Please reconsider Loot Sharing!

The only way I was ever able to play D2 online was with a close-knit gaming community that has rules about loot. During the game, you simply grab any potentially good loot you notice and keep going. All of the loot is dropped in the middle of town, and at the end of the game it's sorted through and distributed in a mature, friendly manner. We've been doing this for ten years and it's worked really well.

Obviously that doesn't really apply to PoE. The point is that even in a community like the Amazon Basin, arguably the classiest thing in gaming, FFA loot has never worked.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
"
Wittgenstein wrote:
When the game is launched a loot trade window will be introduced, that will no longer force you to drop items on the ground. I would assume (given the way these windows work in other games) that both parties will have to agree to the trade prior to it's completion. Therefore, you won't need to worry about being cheated.

If you had bothered reading the whole paragraph instead of jumping the gun and trying to contradict me, you would see I wrote I know there would be a trading mechanism of some sort, and that my point is that right now the community is smaller and much more "trusting" than it would be when the game is launched, which would make the trust issue in random looting much worse - it would be much harder to count on other random people to not steal your loot.
"
dust7 wrote:
Don't be silly about the bandit quests. Every party just ungroups for a short amount of time if they want different rewards.
It's not silly. If GGG wanted us to just disband our parties to skip that feature, they wouldn't have put it there in the first place. It's obvious that they want to have features that create competition between players. That's the direction of their game, much like FFA loot is. Us finding ways around it or demanding that these features be changed is going against what they envision their game to be.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
"
dust7 wrote:
Don't be silly about the bandit quests. Every party just ungroups for a short amount of time if they want different rewards.
It's not silly. If GGG wanted us to just disband our parties to skip that feature, they wouldn't have put it there in the first place. It's obvious that they want to have features that create competition between players. That's the direction of their game, much like FFA loot is. Us finding ways around it or demanding that these features be changed is going against what they envision their game to be.

I hardly think that GGG has a "my way or the highway" attitude that you seem to attribute to them.
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
"
dust7 wrote:

And who are you to decide what is their envision?

Maybe if they wanted to force that so-called competition maybe they wouldn't have let us to ungroup? Have you thought of that? Maybe they just wanted it as an option there?

Also, you keep forgetting this game is in BETA stages. We are beta testers who's job is too post FEEDBACK about the beta game. If there are unfun, problematic "features" such as loot sharing that most people feel make the game unfun, frustrating and stressing and leads to unwanted consequences (alienating people completely) then there is nothing wrong in changing that aspect.
As it stands now, my luck with drops is nonexistent. I have characters in their 60's 40's a bunch in 30, none of them very well equipped. What little good gear I have has been donated or traded. I DO NOT have a problem with this.

Spending dozens (lets be honest - hundreds) of hours farming only to have an item you've been looking for scooped up by someone else, is something I have a problem with. My novel approach to joining a group now is to turn off loot display - ignorance is bliss.

However, I believe FFA loot will become much less of a problem when NPC shops are available, and finding that perfect weapon will be much less important when building one becomes more feasible.

Exaggerating a topic like this is really nothing short of boredom, and its not cool. Looting to be stay in old skool way is the best possible way for me too, solutions are already told to you, but if you continue ignoring the incoming suggestions, there left nothing to help you out with this anymore. Even though it takes at least +50 pages than already it is, nothing would satisfy you.

Slagging that much is not welcome even if it be a wrong stuation for you. Trying to see things in a positive way will not being you nightmares that could wake you with sweats.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
Last edited by BrecMadak on Dec 4, 2011, 5:45:11 PM
"
taekvideo wrote:
I hardly think that GGG has a "my way or the highway" attitude that you seem to attribute to them.
You're putting words into my mouth based on your incorrect deductions. I understand that they take feedback seriously and alter the game based on it.

"
Blizzard wrote:
And who are you to decide what is their envision?
I don't decide; I determine based on GGG's statements and actions.

"
Blizzard wrote:
Maybe if they wanted to force that so-called competition maybe they wouldn't have let us to ungroup? Have you thought of that? Maybe they just wanted it as an option there?
It's already forced upon the party. There is simply a way to avoid having to deal with it.

"
Blizzard wrote:
Also, you keep forgetting this game is in BETA stages. We are beta testers who's job is too post FEEDBACK about the beta game. If there are unfun, problematic "features" such as loot sharing that most people feel make the game unfun, frustrating and stressing and leads to unwanted consequences (alienating people completely) then there is nothing wrong in changing that aspect.
I assure you that I'm fully aware of the game's beta status. You may be forgetting that I'm also an alpha tester, so someone at GGG must have approved of my testing and feedback at some point. If they feel that I'm being a nuisance or not contributing to the testing process, I'll comply with orders to shut the hell up.

What's wrong with my feedback? Why is the opposing side's feedback more important or better than mine? I'm stating my view on the subject, which just happens to also be GGG's currently-stated view. Yes, I use that similarity of opinions as a debate point, because it is valid to the topic. Debating a topic doesn't mean I think your feedback is useless. I feel that it is my position as a tester to be able to debate and argue topics. Should the opposition just shut up and not voice their opinions when they are polar opposites?
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
zadawn wrote:
Absolutely for total loot sharing!It is exciting and fun,if you don't want to risk do not go out with people you don't trust.I personally love it and if someone picks my loot then that's it,not going to cry over it,i may do the same some other time.

The problem here is exactly what the OP mentioned: Most players DON'T trust others they play with in todays' online games (unless they're RL friends etc), and so the social aspect of the online game is limited, or in this case where it's perma-free-for-all loot in groups, it's NONEXISTENT. You can't just say "oh well deal with it zomg it's FUN to compete!" because normally that's language used by people who have no intention of sharing anything whatsoever, and if he/she could hog every valuable piece of gear/gems that drop in an instance, they will, and to hell with everyone else.

I specifically don't play with others in PoE becasue of this very thing. I've experienced this type of hellish greed from EQ1 > AO > WoW > (insert your favorite MMO here). The wording changes in each game, but the premise is exactly the same: Greed before Need / ZOMGIKANZHAZLEWTZ / etc.

YOU might think of this as "fun", maybe because you probably nab the lions' share of the loot in most cases, and you just could give a rats ass about anyone else, and that's fine. But for those of us who play ranged / caster, and aren't right there on top of mobs when stuff drops, we get the shaft, and that to most players obviously would be "no fun".
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:

What's wrong with my feedback? Why is the opposing side's feedback more important or better than mine? I'm stating my view on the subject, which just happens to also be GGG's currently-stated view. Yes, I use that similarity of opinions as a debate point, because it is valid to the topic. Debating a topic doesn't mean I think your feedback is useless. I feel that it is my position as a tester to be able to debate and argue topics. Should the opposition just shut up and not voice their opinions when they are polar opposites?

Your feedback is not wrong per-se, but you make up illogical and contradicting arguments that were easily countered throughout the thread. Your feedback is selfish and uncompromising.

We're trying to explain GGG that the goal they're trying to meet with FFA looting is far from being achieved, and instead there are some major drawbacks to such system which simply hurt the game by a whole lot.

Most people don't want to fight other people over loot. It's a frustrating aspect in the game, that causes tension between players and drives people to not play with random people. Even the suggested system with GGG is exhausting and is totally a turn off, still making it centered around melee\tanky characters and making sure no1 is stealing some good orb\item.
Last edited by Blizzard on Dec 4, 2011, 8:41:05 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info