but instead I keep finding new reasons to be glad I left.

This is exactly how I feel about wannabee changes that are provided to us.

After trillion of complains about lack of endgame content which force GGG to softcapping high level maps behind RNG we got this... name change with elaborate explanation worth of several months of hard work - that we are not supposed to think about maps as areas with level.

XP gain reduction is something similar. GGG is like: Hmmm, you are not happy because you are unable to get into high level maps? Oook, we might do something about this one... what about reduction of XP gain from higher maps, now you shouldn't feel the need to get them, right? Are you happy now?

Hell no I'm not happy.
Last edited by Diphal on Oct 5, 2015, 3:08:21 AM
I have actually seen a lot of people in gameplay help wondering why they are slaughtered in lvl 74 maps with lvl 75 chars.
It's not intuitive to always do fine in content with the same level, and all of a sudden you're expected to be 10+ levels ahead.

So I understand Why they are doing it.

Still don't think the solution they came up with is any good.
I think it would have been better to display XP penalty on mouseover.
"hey look, I still get 100% XP in here!"
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
It had worked.

Noone is talking about map drops anymore..

Serious note. This is most probably a first step to zana-fication of maps (tier 9 tropical etc). But as a change in itself it is a worthy contender to the worst pointless change of 2015. It is even 'better' than mine placement fiasco.

Seriously this is garbage change that does not 'settle in'. Regal recipe uses levels not tiers. Crafting brackets use levels not tiers. Xp penaly uses levels not tiers. Etc etc.

Lvl 75 player in lvl 74 map? Lol. How did he get there in the first place? Anecdotical evidence is not an evidence.
or they could have added one line of text saying:
recommended level: 80 and more
"
reliq wrote:

I don't think that this issues deserves developer's time at all.

This wasn't issue before and I doubt it became issue recently... players were capable of finding out on their own that level of character means very little when it comes to capabilities of the build.

Either I have no issues in certain level of maps with certain pool of mods and therefore I can try to progress to higher level or I have issues and therefore I wont progress to higher levels. It couldn't be more simple.
Last edited by Diphal on Oct 5, 2015, 4:30:03 AM
"
reliq wrote:

Just as pointless as tiers. You can have a good build/gear and you can have a fail build/gear at level 80.

The only relevant info is the monster level and resulting loot level. Everything else should be left to the player to figure out.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
After several days of testing this new system, I'm under the impression it doesn't bring any clarification, and the former system was better.

Just my 2 cents... I think map level should be monster level, THIS is clear.
What bothers me most though this is absolute lack of any response from GGG.

Great job, guys.
I don't care what they call it; tiers, color of their underwear, lvl, or what, as long as the damned things drop!

I see a definite improvement over map drops since patch. Not scientific, mind you, just a player's intuition and short term empirical evidence.
Censored.
tiers are really really really stupid

but then again so is the balance around certain bosses and how lower "tier" is harder than x higher "tier"

thought this was funny though

"
Chris wrote:

Map Levels are now Tiers
There are 15 tiers of maps, from level 68 to 82 inclusive. We've struggled for ages with the confusion caused by this. Players expect to play maps of their level (which can be way too hard for them), or make arguments about that they're level 95+ and can't find a level 80 map. Players with backgrounds in contemporary MMORPGs expect to play content equivalent to their level.

In order to resolve this confusion, maps now display a tier rather than a level. The level can easily be calculated. Tier 1 is level 68 (or level 66 if it's an old map graphic).

As a side note, this makes it hard to distinguish between old (pre-Awakening) unique maps and their post-Awakening counterparts. It may be best to put them in different places in your stash.

hurr durr boys EZ tier 4 map must be EZ i just did a tier 6 and it was EZ BRuh

so yeah the tier system is just plain dumb but it also doesn't really do anything either or change anything

so.... meh....
Last edited by Pepock on Oct 5, 2015, 12:13:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info