New Low-Level Uniques

I am all for taking some of the truly useless uniques out of the game, thus increasing the drop chance for the good ones. I mean do we really need like 300+ uniques of which only 1-200 are remotely useful?
Unique rolling

The last post here is one of many explaining how uniques are rolled.

1. Rarity is rolled first
2. Uniques are special because each item has its own chance to drop. It does NOT check the base item.
"
Peripherally wrote:
I can understand why some might be upset at adding more low level uniques to a pool of stuff most regret seeing drop when they're mapping. After all, the grind of maps is the hardest of all and seeing the effort rewarding by a drop that's good for a char 50-60 levels lower is a bit of a letdown (ok maybe a big letdown).

Probably these new low level items will be fun to look at for the first few weeks, then once people have leveled they'll become redundant and space filler. Seems like an eventuality, but I do have a suggestion that might be able to change all of that.

Suggestion for GGG:
What if every unique was tied to a specific drop table limited mainly/especially by level? For example if a level 20 unique only drops in level 17-23 areas, and so on. I imagine this would lead to much less frustration for both higher and lower level characters, since they'd be more likely to find drops that are relevant to their progression. To help compensate for the resultant limiting of uniques that could drop, the overall frequency of uniques dropping could also be increased for every area. This might also lead to high level chars farming some lower level areas as they may want to build around a certain item, accomplishing the same goal as GGG stated for their Divination cards: that is, to encourage people to farm certain areas in order to find specific items. You could solve a ton of problems people have looking for uniques to enable builds, and for especially powerful ones, their scarcity could be still be regulated even if overall unique drops were to be increased for each area level.

I'll make a post for this in the Suggestion forum as well, this seems like a legit idea (barring stuff I haven't foreseen).

Without a rewrite of the item generation code, I don't think this is possible. I think in order for that to happen, GGG would have to change it so that unique rarity is rolled the same as normal/magic/rare - that is: After the item base was determined. There are no LL uniques on high ilevel item bases, so that would solve that problem immediately.

The problem is, GGG did it this way specifically for a reason. What that reason was, I don't know, and I'm not sure if anyone does. (I dont even know if GGG does anymore).

I cordially invite them to revisit that particular bit of code and examine the reasoning why it's different. You can keep it the same, you can change it - that's your call. I would just like you to refresh yourselves on why it is the way that it is. :3 (and if you would tell us too, that'd be great ;3 )
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Last edited by TikoXi on Jun 3, 2015, 7:37:32 AM
"
Felifix wrote:
I am all for taking some of the truly useless uniques out of the game, thus increasing the drop chance for the good ones. I mean do we really need like 300+ uniques of which only 1-200 are remotely useful?

In leagues even a crappy Araku Tiki gets used. Since that is the main thrust of this game, yeah we need all of the uniques.
"
Felifix wrote:

Not how it works, please read up on how uniques drop.

And try to understand not everyone plays standard. In a short term hardcore league low level uniques dropping in maps is a good thing. As soon as your character dies you'll be happy to have that unique in your stash.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
"
TikoXi wrote:

The problem is, GGG did it this way specifically for a reason. What that reason was, I don't know, and I'm not sure if anyone does. (I dont even know if GGG does anymore).

Because it is much worse to take a level 80 character to farm a level 20 zone to gear an alt than it is to find a level 20 item in a level 75 zone and vendor it.
"
mucker wrote:
It is not true.
When the game rolls a drop it first asks is it unique or not.
If it is a unique then it picks it from the unique table.
New uniques do not diminish the chance to get other uniques.
The chance a drop will be unique goes up slightly every time a unique is added.

If it were like that, than it would be even worse because if after you guarantee that a unique will drop... and then!!! It would pick from the "huge" pool of all the uniques.
Unless it goes by the base type next. Which ends up being the same as i explained. But that only GGG can confirm.
What do you mean that the league is not rewarding or fun? You put in 5 useless items in the device and you get 1 useless item... Oh wait!
/Talisman League(2015/2016)

Oh look, Synthesis League(2019) = Talisman League all over again.
"
x_KOR_x wrote:

If it were like that, than it would be even worse because if after you guarantee that a unique will drop... and then!!! It would pick from the "huge" pool of all the uniques.
Unless it goes by the base type next. Which ends up being the same as i explained. But that only GGG can confirm.

Hi. Welcome to PoE and thanks for supporting the game.

As they add uniques they chance the numbers in the table. Every league, your chance to get a specific unique like Kaom's Heart remains roughly the same. This is how GGG has stated it works.
"
TikoXi wrote:

Without a rewrite of the item generation code, I don't think this is possible. I think in order for that to happen, GGG would have to change it so that unique rarity is rolled the same as normal/magic/rare - that is: After the item base was determined. There are no LL uniques on high ilevel item bases, so that would solve that problem immediately.

I cordially invite them to revisit that particular bit of code and examine the reasoning why it's different. You can keep it the same, you can change it - that's your call. I would just like you to refresh yourselves on why it is the way that it is. :3 (and if you would tell us too, that'd be great ;3 )

The reasoning is quite simple.
- They can add uniques of the same base and not reduce the chance to get a given unique. They could add 37 more unique occultist vestments and it would not reduce the chance to get a shavs in the current system.
- The game is designed to be fun to play over and over again with new builds. Players are not expected (nor incentivized) to keep playing one character for ever. The low level uniques you find in maps are for your next character. This is especially true for temp leagues, even more so for hardcore.
Last edited by mucker on Jun 3, 2015, 7:55:32 AM
<high fives Barivius>

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info