Skill tree: Easy way to move passive points

The passive tree has been reworked a lot and will keep getting reworked a lot, so don't worry this will probably get changed at some point (2.0, I'd guess).

Balancing stuff is VERY complex, and sometimes some things need to get the short end of the stick so that the others can work decently. This isn't an exact science and mistakes can be made. Just keep your cool and try to submit as feedback what you feel is wrong, the devs will know what you consider is wrong with the skill tree.
Ok, I've made a couple of pictures to basically describe what exactly can happen in a circumstance where as long as you link the tree before the end of the passive point allocation and how powerful what OP is suggesting actually is in terms of balance.

http://i.imgur.com/CljurSF.png

http://i.imgur.com/HtbglZZ.png

Take these 2 trees for example. In the first picture I can just cut thru the bottom and get to the Templar life and damage nodes sooner then the second picture. I get access to the AoE nodes sooner, I get access to life regen sooner, basically I get access to everything I want sooner.

Its less points to travel thru those stat nodes then go along the top (as I would want later, basically as shown in the second picture)

In this character I want aoe, cold damage, dual curses and probably some reduced mana reservation for auras. Note this is just an example its not an actual character.

Thru the shorter pathing (first picture) I get access to 2 strength and 1 dex node which is much more useful then extra int nodes while leveling as well.

So lets see as long as I am able to link the tree after breaking it there would be 0 reason at all not to go the first picture way at first and respec later, as there isn't any additional cost of regrets or saving points in order to do so. This means I get access to everything earlier and I don't actually really need to plan the tree at all just take the most efficient method at the time and respec out later, while not worrying about paying anything additional or saving points by BENEFITING EARLIER.

https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
The passive tree has been reworked a lot and will keep getting reworked a lot, so don't worry this will probably get changed at some point (2.0, I'd guess).

Balancing stuff is VERY complex, and sometimes some things need to get the short end of the stick so that the others can work decently. This isn't an exact science and mistakes can be made. Just keep your cool and try to submit as feedback what you feel is wrong, the devs will know what you consider is wrong with the skill tree.

The op has a very very valid point. In substance, he has been "damaged" by the tax points. Just a minute ago i was counting them: SIX everywhere in a circular and specular pattern, for the love of simmetry and good lookingness (ggg loves the design of the tree over the functionality... maybe for christmas i can gift them of some cosmetic products of Max Factor or Loreal Paris to do the make up of the tree and make it appear sexiest).

Marauder-duelist
duelist-ranger
ranger-shadow
shadow-witch
witch-templar
templar-marauder

it doesn't matter what is your journey: you MUST throw in the toilet and flush water SIX precious points...

Wispo is salty? Think about this before thinking bad of me: if your builds that could have been finished, say, at level 84... are instead finished at lvl 90 and you all MUST bash your "spheres" with slooooooow exp gain for 6 levels more... it's all FAULT of those 6 TAX points and of ggg's forever ongoing obsession for nerfing whatever good result we could obtain

"
Wispo wrote:
"

The op has a very very valid point. In substance, he has been "damaged" by the tax points. Just a minute ago i was counting them: SIX everywhere in a circular and specular pattern, for the love of simmetry and good lookingness (ggg loves the design of the tree over the functionality... maybe for christmas i can gift them of some cosmetic products of Max Factor or Loreal Paris to do the make up of the tree and make it appear sexiest).

Marauder-duelist
duelist-ranger
ranger-shadow
shadow-witch
witch-templar
templar-marauder

it doesn't matter what is your journey: you MUST throw in the toilet and flush water SIX precious points...

Wispo is salty? Think about this before thinking bad of me: if your builds that could have been finished, say, at level 84... are instead finished at lvl 90 and you all MUST bash your "spheres" with slooooooow exp gain for 6 levels more... it's all FAULT of those 6 TAX points and of ggg's forever ongoing obsession for nerfing whatever good result we could obtain

No - its about making choices at ALL stages of the game. The OP took those nodes because he needed them at the time (either to get where he initially wanted to go, or because he needed them for skills.) GGG isn't telling me he CAN'T change the tree - they just have rules in place that require a certain procedure in order to do so.

I think that weighing short term benefits vs. long term benefits is one of the golden aspects of the game. Sure - those life nodes aren't as important as damage nodes in Normal - but they are critical in Merciless. If I can break a tree and put it back together any way I want to - I can benefit from BOTH, and therefore I do not need to plan my build out in advance.

What the OP is basically asking for is a (nearly) full respec at will. That defeats the purpose of planning out a build from the start.
Last edited by JuniorHakensheath on May 29, 2015, 10:23:26 AM
"
goetzjam wrote:

That's a small change. The build remains the exact same, and you're only trying to gain 1 node by doing this change, plus eventually switching stats to more practical ones. I don't see any issue in allowing players to do this. It even allows for a more enjoyable build progression. No, I can't say I find anything wrong with allowing this.
"
"
goetzjam wrote:

That's a small change. The build remains the exact same, and you're only trying to gain 1 node by doing this change, plus eventually switching stats to more practical ones. I don't see any issue in allowing players to do this. It even allows for a more enjoyable build progression. No, I can't say I find anything wrong with allowing this.

Its not about the one node its about either a tradeoff of the additional cost for different pathing, knowing I can benefit now by cutting threw even though I know my endgame path will be different.

Its mainly order of operations, if I can get damage nodes earlier like in my picture I would NEVER path the other way, hell i might not anyways because it is worth the cost to pay the extra regrets or save skill points by doing it that way (meaning not allocate them until I can link my tree elsewhere).

Like someone else posted you are essentially removing the need to plan your tree at all basically.

This is an example of a build or playstyle that is similar, do I need to do one that is much different to show you how stupidly powerful this can be? Its also only like a 60 point skill tree, so of course the change looks "small" in retrospect.

FeelsBadMan

Last edited by goetzjam on May 29, 2015, 10:35:16 AM
"
"
Wispo wrote:
"

Marauder-duelist
duelist-ranger
ranger-shadow
shadow-witch
witch-templar
templar-marauder

No - its about making choices at ALL stages of the game. The OP took those nodes because he needed them at the time (either to get where he initially wanted to go, or because he needed them for skills.) GGG isn't telling me he CAN'T change the tree - they just have rules in place that require a certain procedure in order to do so.

I think that weighing short term benefits vs. long term benefits is one of the golden aspects of the game. Sure - those life nodes aren't as important as damage nodes in Normal - but they are critical in Merciless. If I can break a tree and put it back together any way I want to - I can benefit from BOTH, and therefore I do not need to plan my build out in advance.

What the OP is basically asking for is a (nearly) full respec at will. That defeats the purpose of planning out a build from the start.

The project of a build, and here you are right, is important... and it is funny, at least for me it's very funny
but you'll agree with me that choices are forever gimped, because the tree "walls you" (if you have noticed) by not allowing you to take alternative routes that would allow you to SAVE a point: in fact, 90% of the times when i project as build with poe builder, if i try an alternative route away from the "6 tax points of boredom" at the goal of SAVING 3-4 points, EVEN IN THE ALTERNATIVE ROAD i find ALWAYS at least ONE tax point posed IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE -.- (example, the +10 stra in templar area -vertical road- between resolute tecnique and whirling barrier)

Because ggg DOESN'T WANT you to save points... YOU >>>MUST<<< WASTE THEM -.-

Wispo, that's because they designed balance with travel nodes in mind. They could eliminate all the travel nodes like you say, but then they'd only give you like 45 points to allocate (since they only want builds to have a certain amount of good nodes).
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
Hemmingfish wrote:
I've waited on making this thread until I could find a good example of it, which (un)fortunately cropped up on my ranger in the 1 month HC league.

Here's the issue: there's no way to apply respec and passive points in one action. This is a major issue when it comes to orphaned nodes. Take for instance this segment of my ranger's passive tree:

Big Image

I've decided I don't need the int nodes after all, which means I no longer need the dex node below them either. I would like to move them like this:

This would be a direct upgrade to my character, but right now it's impossible to do without getting THREE more passive points than I actually need, or using twice as many respec points as it should cost (respec nodes from somewhere else, place to link up, respec the int nodes and dex and put the ones i specced back). It's a nuisance rather than game-breaking but it's a terrible waste of currency for what should be a reasonably simple action.

Right now the process is:

1) Attempt to respec the nodes. The game won't let me because orphaned nodes.
2) Confirm
3) Place nodes where needed
4) Confirm

It would be significantly more manageable if this was the process:

1) Attempt to respec the nodes. The game lets me because it doesn't know where they're going yet. At this point the confirm box would be darkened and wouldn't let you press it.
2) Without hitting confirm, place the passives you've gotten from respeccing into the desired nodes. If the tree is intact again, confirm lights up
3) Confirm

It's just something that really bugs me and could be solved so relatively simply. Please look into it for 2.0 GGG.

EDIT: I realise I only need one additional skill point to make the link, but that's one too many.

good idea. i too am in the same boat. i don't like having to spend twice the respec points for situations like this. this is a clever idea. maybe like drag and drop could be made possible?

"
goetzjam wrote:

I guess I need to make a tree to show you the potential power of what OP is suggesting, in his case specifically here the power move isn't that high, but if regrets were 1:1 allowing you to break the tree at any point as long as you connected it before you finished we are talking about something that is extremely powerful, something many people spend 20-40 regret orbs doing every single league.

why are you going so deep into this? this is the suggestions forum. if there would be a problem surely the developers can figure out a solution. if they should decide to want to put this idea into the game that is. don't be so dramatic :)
Last edited by kompaniet on May 29, 2015, 11:07:29 AM
"
kompaniet wrote:

"
goetzjam wrote:

I guess I need to make a tree to show you the potential power of what OP is suggesting, in his case specifically here the power move isn't that high, but if regrets were 1:1 allowing you to break the tree at any point as long as you connected it before you finished we are talking about something that is extremely powerful, something many people spend 20-40 regret orbs doing every single league.

why are you going so deep into this? this is the suggestions forum. if there would be a problem surely the developers can figure out a solution. if they should decide to want to put this idea into the game that is. don't be so dramatic :)

I already posted a reply based on if his suggestion was added, hell I'm willing to show more examples. My reply starts with:

Spoiler
Ok, I've made a couple of pictures to basically describe what exactly can happen in a circumstance where as long as you link the tree before the end of the passive point allocation and how powerful what OP is suggesting actually is in terms of balance.

This WAS just the feedback forum, but yes its suggestion as well. OP might not be aware of consequences that can happen because of his suggestion, hence why I am willing to show it :P

I wasn't saying the issue was technical rather then having seriously large economic as well as gameflow issues. As I pointed out above with his suggestion you could completely change your playstyle around saving a large amount of regrets in the process. IMO that is a problem, hence why I post, why are you so concerned about me posting when you didn't bother to see I actually already did the work listed in the quote?

FeelsBadMan

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info