Dominating Blow

Increased (and reduced) is used for additive increases.
More (and less) is used for multiplicative increases.
I think one of the issues with Dominating Blow is that the minions don't run to follow the player like zombies do. Spectral minions don't do this either, but they last permanently so it's not such a big deal.

With dominating blow you only have so many seconds to take advantage of the minion which is doubly frustrating when they amble about slowly instead of running with you from point to point.

edit : Oh, there's the Minion Speed support gem, which probably makes this the one skill that really needs it to be useful :V
Last edited by RoboCicero on Jan 15, 2012, 3:02:08 AM
"
RoboCicero wrote:
I think one of the issues with Dominating Blow is that the minions don't run to follow the player like zombies do. Spectral minions don't do this either, but they last permanently so it's not such a big deal.

With dominating blow you only have so many seconds to take advantage of the minion which is doubly frustrating when they amble about slowly instead of running with you from point to point.

edit : Oh, there's the Minion Speed support gem, which probably makes this the one skill that really needs it to be useful :V

I don't seem to have any trouble getting dominated minions to follow me, though it is usually not quickly at their base speed. They also seem to warp to me when they get too far away without engaging, just like other minions.

On a related note, is it intended that multiple copies of the Dominating Blow skill gem won't allow you to summon more total minions than the one with the highest minion limit?

I was using 3 copies of dominating blow, one at a higher level with two maximum minions, and the other two copies were level 1 with only one max minion. Even while cycling which copy of the skill I used for the killing blow, I could only dominate a maximum of two minions. I know summon zombie is currently buggy and allows this sort of behavior, but I don't really know if this is intended for this skill or not. It'd be one way around a fairly low dominated minion cap, if it worked.

Also, I had one Dominating Blow successfully linked to Multiple Projectiles, Faster Projectiles, and Pierce without any obvious benefits. I think I read something about minion animations not updating to display this properly despite this actually working, though...
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
Also, I had one Dominating Blow successfully linked to Multiple Projectiles, Faster Projectiles, and Pierce without any obvious benefits. I think I read something about minion animations not updating to display this properly despite this actually working, though...

You probably know, but if not, a trick to see if a support gem actually does anything, is check the skill icon bottom right. There will be a letter for each support that has an effect. Unless you're saying there were letters for all 3 but nothing seemed to be happening.
Necropolis: 95
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
On a related note, is it intended that multiple copies of the Dominating Blow skill gem won't allow you to summon more total minions than the one with the highest minion limit?
Yes. There's a bug currently with Raise Zombie that causes multiple gems to break the limit, but Dominating Blow and Raise Spectre are not affected by this bug and have the correct functionality.
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
They work, but because they only apply the stats server-side, you won't see the effect on the client. So when you dominate a monster with a projectile spell/attack, it will fire multiple projectiles, but your client will only display one. If you watch carefully you might see them actually hitting multiple things, though.
It's a shame because Dominating Blow is a really neat skill! I'd love to at least see the mana cost on it go down slightly -- with even just two support gems I had the mana cost on it jump to 52 mana per attack. That's fine if it's a high-damage finisher, but it doesn't deal much damage and the duration it applies is very low -- when I using a two-handed weapon a zombie might kill the target and cause it to die without converting.

It feels like it takes way too much finesse to get Dominating Blow to pay off, is the general problem.
Multiple Projectiles says it give my minions 3 additional projectiles with dominating blow, however they dont recieve them :(
Steam:Gonejah
"
nugstash wrote:
Multiple Projectiles says it give my minions 3 additional projectiles with dominating blow, however they dont recieve them :(
Seriously? Did you not see the dev response 2 posts up before you wrote this? Wow.
"
Lo4f wrote:
"
nugstash wrote:
Seriously? Did you not see the dev response 2 posts up before you wrote this? Wow.

nope saw it in game and rushed here ;p
Steam:Gonejah
First I would like to see the creature follow until death, not simply die after a few seconds. Second the creatures don't bahave properly they often don't strike or strike much slower than they do against players. They also don't follow well. They seem to get 'lost' or 'stuck' on environmental obstructions too often. I like being able to kill a unique monster and having it help dominate but these issues make that difficult and frustrating. If the way to nerf the "until death do us part" suggestion I'm making is to make them immune to healing, I'm ok with that.
Death by lag in HC = the most widely told tale to hide the shame of a miscalculated/overzealous death by game :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info