Why Alt F4 / Portal out?

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
a lot of people arnt calling it a joke, thats something you just made up. You and a ridiculously tiny minority of people are.

its not a cheap and bad mechanic, and its not being abused, its an intended mechanic that is working fine and resulting in the sort of play it is intended to result in.

yea, made up, just read this thread and similar one that pop up here on PoE, on reddit in fact go visit other forums, and read them a little, visit grim dawn forum what they think about alt f4, visit diablo, blizzard, visit runic forum, diablo fan forums. So no, I dont make things up, and I know truth hurts.

It is extremely bad mechanic, as its not normal to have in game mechanic where you can alt + f4 or us macros. When you post that on other arpg forum, people laugh how shitty it is.

"
1235 wrote:
"
miljan wrote:

Listen to me fanboy, you should stop defending bad mechanics in game, and call other people noobs because they want that shit to be fixed.

Dont care how many timew you cheated with using alt f4 and how much HP you have left, this should be fixed. And you should die if you dont know to play and got yourself in a bad situation from witch you cant get out.

Its really funny what shit people will defend. Unfortunately nothing new.

the truth is you are too slow to use altf4, you tried and you failed and you want other people to die like a noob just like you, this is what all these threads are about every time, noobs who fail and want others to fail too

and nobody refuses to use it, they are just too dumb to use it in time

No, the truth is its a shitty mechanic. Not interesting in using dumb things in game, even if those games are balanced around it.

But nothing new from a fanboy that gets angry when people start talking about lazy thing the game has and what needs to be fixed.

The only thing dumb in all this is existence of this cheats. Just go out of POE (or in PoE as we can see in this thread) on any other game forum and post we balanced the game around people using alt + f4, they will laugh the shit out if it, as they did in forums where POE is talked about.

As I said, if it was not sad, it would be funny.
Obviously most of you guys discussing here do not play HC in POE, cause otherwise you wouldn't write what you do. So let me explain how it works. The game is hard enough that people die even with the fast log out possibility (everyone dies - check tempest ladder and see dead characters). Sometimes you are dead in less than 1 second or you get instakilled. So the difficulty of hardcore lays in speccing and gearing the way, that you don't die in fracture of a second. It is still not possible to do high level content without really good gear and knowledge of the game. The difference between softcore and hardcore is when you don't know what you are doing (read skill and knowledge), you will die and lose your character no matter if you can log out or not. In softcore you lose experience and cry about it.
"
miljan wrote:
visit diablo, blizzard, visit runic forum, diablo fan forums

a minority of players who frequent a forum for a game made for 12 year olds where if you die in hc you are restored to 100% life because you have a passive that stops you being able to be killed...

k

think what you want man its a free world.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
miljan wrote:
visit diablo, blizzard, visit runic forum, diablo fan forums

a minority of players who frequent a forum for a game made for 12 year olds where if you die in hc you are restored to 100% life because you have a passive that stops you being able to be killed...

k

think what you want man its a free world.

Yea man, all this forums including PoE forum are in minority. Haha, good laugh. I know that truth hurts, but whatever keep your eyes shut, it will not change how things are.

But as I said, bad mechanic need to be fixed, and there is no doubt alt f4 is one of them. Not the most important lazy thing in game that needs fixing, but it is on the list. If PoE HC league and the game as a whole wants to become better, this shit needs to go.
poe being the most serious hardcore arpg that exists, and the games u reference that dont have it like d3 are a complete joke period, and even within that joke d3 hc is a joke in itself. Me being a player who has never logged out in hc, doesnt have a log out macro, truth hurts? Ok mate.

Just saying, one of us here is hurting and being bitter, making a big deal over nothing, and its not me.

If PoE hc wants to become better its not going to do so by following what the other arpgs u mention are doing, seeing as they are all shit and are no way near as serious a hc arpg as poe. Lazy is a cheat death passive because your game is a total joke with such shit combat mechanics that you cant even factor skill into play.

Humm. Heated discussion, it seems.

My own take on F4 / portaling out is simply that I don't use it, because I don't enjoy it. In fact one of the reasons why I don't play hardcore, is my feeling that hardcore would require these techniques, i.e. require me to switch to a playstyle that I simply do not enjoy.

I'm not claiming that this the only way to see these techniques, or that it's the "right" way to see them. But I can probably explain where my preferences are coming from.

Throughout several decades of gaming, I have learned that I feel rewarded in an ARPG when I am able to overcome the game's challenges by using a clever combination of character building, gear, and playing skill. There have always _also_ been techniques that made fights easier by reducing those factors, like e.g. stocking up hundreds of healing potions. I stopped using those techniques pretty soon since I realized they made the victory feel completely non-rewarding for me. Getting through a fight by quaffing one potion per second from a practically unlimited supply, instead of using well-thought out defenses and clever positioning, just doesn't make me feel powerful or clever. On the contrary, it makes me feel powerless and dumb if I needed to use such a completely un-epic crutch. It just doesn't feel like I won an epic fight, when I waved goodbye 10 times and took a tea time.

Closing the game to prevent bad consequences of my actions, is another thing that would make me feel silly. My enjoyment in games comes from making decisions, and then experiencing their consequences, which are hopefully good due to me making good choices, which feels rewarding. Evading those consequences by closing the game, feels to me like reloading a previous save because something bad happened. It just isn't enjoyable, and it makes me feel like a cheater. It removes the feeling of having mastered something, when I only achieved it by using techniques that can get me out of any situation that is even remotely dangerous.

To me, it is very disappointing that the game seems to expect players to apply these techniques, at least in the hardcore leagues. The game has been balanced around techniques that make me feel powerless and insufficient, instead of empowered, skillful, and clever. What's especially vexing, is the fact that I actually _like_ permadeath, and aren't discouraged by tough challenges. I played NetHack for 14 years (without save scummming) before I managed my first ascension. And it felt great, and epic, and immensely rewarding. I would like to have this feeling in PoE Hardcore too, but I can't - either I use techniques that take the reward out of anything I might achieve, or I die.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents. :)
Last edited by Psyringe on Sep 10, 2015, 11:55:40 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
poe being the most serious hardcore arpg that exists, and the games u reference that dont have it like d3 are a complete joke period, and even within that joke d3 hc is a joke in itself. Me being a player who has never logged out in hc, doesnt have a log out macro, truth hurts? Ok mate.

Just saying, one of us here is hurting and being bitter, making a big deal over nothing, and its not me.

If PoE hc wants to become better its not going to do so by following what the other arpgs u mention are doing, seeing as they are all shit and are no way near as serious a hc arpg as poe. Lazy is a cheat death passive because your game is a total joke with such shit combat mechanics that you cant even factor skill into play.

Dont care did you ever log out or not, that doesnt change bad mechanics that are in the game. The only thing it shows is how bittern you are, when you talk about something that I didnt ask you in the first place.

Yea poe "the most serious arpg" and even shitty d3 did a better mechanic than PoE.

Ohh you are bittern, a lot, as I just commented on the problem of the game in this thread. You jump and try to defend something that can not be defended and pull bullshit like i dont use log out and similar crap, I never asked of. Truth hurts? When you miss the point from a mile in rage, no, but I like to see fanboys go in rage mode and start shitting on other games and boosting how the game they play is hardcore and crap like that. But than you look at alt + f4 and laugh xD.

Also lol on your comment on MY GAME xD. Dude, if you have nothing to defend for alt + f4, and the only thing is you can attack other games, dont post at all, dont lower your self even more.

Game needs fixing what is bad, and you not using that shit mechanic doesnt make that mechanic any better. It needs to go. And relax man, no need to go in rage mod over other arpg games, some of witch do a lot of better things than PoE.
Last edited by miljan on Sep 10, 2015, 12:15:29 PM
"
miljan wrote:
blah blah...

this is your rage mode thread, you are the one who brought up these other games, no one else is raging theyre just telling you how it is, deal with it. Im far from a fan boy, Im mostly known on these forums for being hyper critical of the game and constantly having issues with many things that I post about at length. This is not one of them, it used to be, I used to think like you back when I first came to this game and then over time I actually realised why it is this way, why that makes for a better game.

I dont use logouts, Im not a blinded fanboy of this game, Ive got nothing to be bitter or upset about, Im just someone who can be bothered to tell you what the deal is. The other 99% of the forum that know what I am saying is right are so far beyond having this conversation, have just been here and said these things so often so long ago that they cant even be bothered trying to communicate with someone like you. This is a topic that was put to bed years ago by clued up people.

When I say 'your game' I dont mean YOU, I mean blizzards game, they have to put in a cheat death passive in their game because they havent made a game where you can avoid damage by having skill, that is the ultimate in lazy design. If you dont even know what im talking about there then you basically dont understand the games enough to be having this convo with me.

Im done replying to you, have fun responding to this with "omg ur so mad hahaha omg fanboy lol, game so bad lazy game hahaha your upset cause your fanboy of bad game lelele omg lol" which is about as meaningful as your debating seems to be.

"
Psyringe wrote:
I would like to have this feeling in PoE Hardcore too, but I can't - either I use techniques that take the reward out of anything I might achieve, or I die.

Ive died once in hardcore to the dominus rain in normal difficulty first time I played dominus and didnt know what the rain did. Ive never logged out, dont have log out macro, you dont have to use it or die. If you are going to push for 100 in extremely hard rolled maps and play like a crazy person flying through mobs taking massive risks then maybe youll die, if you just take your time and play smart then you should be fine providing your build is solid. I dont trade in hardcore, purely self found, never died in cruel/merciless/maps ever, I just get bored of the self found grind somewhere in the 80s and reroll. Its not that bad man, the game essentially is not that hard if you just play smart and take your time.
Here's what we've learned from the discussion within this thread:

The only thing separating 'hardcore league' players from standard league players is the quick logout to avoid death.

So, here's a question:

Why even have two separate leagues at all when there's only one thing differentiating the two?

I have a solution!

GGG makes ONE temp league rather than two. Call it Hardcore. Have it run under the exact same premise as the current 'hardcore' temp league, except for one difference.

Have a quick log out command tied to one key (ie F4) and make it mappable (maybe to several keys?) to a user's preference via the in game menu.

That way, there's less dilution of the playerbase, the economy takes on a more HC look, and no one needs to worry about losing XP anymore. :D

Everyone would be playing the same version of soft-hardcore that is currently available, only under the same roof! Togetherness at last!

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

"
Psyringe wrote:
I would like to have this feeling in PoE Hardcore too, but I can't - either I use techniques that take the reward out of anything I might achieve, or I die.

Ive died once in hardcore to the dominus rain in normal difficulty first time I played dominus and didnt know what the rain did. Ive never logged out, dont have log out macro, you dont have to use it or die. If you are going to push for 100 in extremely hard rolled maps and play like a crazy person flying through mobs taking massive risks then maybe youll die, if you just take your time and play smart then you should be fine providing your build is solid. I dont trade in hardcore, purely self found, never died in cruel/merciless/maps ever, I just get bored of the self found grind somewhere in the 80s and reroll. Its not that bad man, the game essentially is not that hard if you just play smart and take your time.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

So far, my impression was that playing self-found (which I prefer) _and_ hardcore without logoffs, would require more playing skill than I could possibly have. This impression was formed especially by reading lots of times that logoff is an intended and necessary mechanic, and seeing streamers using it deliberately. Hearing from a self-found hardcore player who does not use that mechanic, does encourage me to try it myself one time - perhaps in the next challenge league, who knows. :)

It might just end in me finding out that it doesn't work for me, but if there are other players who can do it, then it's at least worth a try.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info