So instead of a troll-mantle now we have a troll-mjonier

"
FNX_Heroes wrote:
I finally managed to trade my Tröllner for 1 Ex... Not so bad in the end.
But still a bad experience and a big deception after I first saw this golden Gavel on the ground.

That's impressive. I like mine but wouldn't pay over 2 chaos for it. But I don't pay over 2 chaos for any piece of gear.
There comes a time thief when jewels cease to sparkle, gold loses it's luster, throne room becomes a prison, and all that's left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric
On day 2 an unique gavel dropped for me in a 69map. I obviously thought about the trollnir. Was kinda exiting seeing the real mjolner when i put my mouse over it. :)
"
innervation wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
The problem is intention, not implementation. There's a world of difference between getting into a car accident and purposefully crashing into someone even when the end result is the exact same thing.

Uniques are an opportunity to add something that is for everyone's benefit. The intention behind this unique is laughs at the expense of others. It's a bit disappointing that GGG saw no problem with that.

The problem, for you guys, is knowledge of its intention. If no one in the world but the criminal driver knew he was acting criminally, then there would be no difference whatsoever on reality, or your perceptions of the event.

So now that you know his intentions, you're calling on GGG like 8 year olds call their parents. "MOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM HE HIT MEEEEEEEEEEE". Except this guy isn't even doing anything as benign as punching you in the arm. He created an item that has multiple design goals. You guys are throwing out all the other objectively fine mechanical designs of the item, and throwing out 80% of his artistic goals of the design (the cold damage, the rarity, the eagle, the Mall in the name) and getting super butthurt about the one part of the item that, ironically, you have control over your expectations.

Also 'uniques are an opportunity to add something that is for everyone's benefit' says who? If they release a unique that is best in slot for righteous fire builds, how many people does that benefit? It's a wasted unique for 97% of players (or more).

The reason GGG doesn't have a problem with it - as I've been saying this entire thread - is because they know that down the pipeline, multiple uniques will be attached to the same base item.

And since intentions are irrelevant to reality once that is true (with, apparently, the exception of the .005% of players who will read this thread and take umbrage), there was no reason to say 'no' to this item.

I find it curious that you instantly colored me as "you guys".

I've been playing long enough to know all too well about how uniques actually drop, and that adding Cameria's Maul did nothing to affect the odds of getting a Mjolner*.

I don't count myself among the "troll-X" crowd. The way the community reacted to NuclearRaven's unique was deplorable, especially when it wasn't NR's fault. If anything, Cameria's Maul is a little bit of just desserts. That being said, I'm aware that this large portion of the community (certainly more than 0.005%, starting with the OP of this thread) does see the unique as a bad joke.

Uniques are an opportunity for global good, insofar as all content in the game is an opportunity for global good. At the very least, no part of it should be negative. Adding an RF unique is great for RF people and at worst not harmful to everyone else. It could even have cool lore and 2d/3d art to make it interesting as an item even if it's not being used in a build.

And since it's not a problem at all, why not move it to a different base in the first place?
Why not try to get a unique for every base before getting started on duplicates?
Why not make the unique of equal power and rarity as Mjolner?
Why even poke the hornet's nest, or assist RJM in poking the hornet's nest?
There are options that would have pissed off at most 1 person (RJM himself) and none others.

It's senseless provocation that I see no reason to applaud or defend.

Technically, adding multiple uniques to the same base greatly hurts the odds of getting that unique if the user is applying `Chance + Scour` in a loop.

It doesn't matter too much with a Gavel since the base is easy to find and a 3L is trivial, but it's a pretty gnarly problem when people try to 6L a white base and then chance into the unique they want.

It's a problem that I don't think GGG has ever addressed or even accepted exists, which bodes poorly for future powerful unique armors/2h weapons.
"
I don't say this lightly: some people need to really rethink how they spend their money.

Chris told me when I was fighting for Infernal Mantle to be moved to another base that there were players asking to have duplicate uniques. I wish I could say I was surprised, but it takes all sorts.

I'm more amazed they allowed that item name.

EDIT: Guildie just found one -- the name is a little less painful but knowing the backstory doesn't help.

I will trash this item if I ever find it on principle. Someone wants to waste their money, I'm happy to indulge.

And that's coming from someone who defends custom designs almost constantly.

One core principle to custom design from the start has been in disallowing items that give negative player experience. I've seen much cleverer "troll" items get turned down, so I guess GGG gave up trying to enforce that one.

Not GGG's finest hour.

I'm pretty happy with it personally, including everyone's reactions love and hate. It's a fairly good item for late merciless (I'm using it myself) and most people are having fun with it.

The best trolls aren't clever, they're dumb and in your face, like a troll.
CharanJaydemyr:some people need to really rethink how they spend their money....I will trash this item if I ever find it on principle...I've seen much cleverer "troll" items get turned down, so I guess GGG gave up trying to enforce that one. Not GGG's finest hour.
poeurl.com/bD4E
Last edited by RichMoney on Jul 21, 2015, 9:48:41 PM
"

Troll and clever are not mutually exclusive terms, but that you think they are is all I need to know.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy streaming schedule to reply.

I didn't say they were mutually exclusive. There are plenty of clever trolls, I just happen to think that the best are the ones that get a glorious overreaction from being simple, like my Gavel.
CharanJaydemyr:some people need to really rethink how they spend their money....I will trash this item if I ever find it on principle...I've seen much cleverer "troll" items get turned down, so I guess GGG gave up trying to enforce that one. Not GGG's finest hour.
poeurl.com/bD4E
You anger me -.-
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
RichMoney wrote:
"

Troll and clever are not mutually exclusive terms, but that you think they are is all I need to know.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy streaming schedule to reply.

I didn't say they were mutually exclusive. There are plenty of clever trolls, I just happen to think that the best are the ones that get a glorious overreaction from being simple, like my Gavel.

I think your item is totally fine and I cannot understand much of the fuss around it

it doesnt pk people or anything like that...so I dont even know what the big deal is. sure the intention was to troll people...so what ? lol. if we start getting offended every time a unique item drop (or chance) is not what we wanted/expected...then we'd be always offended.

funny item and I can see it being useful too for some MF-specific builds
What's worse, the Maul, or
? :D
"
What's worse, the Maul, or
? :D

can you use the maul for chisel recipe ? if so then maul easily
"
SunnyRay wrote:
Unidentified to someone not aware of its existence? o_O

Wouldn't blame you, someone trying to buy Mjolnir for 1 ex deserves that :)
Lol no, it was perfectly identified and on poe.trade. But it was a good roll. This hammer may still have some use for Ice Crash I think.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info