[outdated] Caustic Arrow Solo Map MFer (20/300+)

"
Lunet wrote:
I'm wondering if a drillneck with adds an additional arrow would be any good for this?

It is a very good option for the build. Greater AoE is greater clear speed, which leads to more items.
hank, thank you so so much for the detailed explanation!

if you wouldn't mind, could you also please comment on the bow question i had regarding what gems should I run in a 6 link before i can obtain empower 3?

i was thinking: caustic arrow - rapid decay - void manipulation - concentrated effect - inc AoE - IIR ?

thank you again for such a quick and thorough response!
"

if you wouldn't mind, could you also please comment on the bow question i had regarding what gems should I run in a 6 link before i can obtain empower 3?

i was thinking: caustic arrow - rapid decay - void manipulation - concentrated effect - inc AoE - IIR ?

That would certainly work, but you'd need GGGBBB - somewhat hard to roll these colors.

For the Voll runs, you'll be running past mobs for the most part then killing Voll. For this, AOE isn't a big concern.

I'd go with: CA - Conc - VM - RD - Pierce - IIR (GGGGBB - a bit easier to color, more DPS for faster kills, sacrificing AOE which isn't a big deal if you're just killing Voll).
"

Also, dump that Rustic Sash belt for one with life asap. The Rustic's +physical damage does nothing for the caustic arrow cloud, so you might as well start with a belt that has a useful base. If you're online and see me active, feel free to shoot me a message, I'm pretty sure I've got a spare belt hanging about that I can donate.
Current league IGN: Teldra_Anc_LAD
Feel free to message me in game if I'm on.
Recently this item came to my attention:

It's situationally useful for magic find.

Currently, I'm working on the 300 maps from map bosses challenge. To make things go as quickly as possible, I've been running linear or open outdoor area, low-level maps, skipping past mobs except to fill flask charges and then killing the boss. I typically trans/aug Tier 1 - Tier 4 maps to do this.

For these runs, The Ascetic works out nicely. I'm wearing these in conjunction with the amulet:

The amulet gives me a tad more IIR than I would normally have on another amulet + helm + belt and allows me to squeeze a bit more IIQ into the mix.

========
Edit 1:
For normal MF in higher level maps, The Ascetic might not work out as well since mobs hit harder - in which case you'd want more health - and you're often challenged with resistance-lowering encounters where you generally want to be over-capped on resistances.

=========
Edit 2:
I'm now equipping these with the amulet:

I've got

IIR: 378
IIQ: 51

DPS took a hit without drillneck of course, but for the content I'm now running (< Tier 5) it's not a big deal.

I could try to work a Divination Distillate into the mix as well... but I probably won't bother. Too much trouble getting the flask to go off and remain active during kills IMO.

Last edited by hankinsohl on Jun 30, 2016, 10:36:00 PM
Ah, they renamed it, but I discussed it here in depth, however did not account for any additional sources of IIQ outside of Goldwyrm and the Ascetic.

I mean basically you can read it and you'll see what I mean about what gear I talked about adjusting, in terms of minimizing the sacrificing the balance intention of the build.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Last edited by Serleth on Jun 30, 2016, 11:58:21 PM
"
Serleth wrote:
Ah, they renamed it, but I discussed it here in depth, however did not account for any additional sources of IIQ outside of Goldwyrm and the Ascetic.

Nice write-up. And I agree that for normal magic find Ascetic probably isn't worth it.

The low-level content (LLC) farming scenario (e.g., killing Voll over and over or farming 300 maps from map bosses) discussed below is outside the scope of your analysis which assumes normal magic find and an unwillingness to swap out clear-speed gear such as Carcass Jack (in the LLC approach outlined below, Drillneck is swapped out).

LLC farming assumes that you simply run past mobs as quickly as possible to kill the boss. You kill mobs along the way just to refresh quicksilver flask charges. In this scenario, AOE and high DPS aren't nearly as important as they are for normal magic find. AOE loses value because you're just trying to kill the end boss and high DPS loses value because the boss is low level and because the bulk of your time is spent running past mobs.

For LLC farming, I swapped out amulet + belt + quiver for Ascetic. As an alternative to Ascetic, you'd equip a rare MF amulet, Perandus Blazon (assuming you're willing to equip this given the easy content) and Drillneck.

So, for LLC farming we have 2 approaches (IIR/IIQ referenced below assumes perfect gear):

Approach 1 - Equip Ascetic, normal belt and magic quiver: 120 IIR and 15 IIQ
(or you could equip Ascetic, normal belt and magic chest)

Approach 2 - Equip rare amulet, Perandus Blazon and Drillneck: 74 IIR and 8 IIQ

Net: 46 IIR and 7 IIQ gain with Ascetic

IMO Ascetic is a niche MF item, useful for LLC farming assuming that the rest of your gear is good enough to take the DPS/life/resists hit entailed if equipping the amulet.
-------
This is the gear I'm using for LLC farming. I have enough life and resists (resists are not quite capped) for this content. If others are considering the approach outlined above I recommend doing so only if your gear is about as good as that shown below. Be sure to factor in jewels - which I use to significantly boost life and resists.
Spoiler

Last edited by hankinsohl on Jul 1, 2016, 2:20:33 AM
Off topic discussion about 2nd builds
Spoiler

Well, my triple-ranged attack totem character is on hold for now. I'm trying to scale a pure physical DPS Chin-Sol build and it just doesn't look like it has a ton of upside potential beyond where I'm currently at. Maybe 100K total DPS in the end.

I think the triple-ranged attack totem setup could have a lot more DPS. Maybe I'll look into a crit build of some sort.
--------
Meanwhile, while browsing the Internet for build ideas I came across this. It's just insane. Dual Ancestral Warchief, crit using Hegemony's Era. He's doing over 900K DSP per totem when fully buffed.

I can't help myself, LOL. I've just got to try his build!

To make it a bit more insane I'm goind to throw in:

Bleed plus poison on hit! The bleed will be very nasty... there's some knockback on his build tree.

At any rate, I'm now trying to 6-link my Hegemony's :-) Fun times.
Oh, woe is me! LOL
Spoiler

Last edited by hankinsohl on Jul 2, 2016, 3:42:27 AM
That's painful.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info