Sweep

"
TheDarkerOne wrote:
"
Sweep: Area of effect increased by 30% (from 20 to 26), and no longer knocks enemies back beyond the max radius.

Will this ever be changed and if not is there a reason for it to stay that way?

1. Probably not.
2. For conventional use, duh. Sweep really suffered from pushing enemies outside of its own radius, which is especially problematic with Multistrike linked (whoops, first swing pushes them outside the radius of the two repeats, great..). This change turned the knockback from regularly-detrimental to actually-good.
"
Vipermagi wrote:

1. Probably not.
2. For conventional use, duh. Sweep really suffered from pushing enemies outside of its own radius, which is especially problematic with Multistrike linked (whoops, first swing pushes them outside the radius of the two repeats, great..). This change turned the knockback from regularly-detrimental to actually-good.

I get exactly what you mean if Sweep wasn't supposed to be a crowed control tool. Why else would it have knockback, low damage increases and less attack speed? I understand that some people might want to use Sweep over Earthquake for AOE as personal preference, I'm not going to dictate how people should play the game, and I understand how frustrating it would be if enemies would constantly get knocked out of your attack range (isn't that an issue with Heavy Strike?) but if you ask my opinion that's kind of a design flaw if the intended use conflicts with the actual use. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what GGG intended this skill to be used for and it's my fault for not looking into it properly before conceiving my character.
I don't see how there's any conflict here, except in the fringe-case scenario of Empire's Grasp. Conventional use combines crowd control and AoE Damage perfectly; while using Sweep you're almost entirely immune to melee enemies because the knockback keeps them out of range, and the knockback limit means they'll always be taking Damage to boot.
Sweep's design flaw used to be that it knocked enemies too far, so GGG fixed that.

Skills are not designed to function with one specific item in mind, they are designed to function as-is. Sweep functions as-is.
I hope to change specification that does not move the character when using the Sweep.

Currently, character uses the skill after get there if player clicks a enemy by the Sweep (it is assigned besides the left button).
This is same behavior as other melee skills.
But character uses the skill without moving if player clicks a ground.
This is same behavior as the spells such as the nova, but other melee skills does not behave like that (e.g. Cleave, Earthquake, Ice Crash, etc).

As the melee skill, the Sweep of current specification is very hard to use that character does not move to clicked point.
Gotta admit, I think sweep really needs a buff. Earthquake and Icecrash both blow it out of the water.

I LIKE sweep and all, but I'm trying to find a real upside to it above the other 2 options-- ice crash scales with +Physical just as well as Sweep does, and the Knockback of sweep is laughable as an upside.
The only real thing it has going for it is its ability to use multi-strike, which isn't strong enough IMO.
it's time to nerf imbalanced sweep even archers abuse sweep to oneshot shaper through double dipping knockback

maybe some uniques with mods like +500% to knockback distance will make sweep usable(it also will be fun)
less attack speed is fine, but where is huge damage multiplier(like sunder have) to compensate?
100% knockback chance(and knockback distance maybe) will be good even with crappy dps sweep has now

how about knockback reflect? so big boys like brutus can reflect your knockbaking back to you and you knockback yourself instead of brutus
Last edited by koreec499beta on Apr 16, 2017, 10:40:19 AM
"
koreec499beta wrote:

how about knockback reflect? so big boys like brutus can reflect your knockbaking back to you and you knockback yourself instead of brutus

Joking aside, a skill with inverse knockback would be fun for Ranged characters; an attack that hits the enemy and immediately jumps you backward away from them, with a cooldown of some sorts.
Well, I think I am going to make this a yearly thing now, to ask GGG to buff this skill in the "sunder usable" range, or maybe create some treshold jewels for it.

/remindme 1year.
Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
I'm a huge casual. I played physical sweep. I played sweep as a JUGG and as an Ascendant. JUGG for JUGG reasons. Ascendant for double-curse (vulnerability punishment) + lots of physical life-steal and life regen (delve league). My JUGG ~85, my ascendant is still leveling ~65

Sweep is a fun meme skill, in both its notority and simplicity of usage. Earthquake always feels like it does most things better (plus having a vaal), while also being able to keep my character "safe" (which is what sweep's knockback did) - since I could walk away from my earthquake point of origin and still play effectively. I sometimes swap sweep for either EQ or Cleave, with all my other skill gems in tact. I'd say sweep has an interesting advantage over Cleave in AOE, but not so much over EQ.

I still think Sweep is a great skill to keep as-is because having a diverse pool of simple/basic skills are what makes this game fun. I wouldn't want to see significant change to the skill since I think any significant change should just become made into new skills - I don't like "reworks".

I have a few friends who play PoE and I stream a little for just to show off my roflcopter glory. Meme skills are important for fun lol

To enhance Sweep's as-is properties, threshold gems may make things interesting, I can think of things like:

"50% more damage, 50% less attackspeed, 100% knockback, +100% knockback distance). This would make it even clunkier lol but godly as a phys skill now.

Or perhaps "Sweep kills generates rage" or perhaps "+20% movespeed if you used sweep recently". This may help low attack speed sweep builds be able to travel better.

I would really hope to see a threshold for sweep, as well as for other skills. My overall view of threshold gems is I hope that we get more, to the point we are given "options" to pick between different threshold gems for a skill rather than feel certain ones are a given for a skill always. Meaning, I don't mind the feeling that it's mandatory to have a threshold gem, it's just at the moment we don't have a choice for most skills. Hope threshhold expansion could come as a future patch.

tl;dr - sweep is fun, hope it never changes in its basic functionality and feeling, I'd recommend a threshold gem to improve upon damage or mobility, I'm a huge casual anyway so what do I know
GGG any chance for 3.6 sweep rework? Staff melee build is really terrible now.
If I go first, I'll wait for you in the other side of the dark water.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info