Skill tree: Easy way to move passive points

"
"
goetzjam wrote:
The other way to look at it is if GGG were to do what OP is suggesting would they not have to balance the content around people specifically being more "efficient" with tree pathing. Basically nullifying the whole idea that a build would somehow become more viable earlier?

There's no need to rebalance the content, as the build never gets out of the bonds of what can be done at its level, and it isn't massively changed at any point like a Righteous Fire build is.

"
goetzjam wrote:
Again I did a simple 60 or so skill point variation, if I were to do a level 80-85 the amount of points needed to save to reallocated to relink would be much higher. I think people that want to play or level in a different way should pay the price to do so.

Even if you got to 10 pathing points (which is starting to get very unreallistic), or even 20 that have to be switched between two different paths, the change to the build remains minor and thus should not be inhibited.

So no need to rebalance, even though you are removing the ability to have the option to save now and level slower or pay more and level faster? I rather GGG continue to enable options not remove them. Under OP's suggestion you are saying "we don't care what you do with your tree", you won't have to pay anything extra to correct mistakes or change complete playstyles.

should not be inhibited

That is the beauty of the current situation is it isn't inhibited its still possible with cost.

Either way we are just going around in circles I dislike the idea of making these "tree breaks" cheaper. It isn't poor design because it doesn't cater to his huge oversight, I mean he made the post thinking he had to pay 3 extra regrets to make this change when in practice he only had to pay 1extra. We are talking about basically 2 chaos or less worth of "i fucked up tax" which is insane.

This thread isn't worth my time anymore, anyone that reads this thread understands my position and I made counter arguements, with pictures and descriptions on why this isnt ok.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
I think it's probably intended that it'll cost you more than n respec points just to better optimize n passive points.

Something to do with the importance of prior game knowledge, making meaningful choices, your choices having meaning, and your capacity to use the knowledge of those failures to better bet against the future of your tree.

I'm just guessing here, but I'd wager that's a pretty fundamental tenant of PoE at this point.

Spoiler
FWIW, I have always sucked at all of the above, and hate using regrets because of it.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
goetzjam wrote:
Ok, I've made a couple of pictures to basically describe what exactly can happen in a circumstance where as long as you link the tree before the end of the passive point allocation and how powerful what OP is suggesting actually is in terms of balance.

http://i.imgur.com/CljurSF.png

http://i.imgur.com/HtbglZZ.png

Take these 2 trees for example. In the first picture I can just cut thru the bottom and get to the Templar life and damage nodes sooner then the second picture. I get access to the AoE nodes sooner, I get access to life regen sooner, basically I get access to everything I want sooner.

Its less points to travel thru those stat nodes then go along the top (as I would want later, basically as shown in the second picture)

In this character I want aoe, cold damage, dual curses and probably some reduced mana reservation for auras. Note this is just an example its not an actual character.

Thru the shorter pathing (first picture) I get access to 2 strength and 1 dex node which is much more useful then extra int nodes while leveling as well.

So lets see as long as I am able to link the tree after breaking it there would be 0 reason at all not to go the first picture way at first and respec later, as there isn't any additional cost of regrets or saving points in order to do so. This means I get access to everything earlier and I don't actually really need to plan the tree at all just take the most efficient method at the time and respec out later, while not worrying about paying anything additional or saving points by BENEFITING EARLIER.

I see what you mean now and I've decided to change my position to being in favour of how it currently works. You are correct that the proposed change would allow for the player to make numerous refinements to their build at minimal cost, and significantly changing their passive tree set up and benefits from it.

A minimal change would be if you took advantage of the proposed change once, but the proposed change to the skill tree would allow you to repeatedly do it whenever and wherever you want in the tree which makes it incredibly OP.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on May 30, 2015, 8:56:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info