One-Week Cut-Throat (IV008)

Honestly I really thought I would like cut-throat more than I actually did.

When I read about league I was super pumped and sounded like a blast.

In reality it was far from.

Not only are balance issues REALLY noticed in cut throat but the hackers are easy to spot.

However the IDEA of cut-throat I think is great. Just think some things need to be tweaked.

1.) Fix level of ppl that can join instance. Having someone NUMBEROUS levels higher than you kill you is very irritating. Like why can they even join your instance.

2.) Losing all your gear is just not fun. If you lose a battle 1v1 with the gear your currently wearing, than your backup gear is going to be even worse which means your digging yourself a hole. Die again after that and your toast. Even trying to just run away from others, slogging through the levels/areas to try to get geared up again is a horrible feeling since your wearing such crappy gear that it takes forever to kill things and monsters hurt you bad.

I think cut-throat could be great so I suggest something like the following.

Besides for losing a good amount of exp when you die, have it so instead of dropping ALL of your gear, it drops a random equipped piece of gear.

This way cut-throat is still fun and enjoyable but dying does not put you into a hole that is nearly impossible to crawl back out of.

I made a physical bow ranger and got to a3 and realized what a god awful idea it was. Casters are 100x superior in a cut-throat league.

After remaking a shadow freezing pulse/cold snap/fire trap guy, and killing over 50% of the encounters I came across it still was not very fun. Watching groups of people in clans or just friends camp waypoints and entrances and all be many levels higher than you to begin with is not a great feeling when you are already under geared.
Killed Hailrake at level 4. Went to the coast and used whois to find a level 2 character. Killed him. Achievement unlocked. Quit league. Character deleted. Look forward to next week when those two sweet sweet transmute orbs make their way to standard.
As the previous commenter had mentioned, this seemed to be a great idea... until you give people the freedom to repeatedly kill the same person, over and over again. Im sure no one minds dying one or 2 times. Happens in the normal game, anyway... But getting camped by people 6 levels higher than you, sitting at the spawn point of the map and killing you, again and again and again... or running around, looking for a portal scroll because that tell tale lag spike just happened, meaning that someone had entered your instance.

I think this is a great idea with nothing less than pathetic implementation.

Come on guys. we love your game. Dont give us half baked leagues for the sake of having a league. May as well just have extended flashback then... im sure no one would have minded that...
A lot of whining going on here...Anyways I've enjoyed leveling up to level 20 and have lost my gear 3 times, but have killed quite a few players running Bear/fire traps. Its pretty disheartening to lose your gear, but its a rush to kill a camper that has preyed on you. I've been invading players with the intent to take their currency and leaving their gear and I think a random allocation to one peice of their gear is a great idea, so more people don't get griefed out of the league. I think the PvP isnt too far out of balance, a few adjustments and it might actually work. Grand it that most players of POE dont like PvP, I myself Love a good Challenger and have had a blast Leveling only 20 levels but felt like 70 lol.
Hope to see more Cut-throat in months to come.
there is no balance if you start with 0 resists and ony find fire traps/cold snaps in Coast.
Just had my first rip at lv29 in slums, someone instagibbed me with bear traps. And with that, I'm out. No reward to push on, just wanted to see how far I'd get in one life.
CT just doesn't work in races longer than 2-3 hours. All the initial fun dies out and it only goes downhill from there.

And the thing is GGG is totally aware of that I'm sure (there were attempts of 4-5hr CT races, which failed hard), but still give themselves an easy 1week to tweak their shit for beta and not care for live cuz ppl got their "league".
Last edited by MyH4o on Jun 12, 2015, 1:19:05 AM
The 10 level diff for ganking and the lack of rewards for participating pretty well doomed this league. There's only a couple hundred people playing and pretty well every zone is dead.
I enjoy the concept but it's been a total miss in it's implementation. I got to level 21 but with no one else playing it's a waste of time.

I'll sit out the rest of this until the next league.
Im not a fan of ARPG-PvP but i cant understand why people are complaning about it when all consequences are listed days before the event started in the associated event-thread.

And to be camped(or intercepted) at bottleneck points (almost all act 1, act 2 vaal pyramid, Sarn city after Vaal Oversoul) should be common sense because thats the logical step everyone would do, which situation is advantageous compared to others( more levels, better gear, or both, organized killing groups).

That leage is similar to the PvP in Eve Online.
If you enter low-sec (unguarded Zones = PvP zones) you are considered as prey and losing a pvp encounter means: You lose all your gear (ship) and eventually some of your skillpoints( exp) if your character gets destroyed(podded).

Also similar situation in Mortal Online. Here you dont even have a safe zone you can everywhere been attacked and looted till your bones(literally).

Like Barivius said, most will do it just for the Achievement and leave. If they even come so far judging by the long list of no-exp or level 1-2 characters that got disgusted by the 'PvP Experience'.

Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Jun 12, 2015, 8:27:45 AM
yea i had enough yesterday. i came too the conclusion that the league would feel far better with a level cap and gray only gear. losing all your gear when all you have are gray's is easy to replace. but when your fighting people in full gg rares the ones "standing on a mountain of corpses"? good luck.
twitch.tv/jfpforever

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info