Cleave

Mmm hit 50 in 15 hours using DW Cleave as my AoE attack, so I might have to retract my "completely terrible" theorycraft impression. We'll see how it does in chaos though.

All the weird sync issues remain but that's not really Cleave's problem, it just screws with Cleave a bit more than other skills.
Well, the skill works decently in Chaos. The DPS seems fine, the area of effect seems fine. Doesn't clear half as fast as my ranger but you can't really compare to a broken AoF build. And my ranger does actually die more.

However, I've noticed something strange, that's backed up by repeated testing: The gem tooltip says "does half damage to other nearby monsters", however this does not seem to be the case. Whenever I cleave two guys next to each other, the guy I'm targeting dies at the same time as the guy I'm not.

This may explain why the gem isn't as terrible as I predicted it would be. If it isn't supposed to work this way, it should, IMO.

EDIT: And just to make sure, to get the approximately correct dps of the skill, double the tooltip dps? (my weapons are extremely similar).
Last edited by aimlessgun on Apr 16, 2012, 3:02:16 AM
"
aimlessgun wrote:
However, I've noticed something strange, that's backed up by repeated testing: The gem tooltip says "does half damage to other nearby monsters", however this does not seem to be the case. Whenever I cleave two guys next to each other, the guy I'm targeting dies at the same time as the guy I'm not.
That was removed a while back. I'll update the description. Thanks for catching that.

"
aimlessgun wrote:
EDIT: And just to make sure, to get the approximately correct dps of the skill, double the tooltip dps? (my weapons are extremely similar).
Assuming you're dual wielding, yes. The DPS display assumes that dual wielding hits alternate which weapon they use - which is correct for skills other than Dual Strike and Cleave, which hit with both at once. It will show the average of a main-hand and an off-hand hit. Even if your weapons are quite different in damage, doubling should still give a quite accurate estimate.
Thanks Mark.

Here's a quick video of elemental (no AoF though) DW Cleave in Chaos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv1dDiIEmRU&feature=youtu.be

Easy mob comp and lvl 70 vs lvl 60 monsters makes it look better, but even so it's pretty awesome I think.
Last edited by aimlessgun on Apr 17, 2012, 10:56:13 PM
"
aimlessgun wrote:
Thanks Mark.

Easy mob comp and lvl 70 vs lvl 60 monsters makes it look better, but even so it's pretty awesome I think.

Can you write up a guide for this build? Looks fun to play!
"
vax wrote:
"
aimlessgun wrote:
Thanks Mark.

Can you write up a guide for this build? Looks fun to play!

I made a thread in beta general :)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/28464
Legacy testing, lvl 73 DW chaos inoc ranger

The buffs to the elemental damage passives were essentially a straight buff to the build, and the weapon nerfs didn't hurt too badly because most of its damage is elemental. So I'm still pushing out 16k DPS non-diamond with Cleave (down from ~22k), ~35k diamond. The 6link is my only really good bit of gear as well. Not sure if this is too high after the damage rebalances.

Chaos is as utterly trivial as before, but well, lvl 73, so it's probably meaningless WRT the new mosnter difficulties.
Last edited by aimlessgun on May 9, 2012, 12:00:27 AM
I'm actually very happy with this skill. It's my primary skill on mobs of 3 and more. I use it on lvl 32 Duelist, while dual-wielding. I use axes and swords (haven't specked in a particular weapon yet). You guys have definitely done a ton to improve it. I remember when beta first started cleave did barely any damage and missed a lot.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
my cleave gem is broken, after the last 10mb patch.
its lvl 8 now with the 21% increased phys dmg, but the 21% does not apply to my dmg. the result is that my lvl8 cleave gem is exactly as strong as a lvl 1 cleave gem....

i started a new char to get a clean lvl1 cleave gem and its seems that i was wrong ^^ but did the calculation change?
Last edited by mononoke on May 14, 2012, 2:06:38 PM
This skill is fantastic on my dual wielders... on single wielders, I try to use sweep, since it has a larger area of effect, knocks back and has higher dmg. However, when I come across a nifty 2-h sword I have to use cleave, so it's a nice back up. Also, it's cast is faster... it seems, so it usually makes up for it.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info