Plz buff Kaoms Heart back to 1000.

"
raics wrote:
Well, they did say in the interview that a bunch of outdated uniques will be revisited soon, maybe Kaom will get some care too.

Hum, I don't recall that one, but that is good if they do.

The problem with Kaom's is that its been hit multiple times, first with the legacy nerf, then with the multiple tree\life changes. On top of that it's downsides are rather large, especially in a game like PoE where sockets = damage and options.

No sockets
Low armor
No resistances

IMO a nice niche for it would be giving it something like +1 max fire res. While max res is strong it also can be build enabling or at least very helpful. I understand you can use this and searing touch currently for a pretty strong combo, but would it be broken with +1 more max fire res? What about it with something like RF. Use atziri scepter+rise+kaoms for some nice damage?

IMO Kaoms lacks its wow factor now, 500 life while nice i not build enabling and the cost is significant.

(worth noting facebreakers got hit hard for it back then, after the new shield, new jewels it should be fine, still at the time was overreacting)

"
skip weapon progression, this is a trading game after all.

Well where is our trade system? (/s) They added the racing recipes which actually help with weapon progression before that if you were playing a weapon class you had to get lucky or buy one, now you can make a new weapon every few levels and progress better, this is another perfect example of how they nerf a unqiue they didn't need it if they had done changes they later did.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Last edited by goetzjam on May 21, 2015, 3:06:58 PM
"
goetzjam wrote:
On top of that it's downsides are rather large, especially in a game like PoE where sockets = damage and options.

Right, but no sockets is a very situational downside so it isn't enough to limit its use, if we assume Kaom got buffed enough to trounce rare chests cleanly, it will be used by any life build with a 6s weapon, which are 2H melee, Bow ranged and Staff Casters, I'm afraid the target group would be too large that way.

And about that unique thing I mentioned, imagine wanting to outfit your char for some light MF-ing. You'd get, say, Goldwyrm, Aurseize, Rat's Nest and one Andvarius which puts you over 300 base life in the red. Kaom would fit that situation perfectly and eliminate all of the penalty if it only had decent resists.

"
goetzjam wrote:
this is another perfect example of how they nerf a unqiue they didn't need it if they had done changes they later did.

Hey, what kind of an unofficial fanboy are you? :)

Sometimes I have no idea what am I doing at the moment myself, and that's just one person, it would probably be too much to ask from any group (that doesn't have a collective mind). A big part of this game doesn't fit their original plan, I imagine. Making a constantly evolving game like this is like walking a dog, it's easy when it's small but if it grows too big you can only give it general direction and hope it will end up somewhere in the vicinity :)

But yeah, that's one of three big paradoxes of PoE, a trade-centric game without a trade system, go figure.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
goetzjam wrote:
But its not really, people don't want to fuck with mana management anymore so they bloodmagic the skill and reserve all mana as auras, which means using soultaker is pointless, its DPS was nerfed WAY TOO HARD.

I see it in A3M town all the time. Maybe just the skin, but I doubt people would skin such a weapon all the time.

It's fine. A good rare should deal far more damage than it. The only reason you should use it is if you don't have any other option. It's still a very good option for CI builds. Life always has BM.

"
goetzjam wrote:
The 2 hardest nerfs GGG has ever done was Kaoms heart and soul taker...

Uh, no.

First and foremost, the worst nerf they ever did was killing block. There was absolutely no fucking reason for them to do so. Everyone used it for the following reasons:

1. Cheap.

2. Easy to set up.

3. It affected just about all damage out there. The damage types out there that bypassed it were as rare as chaos damage, so it was easily avoided.

4. MoM and life made it very easy to tank the damage that wasn't avoided, including the above #3.

What did GGG do?

1. Killed block by making it impossible to cap it off without a very specific setup with unique items.

2. Not using unique items forces all passives to be consumed in the process of capping block.

Both above methods are inefficent, and simply not worth it under any circumstances.

What should've GGG done?

1. Introduce more secondary damage, like that of Detonate Dead, Fire Trap, Minion Instability, etc.

2. Introduce more uniques that affect block. The current ones are far too specific and don't work well together.

3. Make block nodes more specific. This means 5% instead of 2%, and only one cluster in an area instead of four of them. You get the same amount, but with less points. This balances out the fact that more damage bypasses your block, allowing you to get more life.

4. Introduce...

But that's a lot of work. GGG just took the easy way out, the nerfbat. It's all they ever do and ever will do.

As for another, I'd say Viper Strike was the second worst hit. I actually used it when it did flat damage per level. Now I can't, cause ANY other attack will deal twice the damage.

"
raics wrote:
That's a very fresh outlook on build enabling, fortunately, devs do not share it. Belly is a stat stick unique in every possible sense.

What someone chooses to believe isn't fact. The fact is that BotB saves on passives, and that means you can do other things with those points. It's enabling.

Getting 100 more flat life doesn't mean you can just skip out on %life. Flat life doesn't convert to %life.

Getting "chaos damage doesn't bypass ES" doesn't mean you can skip out on ES.

"
raics wrote:
Shav and Lorica are there for the same thing, to enable low life builds, you can't really build a functional LL without them these days although it was possible once. Astramentis is a perfect example of a stat stick unique, I don't think we got a better example. Chayula is a type of build enabler, it doesn't flip the on/off switch but spares it from doing something impractical that could compromise its functionality.

Astramentis is both stat stick and enabler. Look at Mjolner. It's one of the easiest ways to equip it. Is it best? No. Not the point.

"
raics wrote:
Think harder.

Tabula Rasa? Skips all but sockets.

Lori's Broken Lantern? Only usable by low-life.

Maligaro's gloves? Only for crit.

Doryani's Catalyst? Only good for builds that need high ele damage. This is about as close as you'll get.

Thief's Torment? Skipping 200 life or 40% ES is huge. Curse effect can be avoided with flasks.

"
raics wrote:
Obviously, it's impossible to quantificate 'chaos does not bypass ES' with points, it doesn't exist on passive tree. For reference, I'm putting 'cannot be stunned' at 20 points, but it has -20% life which is 4 points less and has no other stats to speak of, a well balanced item overall. However, 'mind over matter' is good for at least 15 points on average, however it also has properties that heavily synergize with the keystone so it's on the strong side, I'd nerf it some more personally.

Even with the changes to EB? Everyone I've read said they aren't even considering MoM anymore. It's simply not viable.

"
raics wrote:
It's important to note the difference between Belly and Chayula or CoD even though it's possible to put a point cost on either. The belly enables you to not do something your archetype would normally do, which is stack life nodes and Chayula enables you to skip on something you wouldn't normally do, which is visit Mara area as an ES caster. In real life terms, Belly enables you to slack off on your normal workload, and Chayula spares you the overtime.

It's not quite that different. ES users either have to use EoC, get into the Mara area, or find another way to deal with stun. It's part of their "normal workload".

They're doing the same thing, essentially.

Edit: I try to keep things as short as possible. I just see it as a waste of everyone's time, especially my own. Hence why you tell me to take a "breather". I say what I must, no more, no less.
Last edited by Natharias on May 21, 2015, 4:11:07 PM
"
goetzjam wrote:

These were hit too hard that patch and should be buffed IMO:

Facebreaker

Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. First off, you put 1c item, facebreaker in the list of T1 uniques?! And then apparently, you have no clue that because of the indirect buffs that facebreakers received over the past year (passive tree and TGoW, cwdt-IC-abyssus combo), they outperform perfect 1h RT weapons wihtout using abyssus and if you push it further with using abysuss they even beat perfect 2hers.

Either the rarity of Fbers should change to T1 or if it remains as common as it is right now, it needs to be nerfed hard.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1259533

No reason to throw some random "cool" unqiues in your list if you have no evidence that they need to be buffed.

It's the number one unique in my list that need to be balanced and possibly nerfed imo. Next is belly.
Last edited by Mephisto_n on May 21, 2015, 4:35:39 PM
"
Natharias wrote:
What someone chooses to believe isn't fact. The fact is that BotB saves on passives, and that means you can do other things with those points. It's enabling.

Getting 100 more flat life doesn't mean you can just skip out on %life. Flat life doesn't convert to %life.

Getting "chaos damage doesn't bypass ES" doesn't mean you can skip out on ES.

Unfortunately, what GGG says is fact even when they aren't right, it's their game, they are dungeon masters here. Every single build in the game can be played without Astramentis but you can't play low life without Shav/Lorica and you can't play unarmed without Facebreakers. Try it yourself and see firsthand what a build enabler is.

"
Natharias wrote:
Tabula Rasa? Skips all but sockets.

Lori's Broken Lantern? Only usable by low-life.

Maligaro's gloves? Only for crit.

Doryani's Catalyst? Only good for builds that need high ele damage. This is about as close as you'll get.

Thief's Torment? Skipping 200 life or 40% ES is huge. Curse effect can be avoided with flasks.

Hmm, I misunderstood what you were after here, I see you're having trouble with BiS concept too. An item that's best in slot for every single build can't exist in PoE, even if it's in a ring slot which has the most flexibility and offers 1000 life, 1000 ES and 100 resist all which is covering every build out there, cullers would still skip it for an extra Andvarius. It's impossible.

"
Natharias wrote:
Even with the changes to EB? Everyone I've read said they aren't even considering MoM anymore. It's simply not viable.

MoM without EB is perfectly possible, you just can't slap it on any EB caster as an afterthought anymore and expect it to work. It's a powerful defense so it should require serious investment.

"
Natharias wrote:
It's not quite that different. ES users either have to use EoC, get into the Mara area, or find another way to deal with stun. It's part of their "normal workload".

Sure it's different, life is plentiful in attacker area of the tree and interspersed with other nodes you need, you aren't going out of your way. Stun avoidance/ignore nodes are also readily available to casters among other things they need, even those at ranger start, you can reroute your build to pick them. Unwavering stance and MoM, however, are in a part of the tree that has nothing to do with you.

Strange, I though you'd be somewhat impressed with the real life example Eh, can't get them all, I suppose.

Last edited by raics on May 21, 2015, 5:11:47 PM
"
raics wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

MoM without EB is perfectly possible, you just can't slap it on any EB caster as an afterthought anymore and expect it to work. It's a powerful defense so it should require serious investment.

I'm so tired of reading this. MoM is not a powerful defense. Try this out, for example - approaching this as if you're a caster. List out all the defenses you can get in this game on a piece of paper (armour, evasion, block, spell block, acro/phase acro etc etc).

Ignore ES - because it's a life pool, not a mitigation. Also ignore any potential synergies and penalties (i.e. presume you don't need MoM for AA, and that acro/phase acro don't nerf block or ES).

Now, pick your best 3 of the list. The 3 defenses that, in an ideal world, would be freely available to use and you'd take to make an awesome caster.

I guarantee MoM won't be in it, unless you've made an assumption about needing EB and mana to cast spells.
Just to illustrate, it wouldn't be an easy choice but personally I'd take arctic armour, block and spell block (again, this presumes that I don't necessarily need EB to sustain mana therefore wouldn't get MoM automatically by way of a Cloak).

Such a setup would mitigate damage that gets through but block a substantial amount and I'd be able to invest entirely in a single life pool as either CI or life-based caster (with associated loverly regen).
GGG said they want the best Rares to be better overall than Uniques.

I think that says enough about what to buff/nerf.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
"

I see it in A3M town all the time. Maybe just the skin, but I doubt people would skin such a weapon all the time.

It's fine. A good rare should deal far more damage than it. The only reason you should use it is if you don't have any other option. It's still a very good option for CI builds. Life always has BM.

It is a common skin item, probably the best 1 handed axe. If you see people in standard using the item they probably are using the legacy one as the new one is pretty dumpster.

"
"
goetzjam wrote:
The 2 hardest nerfs GGG has ever done was Kaoms heart and soul taker...

Uh, no.

"
First and foremost, the worst nerf they ever did was killing block.

Well we are talking about unqiue items, not keystones or playstyles, even so the worst nerf GGG has done overall will be casters in 2.0, but this is a thread discussion unqiues not keystones so when I made that statement it had to do with unqiues not nodes in tree.

"
There was absolutely no fucking reason for them to do so. Everyone used it for the following reasons:

No reason to do it, but you list multiple reasons why. Do you understand you aren't helping your case?

"
Both above methods are inefficent, and simply not worth it under any circumstances.

Bullshit, you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. If you build specifically for max block and get corruptions max block can be just as effective, you mentioned yourself why max block was insane, especially for the cost, now you have to significantly invest into block and lose a lot of damage if you are not melee.

"
What should've GGG done?

Nerf the fuck out of block, which they did. Make it not stack with acro\phase, which they did. I've already addressed block in the past few pages, feel free to read that.

"
2. Introduce more uniques that affect block. The current ones are far too specific and don't work well together.

Dude unqiues that provide block or convert block were the whole reason why it was too strong.

"
But that's a lot of work. GGG just took the easy way out, the nerfbat. It's all they ever do and ever will do.

Feel free to find another game. Blizzard has removed one with everything from monks, hell they removed the most fun passive in the game from wizards "critical mass" Game companies nerf things to balance rather then buffing other options or adjusting it in some other way, people are mad no matter how something gets changed, either its power creep or overnerf, GGG can't make everyone happy, so they make themselves happy.

"
As for another, I'd say Viper Strike was the second worst hit. I actually used it when it did flat damage per level. Now I can't, cause ANY other attack will deal twice the damage.

I personally don't understand the change, I don't know if it was changed in beta yet.

"
Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. First off, you put 1c item, facebreaker in the list of T1 uniques?!

Did I ever say it specifically was a T1 unqiue, no I was listing it with unqiues that were hit extremely hard just because of its popularity, if you are going to call someone out perhaps you need to fucking read the post instead of assuming someone is talking about something in a different context.

Yes they've buffed it over time, but thats over a very slow time, that being said forcing people to use a specific shield isn't my idea of a good "buff" for a unqiue. In terms of raw % nerf it was extremely high.

Read what Raics said about facebreakers and my reply to that.

"
I am sick and tired of people reading part of the sentence and taking it out of context, if you aren't going to read the whole fucking thing don't bother quoting me.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
davidnn5 wrote:
List out all the defenses you can get in this game on a piece of paper (armour, evasion, block, spell block, acro/phase acro etc etc).

Now, pick your best 3 of the list. The 3 defenses that, in an ideal world, would be freely available to use and you'd take to make an awesome caster.

Ah, we've hit a snag there, each of those defenses offers a certain amount of power for a certain investment. For instance, block/spellblock can be stronger than acro/phase but needs more investment to get the same numbers. If they were all free we probably know which three each of us would pick, but it's not so simple now.

Keep in mind there is only one other defense in the game that is able to mitigate all types of damage (thus preventing oneshots) and that's fortify, which is unavailable to casters without breaking their gameflow.

Last edited by raics on May 22, 2015, 3:27:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info