[outdated] Caustic Arrow Solo Map MFer (20/300+)

"
Hvakhshathra wrote:
Couple of questions;
- Is 18/233 is considered "reasonable" for MF'ing? I have no IIR gem (a +3 5L bow) and the reason for the 18 is that I got a %6 dodge spells early in the game and I really hate lab runs. So should I continue as is or try to aim for higher? Still almost broke and barely capped on resistances.
- Did they nerf map drops (and drops in general)? I'm having difficulty finding high tier maps comparing to previous leagues.

* Yes, that value is considered reasonable. If you're lacking in currency, it's likely due to either a) time invested or b) your spending habits which I'm inclined to believe based on your second question is due to c) heavily investing in rolling maps (which is unnecessary for currency farming). That's flat out an assumption, though.

* No, they did not nerf map drops, or drops in general. I started out the league dropping a Shavs, Mjolner, Abyssus, two Rat's Nests, and ~12 Mortal Hopes. Lady Luck just isn't shining on you right now.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
"
Hvakhshathra wrote:
Couple of questions;
- Is 18/233 is considered "reasonable" for MF'ing? I have no IIR gem (a +3 5L bow) and the reason for the 18 is that I got a %6 dodge spells early in the game and I really hate lab runs. So should I continue as is or try to aim for higher? Still almost broke and barely capped on resistances.
- Did they nerf map drops (and drops in general)? I'm having difficulty finding high tier maps comparing to previous leagues.

Note: As Hank pointed out, Carcass + Goldwyrm have the edge over Greed's. And there is also the Mana regen you have to consider which DOES affects the clear speed. So you'll have another restriction on your amulet choices.
Personally, I'd buy a perfect Goldwyrm to boost that IIQ. The extra couple points of IIQ makes a big difference... especially on map drops, which seem to be a challenge for your setup. I'm not having any problems maintaining a map pool - or even pushing up into the higher tier maps, and my rating is 20/224.

However, my playstyle includes manually dodging most spells anyway, so, as always, your mileage may vary.
Current league IGN: Teldra_Anc_LAD
Feel free to message me in game if I'm on.
Thanks as always Serleth for your kind support.
I'm still under-leveled so I need the high tier map/ pack size to speed-up the leveling. I tried out the rotation but doing so on my toaster, I'd be generous if I say I had a frame per second. I was running around like a headless chicken trying to keep up. It led me to get killed and and lost more exp than I gained. Long story short I need to do it all solo, which leads to the next question:
Especially while leveling, do you recommend Alch/chaos (higher cost and/or less control of the mods) or Alt for a good pack-size (less drops)?

@grimjack68 Thank you for your kind input. I'll try to bump the IIQ as soon as I can.
"
Hvakhshathra wrote:
Thanks as always Serleth for your kind support.
I'm still under-leveled so I need the high tier map/ pack size to speed-up the leveling. I tried out the rotation but doing so on my toaster, I'd be generous if I say I had a frame per second. I was running around like a headless chicken trying to keep up. It led me to get killed and and lost more exp than I gained. Long story short I need to do it all solo, which leads to the next question:
Especially while leveling, do you recommend Alch/chaos (higher cost and/or less control of the mods) or Alt for a good pack-size (less drops)?

@grimjack68 Thank you for your kind input. I'll try to bump the IIQ as soon as I can.

Honestly, Gorge/Plateau is all you need to level reasonably quickly. With the changes to the experience penalty in higher maps in 2.3, you get the same xp out of running linear maps fast than higher, more labyrinthine maps, slower.

That said, I don't know what level you are currently or what your map pool is like, but you can buy Gorge maps for 4c each if levelling is your concern.

From there, alc and go. With this build, you don't need to reroll maps, unless you land on Blood Magic, and even then you can still do those.

Wouldn't worry too much about chaosing for specific rolls.

You'll be able to replace your alc pool relatively quickly with vendoring, particularly uniques, so you can play attrition with your map progression and just alc literally everything T8 and higher and run it as is. Save the super dangerous maps for shortly after you level so that you can run them for more maps and not worry much about dying.
Last edited by Serleth on Jul 3, 2016, 3:56:40 PM
Oh, just noticed.

Grimjack, you're wrong about this:

"
The extra couple points of IIQ makes a big difference... especially on map drops

IIQ on gear has no effect on map drops. Only the IIQ on the map roll itself + any Zana mod you might run.

The reason for this is that IIQ's impact is only on items and currency. Maps are neither, they are their own base type.

Last edited by Serleth on Jul 3, 2016, 11:04:59 PM
Hey guys, congrats to all the good progress and stuff, I'm going to get a small break now :)
some lines for those that are interested below.

Spoiler

for the Prophecy league I wanted to do something different than CA - MF, and when the challenges came out it was clear I wouldn't run another MFer. After some PMs and research I found a cool build to bank on the uber lab. At this time I didn't know about the rewards, but I knew many builds would struggle early league.

Choice was crit bladefall trapper with poison spread. The newly introduced Coated Shrapnel saved a gem slot, effectively a 7Link now. Shadow/Assassin with capped crit and 400 mult, blasphemie'd Tempchains and Enfeeble for defense, 5k life and bino / whirling blades.

Gear

Tree Lvl 92

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBAQQHBbUHHgeZCNQI9A5ID8QQkhEvEZYWvxhqG-AgbiL0I_Yk_SaVKgsrCjBxMHwyMjN4Nj031DpCOlg7fD1fRwZJUUt4TI5Ms02SUDBRR1JTVUtVxlb6WAdZ8F3yYeJirGNDZJ1kqmo2akNqjGwIbAtsjG0ZbTpwUXBSdm94L3sNfOV-sH8rf8aD24SiidOKBow2jX2Nv4_6kA2TJ5Uul5WX9JuGm6GdqqEvoqOi2ayYsNi0xbd1uMq8b76KwFTB88LsyBTQH9DQ1CPYVNmG2-fdqOc651TopOv17BjtP-4V7-vw1fD58YryHfLh9W_31__e

incredibly fun to destroy bosses with 1-2 traps. I don't know about next league's trade challenges, but this was fun and profitable. I only charged for the lab runs if I had to buy a key for them, but got tips instead and the guys came back with their alts. I could've even optimized the build with a wither totem, vaal light traps, but that was just not needed at all =) see you in some weeks aye!
IGN: WildTortillaFart
Grats on 40 Chronodroid!
Spoiler

And grats too on the 6-link chest. If I'm not mistaken you push through to 40 challenges sometimes without even having a 6-link; nice to see your luck change this league.

Sounds like trap builds are still very strong this league.

Hvakhshathra linked a very similar (maybe the same?) build in a private message. If I have time this league I might give it whirl.

Currently I'm leveling a dual Ancestral Warchief build - so far this thing is crazy. Supposedly it gets up to 900K DPS in the end. And I found an optimization (ring that forces bleed on hit) which should push that well over a million DPS per totem.

I'll post an update later on once I finish off Dried Lake leveling.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Jul 4, 2016, 1:29:48 AM
"
Serleth wrote:
Oh, just noticed.

Grimjack, you're wrong about this:

"
The extra couple points of IIQ makes a big difference... especially on map drops

IIQ on gear has no effect on map drops. Only the IIQ on the map roll itself + any Zana mod you might run.

The reason for this is that IIQ's impact is only on items and currency. Maps are neither, they are their own base type.

Thanks for the correction - I've always thought they were counted as currency. Learn something new every day!
Current league IGN: Teldra_Anc_LAD
Feel free to message me in game if I'm on.
"
hankinsohl wrote:
Grats on 40 Chronodroid!
Spoiler

And grats too on the 6-link chest. If I'm not mistaken you push through to 40 challenges sometimes without even having a 6-link; nice to see your luck change this league.

Sounds like trap builds are still very strong this league.

Hvakhshathra linked a very similar (maybe the same?) build in a private message. If I have time this league I might give it whirl.

Currently I'm leveling a dual Ancestral Warchief build - so far this thing is crazy. Supposedly it gets up to 900K DPS in the end. And I found an optimization (ring that forces bleed on hit) which should push that well over a million DPS per totem.

I'll post an update later on once I finish off Dried Lake leveling.

Thanks :) Indeed possible yes, Hank. Tho I played with tabula until mid 80ies just fine, even the uberlab.
Spoiler
The build I followed is the The acid rainer by Ekarpoe. I've seen the crazy Hegemony Warchief (and I cannot imagine even more power with Voidheart :O). This league indeed went crazy. Reach bow builds, Voidhearts, prolif almost back, EQ-variants, low life ghost blade vortexers.. Tho if they don't adapt all the prophecy stuff the core items won't be available in next leagues, yet I hope they let the mechanics untouched. Why? So many possibilities to play like you desire instead of 1-3 meta "must" builds.

The crit bladefall is not especially new, but I didn't play a trapper since domination or so ^^ and I dislike levelling multiple times during a league due to the dropoff at weeks 2-4 in market and activity. And I really wanted something to destroy every content, which I achieved =)

Also hank, let me know if you need stuff in PSC, I have cough cough some leftovers cough, I don't need stuff in STD
IGN: WildTortillaFart
Congratulations to Chronodroid on the completed 40!

Unrelated Standard league news:
Spoiler
I linked my non-MF bow.

The fun part about this bow is I had no idea what I was doing when I crafted it. I had just seen the information dump on reddit about the guaranteed +3 methods, and some of the comments were wondering if this was intended and if it would be fixed. Not knowing if there would be changes or if this was intended, I logged back into Standard to make one, just in case.

I was following this build guide at the time, really just following the tree. I was not reading the conversations or trying to understand the mechanics of the skill/build. It was only recently I realized this was pretty good, and so decided to finally link the bow.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info