"
caboom wrote:
i think GGG should rework this skill to be based on atributes:

add fire damage equal to str * "x"
add cold damage equal to int * "x"
add lighting damage equal to dex * "x"

I'd love it and I'd theorycraft the hell out of it
Nothing here
Made a non-crit low life wander with Piscators, a 6L, herald of ice/thunder, anger, a bunch of aura effectiveness and buff effectiveness nodes. With Blood Magic Blood Rage combo up, single target DPS was showing 6k. Gear was not optimal at all but the DPS of this skill is abysmal.

Some quick math showed that Power Siphons 125% effectiveness would greatly outclass the ~150 base damage added by ele hit...

Spoiler
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
the biggest thing holding elemental hit back is the fact that it does not scale. the mana cost can be an issue, sure. that can be worked around with gear and spec. the base damage is a bit low, but that can be scaled up a ton with spec and weapon elemental damage on gear... but what really holds it back is made visible you compare it to say.... cleave or static strike or even power siphon.

if you were using wrath and anger and both heralds to truly maximize your elemental damage on attacks: the 1.3x damage on cleave when dual wielding, or the 1.2x on static strike followed by a .7x1.2 aoe, or even the 1.25x on power siphon, the multipliers on the auras alone surpass the base damage of elemental hit. so even a build that manages to fix the mana and scale up the base damage on it, still you can't overcome the lack of scaling from additional elemental damage.

my proposed change - elemental hit no longer adds the flat damage to the basic attack damage. it only does the elemental damage. then it adds a 1.3-1.5x more multiplier on all elemental attack damage.

this would make it scale at least as well for elemental damage attacks as other skills. and personally, i think it's cool to have to work around one thing (such as the mana cost) to take advantage of another (high scaling and base damage if this change were implemented). that's part of what makes this game so great is the tradeoffs that have to be made to figure out how optimize.

i love this skill, and i'd love to see it work. but i'd prefer to keep it as unique as possible, so i think this would be a very good way of solidifying its uniqueness while keeping some strong counterweights such as mana cost and unreliability due to switching elements.
"
trolldemort wrote:
"
caboom wrote:
i think GGG should rework this skill to be based on atributes:

add fire damage equal to str * "x"
add cold damage equal to int * "x"
add lighting damage equal to dex * "x"

I'd love it and I'd theorycraft the hell out of it

oh hell yeah! + new animation
"
thalassemia wrote:
the biggest thing holding elemental hit back is the fact that it does not scale. the mana cost can be an issue, sure. that can be worked around with gear and spec. the base damage is a bit low, but that can be scaled up a ton with spec and weapon elemental damage on gear... but what really holds it back is made visible you compare it to say.... cleave or static strike or even power siphon.

if you were using wrath and anger and both heralds to truly maximize your elemental damage on attacks: the 1.3x damage on cleave when dual wielding, or the 1.2x on static strike followed by a .7x1.2 aoe, or even the 1.25x on power siphon, the multipliers on the auras alone surpass the base damage of elemental hit. so even a build that manages to fix the mana and scale up the base damage on it, still you can't overcome the lack of scaling from additional elemental damage.

my proposed change - elemental hit no longer adds the flat damage to the basic attack damage. it only does the elemental damage. then it adds a 1.3-1.5x more multiplier on all elemental attack damage.

this would make it scale at least as well for elemental damage attacks as other skills. and personally, i think it's cool to have to work around one thing (such as the mana cost) to take advantage of another (high scaling and base damage if this change were implemented). that's part of what makes this game so great is the tradeoffs that have to be made to figure out how optimize.

i love this skill, and i'd love to see it work. but i'd prefer to keep it as unique as possible, so i think this would be a very good way of solidifying its uniqueness while keeping some strong counterweights such as mana cost and unreliability due to switching elements.

Or GGG can just improve base damage, added by Elemental Hit. They nerfed it before for no real reason, now a major buff to added elemental damage is almost all Elemental hit needs to be viable and unique.
150 base elemental damage is way too low. Buff it to 300+, and see what happens.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I am currently playing a melee elemental hit character, here's what I thought of this skill:

1. Terrible animation, no different to standard attack. Hopefully ggg will give it some love and add some special effect; light the melee weapon with red, blue, green with each hit, or the projectile if the player uses ranged weapon, colour according to which element is being initiated.

2. Weak compared to it's newest sibling Wild Strike or Frost Blade. I think adding some buff to the base damage or attack speed is needed to allow this skill to be popular.

3. Hard to survive with this skill. I feel as a melee character especially no aoe like ground slam or range like forst blade, players are constantly in very deadly range with mobs, and yet I cannot sustain blood rage because Blood Rage leeches only physical damage, same as all the passives. So I am stuck with Life Leech gem which in terms decreases the skill power once again..

Above are my thoughts and feedback regarding to this skill gem. I am still low level so I could be very wrong. But graphic wise would be very appreciated to have something implemented.
Last edited by lugaluga on Aug 6, 2015, 7:55:42 PM
Tried doing a Shadow Bow Elemental Hit. Failed poorly honestly.

I got a level 16 EE gem attached to a bow that only added ele damage and it's damage was out beaten by a level 10 lightning arrow. I've considered that a +3 Bow would make this strong, but that's far too expensive for me to craft personally.

I considered using a +3 Bow and EE+WED+Innervate+Phys to Lighting + LMP, before realising a +3 bow is stupidly expensive. With Innervate along with HoT, It was nice seeing all the Onslaught and Lightning Strikes, but without gaining additional Freeze chance from the tree, it didn't help me much with the other elements (Though freeze kind of happened with HoI procing occasionally - Ice Bite/Hypothermia not worht it for this skill).

Going over all that it just seems like too many links to make it effective for what it does. Admittedly, I could have speced more into chance to freeze/shock/ignite, but that becomes a bit of a stretch. Perhaps if I didn't go Evasion/ES I could have been more survivable to stack more points into damage.

I honestly think that if the quality on this was more chance to *status ailment* (15/20% at 20 quality), along with more base damage you could do more with it. But it otherwise takes way too much invest to even do basically well in comparison to Lightning Arrow, Ice Shot or Burning Arrow.
Last edited by Liquid_Blade on Aug 6, 2015, 1:53:05 AM
"
Liquid_Blade wrote:
Tried doing a Shadow Bow Elemental Hit. Failed poorly honestly.

I got a level 16 EE gem attached to a bow that only added ele damage and it's damage was out beaten by a level 10 lightning arrow. I've considered that a +3 Bow would make this strong, but that's far too expensive for me to craft personally.

I considered using a +3 Bow and EE+WED+Innervate+Phys to Lighting + LMP, before realising a +3 bow is stupidly expensive. With Innervate along with HoT, It was nice seeing all the Onslaught and Lightning Strikes, but without gaining additional Freeze chance from the tree, it didn't help me much with the other elements (Though freeze kind of happened with HoI procing occasionally - Ice Bite/Hypothermia not worht it for this skill).

Going over all that it just seems like too many links to make it effective for what it does. Admittedly, I could have speced more into chance to freeze/shock/ignite, but that becomes a bit of a stretch. Perhaps if I didn't go Evasion/ES I could have been more survivable to stack more points into damage.

I honestly think that if the quality on this was more chance to *status ailment* (15/20% at 20 quality), along with more base damage you could do more with it. But it otherwise takes way too much invest to even do basically well in comparison to Lightning Arrow, Ice Shot or Burning Arrow.
The quality should be flat elemental penetraions imo.

Im doing an elemental hit build right now and that seems to be one of the bigger issues.

1)Elemental hits base damages for each of the hits is far to low.

2)Increased elemental damage virtually doesnt do enough for it, you need high attack speed and high elemental damage, theres no good pure ASI nodes anywhere.

3)Lack of penetration. You use elemental weakness/assassins mark because you have to, if you use assassins mark you cant ele weakness without dual curse and you really dont have room on your tree/gear for that.

4)Mana cost is still out of this world for what it does right now

5)Dexterity requirement on this ability is also absurd for it. Level 20 you need something like 151 dex just to use the ability.

I forgot to add, this is more of a witch/templar ability. It really doesnt make sense why its dex based, the last time ele hit was used was with totems.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Aug 6, 2015, 7:04:36 PM
I had high hope for this skill with Picator's Wand, but failed miserably once again...

I really hope GGG can do something about this skill gem, it's really a shame that it cannot be utilised in any way.
"
lugaluga wrote:
I had high hope for this skill with Picator's Wand, but failed miserably once again...

I really hope GGG can do something about this skill gem, it's really a shame that it cannot be utilised in any way.
Wanding is how i went too, above comment shows my thoughts haha.

Very sad day after leveling to test Elemental Hit after 2.0, it still having the same issues.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info