I cried a little...

"
Zguza_Do_Suz4 wrote:
I realy hope they fix desync....but u know....if u keep telling ppl one thing all over again they will eventualy start to belive it

Too bad Charan is in Japan, he wold probably give us some informations about it (he play beta) xD

The changes aren't live on the beta yet. There's not much to tell, other than what has been mentioned in this thread already. There have been some preliminary improvements to the existing predictive code based on the research and debugging they've already done while trying to implement deterministic lockstep.

They expect to have lockstep available within three weeks or so on the beta. Once we have it, there will be an abundance of feedback from popular and experienced players and streamers, to be sure.

A few of them have already made comments about the existing improvements. One of them in particular was very opposed to the new forced synchronization that happens periodically (more so than it used to) because you can't manually /oos within the same cooldown of an automatic sync as a manual /oos.

It's also visually jarring to some, because items and corpses "snap" into their actual location. Instead of the player helplessly rubberbanding, everything else ends up where it actually is after a resync.

One of the advantages of the deterministic lockstep feature will be the ability to set thresholds of when it is used and when it is not. You will have some modicum of control over how much lag to tolerate before switching back to predictive mode. It's also character-based even when in a party, so other players being lockstep while you are predictive or vice-versa will not adversely affect one another (even on differing gateways).

They really are serious about trying to fix this. A lot of the changes in beta are improvements to, or entirely new, melee skills. They are reliant on some of these sync issues being less prevalent. There's a reason why no one who seriously races in the current live game plays with certain skills. They're recipes for disaster. GGG wants that to not be the case. The skills should be decided on their merit in a build, not because they're "macro /oos or fail".
The predictive code is already significantly better. On beta I have made the first character in a long time that doesn't have stun immunity and I've had no major desync events.

As for deterministic lockstep it isn't really a "fix" for desync. It is more the alternative where the client will perfectly reflect the server's state, but that's because it is more or less waiting instead of predicting. So high latency people will feel the input lag.

Mostly MOBAs and RTS games use lockstep so it isn't something new.
in my experience on beta, desync has been significantly worse. ive heard a few other people say the same.

i know locksep is not in place, but whatever adjustments they made to the predictive mode has been worse for me.
"
Hackusations wrote:

As for deterministic lockstep it isn't really a "fix" for desync. It is more the alternative where the client will perfectly reflect the server's state, but that's because it is more or less waiting instead of predicting. So high latency people will feel the input lag.

That is why it will have user-definable thresholds. Some of us typically have great connections (not necessarily speaking of the "pipe" itself) most of the time with spikes here and there. This will give those people the option to effectively turn off predictive mode when latency is consistently low, and deal with the occasional spike of actual lag that may occur.

People with connections that are consistently high-latency or volatile can set hybrid thresholds or leave predictive mode on all the time, and the optimizations to predictive mode, once they are finished, should still help immensely.
"
Zguza_Do_Suz4 wrote:
I realy hope they fix desync....but u know....if u keep telling ppl one thing all over again they will eventualy start to belive it

Too bad Charan is in Japan, he wold probably give us some informations about it (he play beta) xD

It is not a "hope". The system already exists in many games. Desync will be gone. Still not in the beta though..
Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.

Aristotle
"
Seeders wrote:
in my experience on beta, desync has been significantly worse. ive heard a few other people say the same.

i know locksep is not in place, but whatever adjustments they made to the predictive mode has been worse for me.

I think the changes with the improvement of predictive mode will come with the lockstep -- next week.
"
Seeders wrote:

Same here, playing cyclone. But maybe it's cyclone fault, cause in CB it gets noticeably "stuck" in monsters.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
I haven't played the beta much, but I had a noticeable desync moment, though. I aggro'd a shit ton of mobs in the Southern Forest. I started running around and was taking damage, which was stranger since I had ran away from them. Typed in /oos and found myself surrounded by monkeys.

It does feel better though. Haven't had too many desync'd rhoas so far.
You make my ochinchin go doki doki.

"
Llwellyn wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

Good thing we have EU servers then :P

We don't.

We do have multiple gateways, though. American and EU (and Southeast Asia, I believe). The servers are still in New Zealand, but you have the option of manually selecting your gateway to minimize your local ping.

"In this house, we obey the laws of physics!" - the speed of light is still the physical limit at which the data is going to be transferred; if you are in the US or EU, there is always going to be a minimum round-trip when going that far.

That's why the optimized gateways are important - so you're not adding a bunch of local ping or tacking on 20 hops of crap in between on a long-distance route. For UDP, this is even more important, since you're not going to know (or care - in one sense of the word) if the packets ever get there, or arrive out of order.

That's why the optimization towards deterministic lockstep is so beneficial, even for people who won't be able to fully use it - the changes to the predictive code that have resulted from the intensive work required will benefit everyone.

i'm pretty sure they are adding servers in every region.i think they mentioned amsterdam for eu
Would this explain the phenomena I've experienced I wonder....

I'm in New Zealand playing through the Aus gateway and ever since Aus went live my 'base' ping was 80ms - up until about the start of The Awakening beta. Since then my ping won't go below 115ms but is mostly in the 130ms region.

I've tried everything I can think of, called my ISP and hammered the heck out of speedtest.net and can't find an issue anywhere else. It's only PoE's ping that changed overnight. At first I thought it might be due to a smaller pool of available servers as some got tasked to beta play but now, reading this I wonder if this lockstep implementation has anything to do with it?

Anybody know?
~DemiDemon~

Playing almost every day since Beta version 0.9.1 in 2011.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info