In-Game Trade System: Cancelled?

"
yungwhiz wrote:
As long as someone else is willing to do the work for free it will never come. If you want an in game trade system start a buyout and shut down poe.trade crowdfund.

I understand the interest in outsourcing/cost-cutting, even if it isn’t “intentional” - as in they never really asked for the outsourcing, but it was basically inevitable given the incredibly impractical system in place originally.

However, even if I understand the interest in outsourcing, that doesn’t mean I agree with the practice. If it was made clear that it was the direction GGG was taking with their game I would have to reconsider my support. Hence, the question.
Get at me in game @Jyyn

Do you like feedback? http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/355307/page/1
Last edited by Phoobrak on Aug 27, 2015, 8:53:01 PM
"
peachii wrote:
"
For all GGG gets as much as they can done, they are still a very small company and all systems rely on the funding of the customers. Do you think that an overhaul of this magnitude would be cheap? Do you think the overall player base is willing to wait a year or more for any other content to be able to code and pay for the trade changes?

i've waited longer than a year and paid ggg a few times. i would much rather have some kind of functional trade than any of the patches since forsaken masters.
i'm no longer willing to wait and continue supporting this game when all the patches they release and content that degrades my enjoyment of the game instead of adding real functionality that's really needed so ppl can actually play instead of spending the whole day bashing their head against the wall that is trade.
"
peachii wrote:
The tech, the time and the cost are more than likely limiting factors for an upgraded trading system. We will eventually see an upgraded trading system it's just going to take GGG time to be able to integrate it into the systems.

For all GGG gets as much as they can done, they are still a very small company and all systems rely on the funding of the customers. Do you think that an overhaul of this magnitude would be cheap? Do you think the overall player base is willing to wait a year or more for any other content to be able to code and pay for the trade changes?

They are doing what they can to make it a bit easier with what they have to work with right NOW instead of a year from now. I wish they would just buy out poe.trade and run it themselves to keep the downtime to a minimum, link to it from here on the forums.

Agreed, these things take time. Agreed, an overhaul like this is likely to be costly, complex and divert a good part of the dev team's attention to be a success. Agreed, GGG is a small team with an ambitious project, and I respect that 100%!

Here is a quote from Chris - pay attention to the date it was written:

on February 8, 2013 1:31 AM
"
Chris wrote:
Improved trading functionality is coming as soon as we get time. Thankfully we're making good progress getting through the urgent post-open-beta stuff so this is getting closer.

This means that about 31 months ago, GGG had begun work on such a system, and were already letting us know it was coming.

What would, for you, be a reasonable timeframe for such a feature to be completed and implemented, keeping in mind that trading is the very most core feature of PoE as a game? This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm curious to know your thoughts on this because it is very important for the conversation.

My issue with this, and the point of the OP, is that we have been left in the dark for much more than a year about a system overhaul that a great number of people seem to find crucial to their enjoyment of the game.

The "response" quoted in the OP seems to indicate that we should stop hoping for such an addition. I am looking for a straight answer - it's OK if this is the direction the game is taking, I just need to know so I can adjust my support accordingly.
Get at me in game @Jyyn

Do you like feedback? http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/355307/page/1
Last edited by Phoobrak on Aug 27, 2015, 9:55:11 PM
I'm sorry, but I really don't think it would be as difficult to make a searchable in-game database as GGG, or their white knights, would lead us to believe. Honestly I don't even really care if it ever happens any more. I just wish that GGG would be more forthright in their communication. I'm tired of all of the spin and misdirection.
Last edited by impotentwinnebago on Aug 27, 2015, 10:11:23 PM
"
I'm sorry, but I really don't think it would be as difficult to make a searchable in-game database as GGG, or their white knights, would lead us to believe. Honestly I don't even really care if it ever happens any more. I just wish that GGG would be more forthright in their communication. I'm tired of all of the spin and misdirection.

I'm 100% with you on that. I haven't been here for the longest time but I do notice the Dev's fail to speak out to many of the popular topics on the forums. Staying quiet is a much worse stance than occasionally making a fool of one's self. The latter is always almost forgivable.
"
Phoobrak wrote:

on February 8, 2013 1:31 AM
"
Chris wrote:
Improved trading functionality is coming as soon as we get time. Thankfully we're making good progress getting through the urgent post-open-beta stuff so this is getting closer.

This means that about 31 months ago, GGG had begun work on such a system, and were already letting us know it was coming.

What would, for you, be a reasonable timeframe for such a feature to be completed and implemented, keeping in mind that trading is the very most core feature of PoE as a game? This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm curious to know your thoughts on this because it is very important for the conversation.

My issue with this, and the point of the OP, is that we have been left in the dark for much more than a year about a system overhaul that a great number of people seem to find crucial to their enjoyment of the game.

The "response" quoted in the OP seems to indicate that we should stop hoping for such an addition. I am looking for a straight answer - it's OK if this is the direction the game is taking, I just need to know so I can adjust my support accordingly.

I can't find the direct quote but the developer who was coding that left rather suddenly out of the blue to work for a different company and with GGG being in NZ they couldn't find anyone to replace him on the team in a timely manner.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

"
peachii wrote:

I can't find the direct quote but the developer who was coding that left rather suddenly out of the blue to work for a different company and with GGG being in NZ they couldn't find anyone to replace him on the team in a timely manner.

To expand on this, for those who didn't know, NZ law makes it really hard to hire people from abroad. You are only allowed to do that after you proved that you tried everything to hire from within the country. Works great in the health sector (Kiwipino nurses), but apparently not so great in the gaming sector.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
peachii wrote:

it was rather that ggg decided their implementation wouldn't be good for the game because of players specifying buyouts, which i agree upon.

see chris on trading @23:20 min.

what i would like to see is an ingame interface where players could place offers of things they want to buy and having a price attached they can afford for that item. if nobody is selling for that price they have to increase their offer.

that would prevent buyouts, is some sort of haggling, prevented flipping. i made a suggestion post about "bots" (buyer oriented trading system), didn't get much interest.

most players are just interested in selling things as quick as possible at which point i just hint them to the ingame traders ;)

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
The day that comes out is the day when cows rule the world in short

Never.

I see you are skeptical of Cowmageddon.
Udder devastation is imminent - I for one welcome our bovine overlords.
No sense spending time and money duplicating what somebody else already did a pretty good job with. Poe trade already gives a search function to find what you need. If GGG implements cross instance / asynchronous trading and a true method of showing who is online, we get pretty much everything we need. Add in a separate noticeboard for those who want to spend their gametime buying and selling and I think most issues are taken care of.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info