Please reconsider Loot Sharing!

Diablo 3 is a mix of good ideas that advance the genre and a whole heaping of Activision ezmode for retards. Individual loot is a good idea.

This is a competitive game, and grabbing the loot first may be a test of skill, however:

- If on average you do not come out ahead, you will be better off playing solo.

- Not all characters are equal in terms of who is closer to the loot and who can afford to rush into the enemies to grab it. In Diablo 2, ranged characters get nothing even though they are probably the ones getting kills because melee is generally useless unless you already have the best items.

If you want to foster competition between players, why not make it so that whoever gets the kill gets the loot? This might not encourage selfless co-op gameplay, but let's face it, since Dota we know last hitting is a skill.

Or if co-op is more important than competition, just make the drops individual. It's one or the other though.
Median XL 2012 | Diablo 2 mod
Adun Tori Laz.
"
taekvideo wrote:
No, I don't have to deal with it, and I don't want to.
Looting systems like that won't make people deal with it, it'll just force them to play solo.
I was talking specifically about looting while in combat. Individual loot doesn't remove this from the game at all; it just leaves you behind if you wait to loot. You're still going to have to deal with loot during combat regardless of the system used.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
OnmyojiOmn wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Just a question: How many of those who are reluctant to group because of FFA looting have actually experienced bad (not inconvenient) interactions over loot in PoE?

Simply having to stop and think about who gets what in mid-battle is bad enough to ruin group play.

That's a convenience issue, not a bad feelings/greed issue. And who says you have to divvy up spoils in the middle of a fight? Finish with the mobs, then have a break to see what everyone got.

"
KurzedMetal wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Just a question: How many of those who are reluctant to group because of FFA looting have actually experienced bad (not inconvenient) interactions over loot in PoE?

I did every time i got into a party:
1. A ranger who won the "loot race" every time a good item dropped due to his high mov speed and high greediness.
2. A guy who didn't fight efficiently but took every loot possible (he was more attentive to drops than enemy packs).
3. No 3rd party, i'm soloing since then.

Then dun group with the jerks, and tell them why. There are people out there who are plenty cooperative. If you dun wanna go to the effort to find and connect with them, that's on you. But as the player base grows, I still contend that you should be able to find like-minded players, and form a solid base from which to draw groups which share loot. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:

Since you don't know me, let me tell you how I play in parties: I share loot, almost all of it. I take almost no loot at all, in fact. I leave rares others will probably use, and I let them have a lot of orbs that drop. I hardly feel that I'm a selfish, uncompromising person. Don't attribute my unyielding stance on this topic to greed.

But this is not about you, and I have nothing personal against you. I didn't say you were greedy, but I stand by what I said about you being uncompromising and selfish. Read taek's reply as I see it unnecessary to repeat it again.
Also, you might be a very kind and giving person. But most people don't like just playing without picking up good items\orbs, and this will be much amplified when the game goes live and community solidarity will become less prominent due to more people and the community being less of a "family", and also when beta ends and items will be permanent.

"

There is a compromise that we haven't even tried yet, but people are already dismissing it as a bad system, accusing it of favoritism and unbalance. That seems fairly uncompromising to me.

No, that "compromise" is not really a compromise. It doesn't take a genius to understand that that system is still FFA loot as a whole with really minor adjustment. You will still most likely fight for loot. If you are being chased by a group of monsters and an item drops that belongs to you, most likely someone else would snatch it. You are still going to be disrupted in battle just to try and catch an item. It is NOT fun and it causes tension and frustration between players.
It's only a second before it turns FFA. While fighting a second is nothing.

My personal opinion is that it might piss people off even more - imagine some really rare orb drops and belongs to someone, that is fighting monsters. A second passes and it's FFA and someone else take it. Imagine איק rage and frustration it would cause because with the new system it DID actually "belong" to someone. No thanks!

Look taek's reply. A real compromise would offer several systems like other MMO's had advanced into without forcing an annoyance on most players, that drives a complete solo play.
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
I was talking specifically about looting while in combat. Individual loot doesn't remove this from the game at all; it just leaves you behind if you wait to loot. You're still going to have to deal with loot during combat regardless of the system used.

Not really. If you do individual loot you can leave the loot turned off and just flash it for a second after combat to see if anything good dropped. Most of the time nothing worthwhile drops so it won't really slow you down very often (and only a second or 2 more the few times something good drops). Plus you won't be the only one not looting in combat if you're using individual loot rather than FFA.
Just look at it this way, you can take 3 seconds for everyone to loot after a pack, or you can make the combat take 3 seconds longer due to people looting during combat... you don't save any time by looting during combat.

IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
"
Blizzard wrote:
But this is not about you, and I have nothing personal against you. I didn't say you were greedy, but I stand by what I said about you being uncompromising and selfish.
I didn't say it was about me, but you directed it at me by assuming I'm being selfish and saying so.

"
Blizzard wrote:
No, that "compromise" is not really a compromise. It doesn't take a genius to understand that that system is still FFA loot as a whole with really minor adjustment.
I say the same thing about optional individual loot: it's not really a compromise. I've already explained why.

"
Blizzard wrote:
A real compromise would offer several systems like other MMO's had advanced into without forcing an annoyance on most players, that drives a complete solo play.
A real compromise tries to find a balance. That's what GGG is trying to do. Simply creating another system to choose from isn't much of a compromise, it's more of a cop-out. Giving everyone what they want isn't compromising; that requires someone to get less then they want. But that's just semantics. I'm confident that GGG will develop a system that works. It may not be exactly what every single player wants, but nothing in gaming ever is.

I have my opinions and preferences just as you do. You won't convince me to change mine, and vice versa. Still, I feel that it is my part as a tester to voice my view, even if it is the small minority. Without hearing the minority's voices, GGG is getting skewed feedback. I post to help them, not to argue with other testers.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Dec 5, 2011, 3:18:42 PM
i really dont understand why GGG is making a sobigdeal bout that and doesn't simply offer the choice like all ther decent games

This system is just kiling the group play

with my lv44 with i did one party and regreted that

Before 93 i did several with friends ,we shared and it was just huge fun even tho it was annoying to remember "who's turn is it oO"
Current exiles under command :

Snoop Lv 73 cold witch Normal
Razagaal Lv 63 Fire summoner witch legacy
Daggoth Lv 50 AoF summoner Templar legacy
"
KurzedMetal wrote:
I did every time i got into a party:
1. A ranger who won the "loot race" every time a good item dropped due to his high mov speed and high greediness.
2. A guy who didn't fight efficiently but took every loot possible (he was more attentive to drops than enemy packs).
3. No 3rd party, i'm soloing since then.

KurzedMetal, was this in Hardcore or Default league?
I have now partied at least three times with complete strangers in HC and had no trouble with the FFA aspect. I've done this primarily as a Ranger I believe, with a mix of different classes.
Last edited by DraconicBlessing on Dec 5, 2011, 9:52:54 PM
I actually grouped and fought with a person for the first time today. It went well, he wasn't a complete item hog. I gave him something I found and he gave me something he found because we both knew the items would benefit the other person more.

Thing is, we can't all be so lucky. Somebody suggested "Just leave and don't play with jerks." BUT... Who wants to go through starting and restarting instances and groups just to find out within a minute or two they are ninja looters with no shame? And again and again and again. The worst are the ones who seem generous at first, until a rare or unique drops that would be perfect for you, and they scoop it up and refuse to give it to you or even trade with you for it.

Group with your friends? Yeah if you have some that play this, and are on at the same time as you, and are near you in level.

People can argue this forever, but the end result of the current system, and even with the minor tweak proposed of a 1 second delay, will be that most people will choose to solo. We've seen it before in other games, and apparently the lesson has not been learned.

Moral of the story is - people play video games to have fun and feel good. FFA makes people feel bad and ruins the fun for too many people.

If we're stuck with FFA when the game launches, what will the solution be? A ninja-looter blacklist?

Off topic a bit, anybody remember that classic WoW thread "You rolled on a DEATHSTRIKER?!?" Rogue had the highest roll, then druid decides to roll too and gets it. Shameless greed, in all it's wasteful ugliness.
"When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
I'm sorry but until they at lest add another option for loot
or maybe another league I'm not playing with other people..

I can't even play with my friend because he is also a ranger and we will both want the same loot.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info