[2.0.x] Iron Will Incinerate Totems 1200+ Strength, 16k+ tooltip, 8k+ life (updated 11/13/2015)

I see a lot of comments about one of the only issues being that sometimes the totems are "too squishy". Couldn't that be solved by simply taking 1 or 2 of the totem defensive nodes that require no travel? 8% resists all and 8% reduced physical plus the life totems they add are really powerful.
"
Love the build Fenrils! Thanks for posting.

<3

"
have you tried similar with a traditional caster this patch?

I assume you are asking if I have tried self-cast incinerate with the build? The problem with self-cast incinerate is that while its damage ceiling is likely higher, the mana cost keeps it from being playable for this style of play. We're abusing the fact that the base mana cost is so low so our totems don't cost anything to place down.

Past incinerate, there were two other specs I considered before going out and building this, namely Ball Lightning and Glacial Cascade. Both of those can likely do quite well in the realm of Iron Will (and even scale well off of crit if it will fit) but the trees are spread pretty thin and the build is unplayable until your 80s. I played this build from day 1 of Tempest so I couldn't run something that I needed level 80ish to start playing so it more or less forced my hand. You are absolutely welcome to give traditional caster iron will a playthrough though! The more manly casters, the better.

"
I see a lot of comments about one of the only issues being that sometimes the totems are "too squishy". Couldn't that be solved by simply taking 1 or 2 of the totem defensive nodes that require no travel? 8% resists all and 8% reduced physical plus the life totems they add are really powerful.

Not really. Unfortunately the defensive nodes don't really add much because the base life of a Spell Totem is so damn low. Our only real option is to equip Spire of Stone during maps/encounters that require a tankier totem. I have one sitting in my inventory most of the time alongside a Flesh Offering for those pesky Necrovigil packs. I really wish Spell Totem matched the quality effects of Flame Totem that gave increased totem life instead of placement speed :/

We get around the squishy totem downside by having totems that put out a shit ton of damage and have a large range, keeping most things from even touching them. Other than that, just keep Spire of Stone on hand.
I'm running an Incinerate Totem Build myself and I quite like yours too.
IGN - Blackdepp
Why waste so many points traveling to the duelist?
Last edited by grizzlybeardlive on Sep 26, 2015, 8:14:11 AM
ok so i did some test early game playthroughs, i figured i might as well post what i found to be a good way to level up

1) mule fire trap+freezing pulse @ witch/shadow

2) do egg quest, get flame totem. Do crab quest (important if you want to keep leveing up freezing pulse without +int amulet).

3) kill brutus, do fairgraves quest, reach merveil. Buy firestorm. Try HARD to craft +1 fire scepter somewhere between brutus and merveil. It's OP. (Team play alert: beg your friend for flame surge+incinerate+flame dash gems)

Passive tree at merveil kill looks like this: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEAe4wlJ11JZ5uuPsauC2GvbGjy8B-iAASzwGY=

4) Do act 2 as usual, get herald of ice (since low int to keep up with herald of thunder requierments as it levels up). Take ancestral knowledge/expertise soon after merveil kill. Then proceed to take elemental damage at templar. Buy iron will gems as you get spare alteration orbs (Team play alert: beg your friend for faster casting and conc effect gems)

Passive tree at the end of act 2 looks like this:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEAe4wlJ11JZ5uuPsauxPYLYcQVffWvbGjy8B-iAASz4XPAZpo77TyCm9Wm7Dg62CcvkFU=

5) as of act 3, pick up elemental damage (celestial cluster) and go bottom straight for blood magic (Hardcore alert: it might be better to pick life nodes at teh start of marauder instead of celestial cluster). Do NOT pick up dual totems yet, firestorm+fire trap+flame totem is enough for normal

Example passive tree at the end of act 3
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEAe4wlJ11JZ5uuPsauxPYLYcQVffWvbGjy8B-iAASz4XPAZpo77TyCm9Wm7Dg62CcvkFUaOFnzcg9xhXrmY_1G1_MRsUJyqfcy6hj46xRxDjzfv9tP4MMlvA==

From there it's pretty straightforward. Get more life, get Arsonist cluster. You know how it goes.

I think perfect time to get dual totems is somewhere just before cruel malachai

Good luck in 1 month league and have fun!

Last edited by silentwrath888 on Sep 26, 2015, 11:47:22 AM
Yay more people playing my build :D

"
I'm running an Incinerate Totem Build myself and I quite like yours too.

<3

"
Why waste so many points traveling to the duelist?

I've done some math compared to making the journey over to witch and the damage is, admittedly, a tad less but you gain far more strength, some nice life regeneration, more armour, and jewel slots. If you are running the build in a softcore league, I'd still suggest running over to duelist but travelling to witch is also an option if you simply want to maximize damage.

"
stuff by silentwrath888

Solid writeup. My leveling up tree differs from yours a bit as i followed the route through Heart of the Warrior and Arsonist really early. This mostly stems from the fact that I was leveling in a four man party that made up for the weak early game of the build. For solo play, taking your route up to Templar early and then down to blood magic is likely the ideal scenario. We get so many free respec points anymore that it is absolutely a viable option.

"
I think perfect time to get dual totems is somewhere just before cruel malachai

Thats actually around when I got it as well. This was day 2 of Tempest so it was pre-malachai nerf and I was chosen (lucky me) to solo most of cruel malachai and snapshot 1 man life for everyone. I ran flame totem for the fight as the totems were tankier and it wasn't too bad getting him down. Iirc I had ~3k life at the time so I was easily the tankiest in my party.

"
Good luck in 1 month league and have fun!

:D

This is a great build for the 1 month everyone! Without some nuts RNG you won't hit the numbers that my character currently has (or some of the other high end characters posted in this thread) but the build is still fantastic at a lower gear threshold. Also, even with the Celestial Justicar nerf, six links are much easier to get anymore so that isn't too much of a concern either (especially on days when the Tempest buff is active as there'll be an upswing of corrupted 6Ls for sale, hopefully in our colours).
Looks solid was wondering why you dont use spire of stone all the time, since it seems to have no downside (aside from one gem slot) and a pretty large upside of inc not being interrupted and resetting for the totems life.
"
Looks solid was wondering why you dont use spire of stone all the time, since it seems to have no downside (aside from one gem slot) and a pretty large upside of inc not being interrupted and resetting for the totems life.

Outside of ele reflect maps or aoe heavy bosses it's never been necessary for me to keep on as things usually die before they ever get close to the totems. Jewel slots also add a lot of damage (400-600 tooltip) if they are rolled well so it actually means quite a bit to lose a jewel slot to it.
This looks like a, um, ...

FENTASTIC

build! :-)

Right now I'm playing dual flame totem in Tempest and am trying to be super cautious. Had I seen your guide earlier I'd certainly be using it instead. What I think I'll do is begin leveling Spell Totem and Incinerate while slowly collecting the uniques used by this build. I'll transition to Incinerate at some point and then, if I can manage to 6-link a good chest, will plug in Iron Will and equip the strength-enhancing uniques.

Anyhow, nice build!
Last edited by hankinsohl on Sep 28, 2015, 7:05:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info