(3.2) [Lighty] 2H RT Cyclone: Dope for Beast League & Lab™

"
MalakAlhaq wrote:
Hey lighty. First of all thanks for this great work.I really like it.
I'm thinking on going cyclone rt in softcore next league but I can't decide yet.What do you think should I do? I play solo and with 1-2 friends. Last league we managed t15 maps. I can't decide if I should play your build or this one:https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1510181/page/1
I think your build would be faster and more fluent but the rf totem isn't in the middle of danger, so it would be safer. What do you think about my choices?

Lighty is obviously biased (and so am I as a matter of fact), but I'd say it ultimately comes down to what you want to do. Do you want to run around in the thick of enemies, farm end game quickly, or just burn through the game as easily as possible.

Totem builds are going to generally be safer, so you'll have an easier time of things, but I find them to be quite boring. Burst damage in PoE means playing Melee requires you to know what mobs do before you leap into them, less you die instantly, so it's more dangerous, but I find it a lot more thrilling because of it.

Ultimately the only one who can answer the question is you. Both of the builds are cheap and easy to play, I'll say the Totem build is probably easier overall, but you have to be ok with the idea of your totems doing all the work for you.
"
I've noticed that you changed the skill tree slightly for Ascendancy, in the Bloody Bludgeon cluster, you changed which nodes you take. Why?

Although the right side of the baby mace wheel wasn't nerfed I feel its in-optimal overall and would rather toss the point in a 5% life node for example. If the nodes were 2.5% life or x% armour instead of leech rate id feel differently. I think cyclones dps is fine at the moment and should be gearing towards a more defensive tree come 2.2.
LightyGaming.com
"
Archimtiros wrote:
"
MalakAlhaq wrote:
I'm thinking on going cyclone rt in softcore next league but I can't decide yet.What do you think should I do? I play solo and with 1-2 friends. Last league we managed t15 maps. I can't decide if I should play your build or this one:https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1510181/page/1
I think your build would be faster and more fluent but the rf totem isn't in the middle of danger, so it would be safer. What do you think about my choices?

Lighty is obviously biased (and so am I as a matter of fact), but I'd say it ultimately comes down to what you want to do. Do you want to run around in the thick of enemies, farm end game quickly, or just burn through the game as easily as possible.

Totem builds are going to generally be safer, so you'll have an easier time of things, but I find them to be quite boring. Burst damage in PoE means playing Melee requires you to know what mobs do before you leap into them, less you die instantly, so it's more dangerous, but I find it a lot more thrilling because of it.

Ultimately the only one who can answer the question is you. Both of the builds are cheap and easy to play, I'll say the Totem build is probably easier overall, but you have to be ok with the idea of your totems doing all the work for you.

Good explanation. Melee in general will be more difficult to play, especially in a new league. Totems scale well from levels and offer a defensive playstyle with great mobility, essentially making it more new user friendly. Some find it boring but having played a totem build to lv95 in Talisman HC I can tell you you end up having large amounts of utility spells and become more busy than most: IE- Warcry,Curse,movementskill,vaal skills.
LightyGaming.com

The 2.2 Patch Notes have been posted and below I will highlight everything/anything that effects 2H RT Cyclone, there isn't much..

• Taste of Hate now only makes you take 20% of physical damage as cold damage. It now adds 20-30% of physical as cold, rather than always 30%
  • Blood Rage now casts more quickly (250ms, rather than 1000ms). A one-second cooldown has been added to prevent accidental re-casting
  • Molten Shell and Vaal Molten Shell now have cast times of 500ms
  • Quicksilver Flasks now last for 4 seconds (down from 5 seconds)

Overall minimal impact and mostly only the nerf to Taste Of Hate will be noticed; 7.5% less temporary physical mitigation could be the difference between life and death in some scenarios however.

LightyGaming.com
Last edited by Lighty on Mar 2, 2016, 9:44:55 PM
"
Lighty wrote:
"
Archimtiros wrote:
"
MalakAlhaq wrote:

Good explanation. Melee in general will be more difficult to play, especially in a new league. Totems scale well from levels and offer a defensive playstyle with great mobility, essentially making it more new user friendly. Some find it boring but having played a totem build to lv95 in Talisman HC I can tell you you end up having large amounts of utility spells and become more busy than most: IE- Warcry,Curse,movementskill,vaal skills.

That's fair, and I should have included it.

If anything, playing something like Cyclone is more boring from an interaction standpoint: You are really just holding down [button] until things die but the mental interaction, in my opinion, is higher, because you're much more concerned with what you're walking into.

Totems on the other hand, require constant placement, you've got utility skills, and you're generally avoiding enemies rather than moving into them; which I maintain is easier, but it certainly aren't sitting on your thumbs either.

Still, as I said before, it's all about what you look for in the game. I've always been a melee player because I like being in the thick of things, and playing from range just isn't as much fun for me.
Last edited by Archimtiros on Mar 2, 2016, 10:13:31 PM
"
Lighty wrote:

The 2.2 Patch Notes have been posted and below I will highlight everything/anything that effects 2H RT Cyclone, there isn't much..

• Taste of Hate now only makes you take 20% of physical damage as cold damage. It now adds 20-30% of physical as cold, rather than always 30%
  • Blood Rage now casts more quickly (250ms, rather than 1000ms). A one-second cooldown has been added to prevent accidental re-casting

Overall minimal impact and mostly only the nerf to Taste Of Hate will be noticed; 7.5% less temporary physical mitigation could be the difference between life and death in some scenarios however.

I am a bit disappointed that there really ins't anything interesting for us in these coming changes. Really seems to be favoring traps and totems, but the Ascendancy classes and Mods should keep things fresh regardless.

I'm iffy on the Taste of Hate change, as melee survivability is already questionable (unless you're running near-invincible block builds); but we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

What does have me interested is in possibly working in some of the new gems, like Ancestral Protector for single target/bosses. If not running a Vaal gem or Kaoms, we can have enough sockets open that it's possible, and I'm interested to see how useful it could be.
Last edited by Archimtiros on Mar 2, 2016, 10:14:31 PM
"
Archimtiros wrote:
"
Lighty wrote:

I am a bit disappointed that there really ins't anything interesting for us in these coming changes. Really seems to be favoring traps and totems, but the Ascendancy classes and Mods should keep things fresh regardless.

I'm iffy on the Taste of Hate change, as melee survivability is already questionable (unless you're running near-invincible block builds); but we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

What does have me interested is in possibly working in some of the new gems, like Ancestral Protector for single target/bosses. If not running a Vaal gem or Kaoms, we can have enough sockets open that it's possible, and I'm interested to see how useful it could be.

I'm going to hold judgment as to how impactful 2.2 is for us until I see every new unique added. Hopefully at least a few will offer something useful for cyclone.
LightyGaming.com
"
Lighty wrote:

I'm going to hold judgment as to how impactful 2.2 is for us until I see every new unique added. Hopefully at least a few will offer something useful for cyclone.

Here is a list of all the new uniques, though a few tooltips are missing: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ascendancy

There was a more complete listing elsewhere, but can't remember where it was now. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the potential helmet enchantments, given the boast "two or three of these skill-specific stats for every player skill", there could be a hidden gem somewhere in the mix, though the RNG of getting said enchantment could be mind-numbing.
Last edited by Archimtiros on Mar 2, 2016, 11:45:54 PM
"
Archimtiros wrote:
"
Lighty wrote:

Here is a list of all the new uniques, though a few tooltips are missing: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ascendancy

There was a more complete listing elsewhere, but can't remember where it was now. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the potential helmet enchantments, given the boast "two or three of these skill-specific stats for every player skill", there could be a hidden gem somewhere in the mix, though the RNG of getting said enchantment could be mind-numbing.

Ive kept the enchantment section of the guide updated so far and the increased IC duration and reduced AA reservation look decent.
LightyGaming.com
"
Lighty wrote:
"
Archimtiros wrote:
"
Lighty wrote:

Ive kept the enchantment section of the guide updated so far and the increased IC duration and reduced AA reservation look decent.

They do look decent, I just mean we haven't seen them all, so it's possible there are some other interesting options waiting to be found.

Though if there really are ~300 options, and no handicaps in place help the player roll the ones they want, the devs really aren't kidding about "living in the labyrinth"!

Any thoughts as to what you want to fill those free gem slots with, if we end up with AA?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info