Is it happening again? Tin foil hat time!

It sucks that people lost valuable items but its their policy that they wont restore which what has been lost.

If you allow it once then everytime something like this happens people will expect it GGG to restore their items or characters again.

Its the same with people dying in HC leagues to desync or bugged monsters and coming to the forums demanding a character restoration, it wont happen, just move on.
Closed Beta Member.
"
ogorhan wrote:
It sucks that people lost valuable items but its their policy that they wont restore which what has been lost.

If you allow it once then everytime something like this happens people will expect it GGG to restore their items or characters again.

Its the same with people dying in HC leagues to desync or bugged monsters and coming to the forums demanding a character restoration, it wont happen, just move on.

Actually it's not. Desynch is frequently anticipated and people play softcore for long term stability so that they don't have to deal with the nonsense of it. When items that take years to acquire suddenly go up in smoke, it really doesn't help with consumer confidence. Why would you waste hundreds, even thousands, of hours playing a game that's only purpose revolves around acquiring gear when that gear will suddenly go up in smoke?
Still in the alpha stage, but at least build diversity isn't an issue: https://wolcengame.com/home/
"
JNF wrote:
Why would you waste hundreds, even thousands, of hours playing a game that's only purpose revolves around acquiring gear when that gear will suddenly go up in smoke?

This may be a shocking idea for some people here, but you could always try playing the game for...fun.

And it's not like this sort of thing happens all the time. It's happened what? Maybe once or twice before in the entire history of the game? And even then, probably only a tiny percentage of players were directly affected.
PLaying HC and this are not even remotely comparable. Everyone knows risks playing HC. Besides you dont lose all your shit anyway.
Git R Dun!
"
Hodari wrote:
"
JNF wrote:
Why would you waste hundreds, even thousands, of hours playing a game that's only purpose revolves around acquiring gear when that gear will suddenly go up in smoke?

This may be a shocking idea for some people here, but you could always try playing the game for...fun.

And it's not like this sort of thing happens all the time. It's happened what? Maybe once or twice before in the entire history of the game? And even then, probably only a tiny percentage of players were directly affected.

It is not possible to have fun when every action comes with the uncontrollable risk of being desynced, one shotted, and losing everything.

I have been going through all my stockpiled ~150 atziri sets and I have died from being desynced back onto her vaal flameblast at least 5 times after lightning warping out of it.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
Had at least 3 mirrors disapear in 1 month race.. Its getting ridiculous! What if i lose my 6l disfavour ...
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
"
Hodari wrote:
"
JNF wrote:

This may be a shocking idea for some people...maybe some people have fun in different ways from one another? Perhaps some people's idea of fun is acquiring very precious, rare equipment over the course of weeks and months and they wouldn't want to lose it no matter what, because the fun would suddenly vanish? *Poof* There goes your fun.

And to answer your question about why you would play a game for so long to acquire mirrored gear or tier 1 uniques: They're build enabling and perhaps you like to play more than one character? I have several level 80+ characters and a few of those are fairly well geared.
Still in the alpha stage, but at least build diversity isn't an issue: https://wolcengame.com/home/
Last edited by JNF on May 13, 2015, 4:11:06 AM
"
Hodari wrote:

This may come to a shock to you, but the gear is what makes the game fun for a lot of people. You know, loot? Good items? The carrot you've been chasing?

IF GGG can restore items lost due to code issues, there is NO excuse for not doing so. If this happens to me? Well, I play self found. I may grind for a year to get a certain items. Hundreds of hours spent. And then the item just disappear, and GGG "can't do anything"? Well, excuse me for being a bit sceptical to a statement like that.

Please, anyone, tell me what happened when the Carrion Queens did A LOT more damage than they should? Why is that different from this?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:

Please, anyone, tell me what happened when the Carrion Queens did A LOT more damage than they should? Why is that different from this?

On a purely technical level, I would assume it's easier to move a complete character back from Standard to Hardcore League than restoring individual messed up/deleted items. Implication-wise, well, it was something nobody @GGG was really happy about since they were fully aware of creating a precedence. It's definately not something they'll do again more lightheartedly now that it had happened once.

Generally though: If there's evidence that it was impossible for the player to trade or delete the item themselves, e.g. with an mtx attached then there should be a better way of dealing with this than "nope, sorry". I mean, I'm not a programmer and might miss something obvious but I really can't see any dangers of intentional duping or other exploits here.

Edit: maybe it's a good opportunity to (re-)work (on) some soft delete/backup systems. Stuff like soft deletes for characters has been vaguely promised for ages, there have been quite a lot of suggestions about buy-back options at vendors and characters and items not going *poof* could be useful on GGG's side at some point, too.
Last edited by Alysma on May 13, 2015, 5:35:51 AM
"
Alysma wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:

On a purely technical level, I would assume it's easier to move a complete character back from Standard to Hardcore League than restoring individual messed up/deleted items. Implication-wise, well, it was something nobody @GGG was really happy about since they were fully aware of creating a precedence. It's definately not something they'll do again more lightheartedly now that it had happened once.

You are correct as far as I know. Creating specific items with specific rolls and links and colours is not easy for ggg. They can fairly easily copy characters and their items from one realm to another but the actualy spawning of an item is not a simple copy paste
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
Last edited by andkamen on May 13, 2015, 7:20:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info