One-Week Cut-Throat (IV008)

Level 5, have nothing on me. Get ganked by three guys, so no gear.

Not spending the time to punch things and not get gear. This was about as fun as a root canal.
"
Quendishir wrote:
Level 5, have nothing on me. Get ganked by three guys, so no gear.

Not spending the time to punch things and not get gear. This was about as fun as a root canal.
i got to level 4 before entering town, lol. just kept logging off for more hillock

it's pretty shite how it's "solo" but with guilds people still team-up - but that's what this mode does sadly..

did you at least kill someone and get the achievement?
http://poestatistics.com/users/seibar/
Fuck yeah, started like 7 hours late, and this league is already dead.
Started a few hours late, currently level 25 and rank 288. Ded league, but I'm having a blast.
Mayb i didnt understand the game really but, Casters are a bit better off right?

I mean Casters only need like 3 linked sockets to be back at decent damage while melee and bow needs a decent phys dmg weapon with at least the 20% qual.

At the time of writing this I am position 9 on the ladder(I think I topped out at 7 or 8? It doesn't matter) and I believe the league to be fundamentally flawed.

I am definitely a stranger to PoE PvP. I have never really found "who's number is bigger" PvP in ARPG/RPGs to be that interesting. Path of Exile's strength is in its PvE content and that's completely fine. Path of Exile does PvE better than any game I have experienced. In my opinion it is in the ranks of Dwarf Fortress/Portal in terms of the beauty of its design. However, this cut-throat league needs quite a bit of tweaking.

The core experience tonight for a lot of people was that someone comes up behind them and stomps them while unaware. Then their items are taken from them and they lose interest in the league. The reason for this is because you have created an environment where the predator takes almost no risk at all. I first noticed this when I kept getting attacked in Cruel difficulty. I would run away or scare them off with some traps, but I noticed that there were a few people just sitting at the way-point. They were scanning instances from the way-point and then clown stomping people from the safety of their three act wide radar. When there were groups of people doing this I think they effectively shut down City of Sarn in normal for quite a while this evening. A situation was created where groups of organized people taking little to no risk were pitted against unorganized, unaware, people.

My suggestions to balance a cut-throat style league:

Twilight Strand, Southern Forest, and City of Sarn should be safe areas. The reason being is that it provides a safe place to farm for new gear if you need it and they are a natural bottle-neck where the strong will attempt to pick on the weak.

Remove the ability to join other instances from the way-point. This forces those who wish to attack others to expose themselves to danger. As stated above it was quite obvious they were sitting in town looking for easy fights.

Remove the ability to "/whois" other players and/or remove names/levels from the instance screen. This again promotes people actually exposing themselves instead of sitting at menus looking for easy prey to one-shot.

Instead of putting a timer on portals, completely lock portals/logging out when there are two or more people in an instance and notify players they are not alone. You are still stuck in the playing field with the other person, but you aren't just magically one-shot from behind while clearing a shrine. I'm not a fan of hand-holding in games(Natural Selection is my favorite shooter and when it comes to MMOs EvE-Online was a lot of fun), but I honestly don't believe that was the experience that was intended with this league as its not very interesting gameplay.

To prove a point, I leveled from 45-50 in all whites/random blues because I put myself in zones without way-points and was completely unmolested.

Spoiler
>Fetid Pool(40)
>Felshrine(42)
>Chamber of Sins(42)
>Warehouse District(48)
>Lunaris 1(51)

Amazing Equipment:

You are near 100% safe in these areas because anyone looking for kills is sitting in town scanning from the way-point. When I would portal back with a bag full of goodies, I would go to A1N to vendor so that people weren't stalking me or doing "/whois" when I took my portal back to reset.

I happily admit that the 1MHC All Mods was the most fun I have ever had in Path of Exile. However, the experience in the cut-throat thus-far is far from interesting.

Its late and I am rambling. GGG, keep up the good work on 2.0, but the whole PvP thing is not PoE's strength(That's 100% OK).
"
KineMorto wrote:

When there were groups of people doing this I think they effectively shut down City of Sarn in normal for quite a while this evening.

It was ... interesting.

There was a group of at least 3 guys effectivly closing the pyramids down. After I died a couple of times there, I had nothing but white gear left, and fighting them was of course not an option.

I created a new instance, and ran past a couple of corners. There I portaled back to town, and created a new instance while they were busy chasing my false lead. In the new instance, I ran quickly past all mobs to get to the oversoul before they could catch me.

Of course they caught up with me before I could kill the oversoul. I dropped a portal, ran twice around the oversoul and took the portal back to town. Now, how to get past the guard in the oversoul room? He knows I will not give up my portal, so all he needs to do is to sit there. I'll have to go back.

I used the waypoint to go back, keeping my portal open. I ran past all the mobs again, but before going up the stairs to the Apex, I dropped a portal and waited 10-15 sec. My idea was that the guard in the oversoul room would think I had given up this instance when my portal disappeared.

True enough, as I entered I saw HIS portal, he had gone back to town to scan the instances to see where I was. I had just enough time to run to the exit to Sarn before he found out I had tricked him and he came back.

Very interesting "fight", I must say. The alternative was to go back farming Fellshrine for more loot for the predators, and I didn't like that idea ;)
Tide goes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that.
Last edited by Nutius on Jun 11, 2015, 5:34:21 AM
My experiance so far in this league, enter WP to try kill someomne. Instant death on waypoint to multiple bear traps and firetraps from player teaming up.
Make my own instance, get followed by same player over and over. Lvl 14 vs 22, easy to progress.
Was fun the first hour but than faded away quickly.
Thanks for trying a cut throat league at least :)
cheers!
This league, in 30 minutes, made me regret buying a supporter's pack! I wasn't expecting i would ever regret it! I feel like a raped and left out naked on the street girl. You get killed by some well geared people in 2 shots, and then you're left without ANY items. Only your spell gems and flasks. How am i supposed to make a comeback after this? With white wand? Atleast i got the achievement i came for(thanks to a friend i asked to help me). I'm not as sad as i originally was.
I might be an asshole, but at least I am toxic.
I think with a little bit of THOUGHT put into this, and with the experience of this event.
We might see another Cutthroat league.
has potential

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info