I cried a little...

I can feel a difference on the live servers just going from 40 to 50ms ping.

I'm crossing my fingers regarding lockstep mode. If it holds up, i'll finally play cyclone.
There comes a time thief when jewels cease to sparkle, gold loses it's luster, throne room becomes a prison, and all that's left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
Keks22 wrote:
They improved the code/reworked and Desync now better with the new mode, and second is lockstep chris compared it with Lol, no desync on low latencys but freaking annoying above ~150. which makes plaing from europe to us really nasty duo the high ping.

Next cry wave incoming, ggg pllss1111 fiiixx da laggg

Good thing we have EU servers then :P

Not when you group with müricans via grouppanel or guild/ingame friends ;)
we'll have the option to use lockstep or the old system or using lockstep with a slider that makes it automatically change to old way when you reach a certain ping (custom set by slider).

this is the way they found to reduce the problem lockstep induces, ill probably be using that one or the old way. depending on how my net reacts to it.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on May 6, 2015, 10:49:25 AM
"
Xavderion wrote:

We don't.

We do have multiple gateways, though. American and EU (and Southeast Asia, I believe). The servers are still in New Zealand, but you have the option of manually selecting your gateway to minimize your local ping.

"In this house, we obey the laws of physics!" - the speed of light is still the physical limit at which the data is going to be transferred; if you are in the US or EU, there is always going to be a minimum round-trip when going that far.

That's why the optimized gateways are important - so you're not adding a bunch of local ping or tacking on 20 hops of crap in between on a long-distance route. For UDP, this is even more important, since you're not going to know (or care - in one sense of the word) if the packets ever get there, or arrive out of order.

That's why the optimization towards deterministic lockstep is so beneficial, even for people who won't be able to fully use it - the changes to the predictive code that have resulted from the intensive work required will benefit everyone.
"
Llwellyn wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

We don't.

We do have multiple gateways, though. American and EU (and Southeast Asia, I believe). The servers are still in New Zealand, but you have the option of manually selecting your gateway to minimize your local ping.

Gateways = servers here. If the servers were actually in New Zealand, it would be physically impossible to get the 30 ms latency I get when I connect through the EU gateway. And afaik there are actually no public servers in NZ.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
pretty sure desync is worked on but somehow in beta i seem to jump more with my char when spamming skills, instead of being stuck my char jump back and forth without even moving sometimes :P

(this happening even with ranger casters :P)
The thing is, I play solo 99% of the time! For me this system will be gold ='.'=
"
Llwellyn wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

We don't.

"In this house, we obey the laws of physics!" - the speed of light is still the physical limit at which the data is going to be transferred; if you are in the US or EU, there is always going to be a minimum round-trip when going that far.

err simply
no

It would make absolutely no sense to route the WHOLE community to nz and back.
You would not be able to play the game with +600ms reaction on us/eu side. :)
And iam playing hc and barley get lags anytime, since the EU servers seems to be located in germany or france. Pretty "near" to my location.

Of course there is a European server host who runs a datacenter and GGG rent the gameservers there, like everybody other publisher too.

Last edited by blackstar on May 6, 2015, 4:27:23 PM
"
blackstar wrote:
"
Llwellyn wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

We don't.

err simply
no

It would make absolutely no sense to route the WHOLE community to nz and back.
You would not be able to play the game with +600ms reaction on us/eu side. :)
And iam playing hc and barley get lags anytime, since the EU servers seems to be located in germany or france. Pretty "near" to my location.

Of course there is a European server host who runs a datacenter and GGG rent the gameservers there, like everybody other publisher too.

The leagues are synchronized via the gateways to the same backend. You only see the connection to your gateway of choice. That's how we can all play together, no matter what you choose. Otherwise, there would be a US-Standard, EU-Standard, AUS-Standard, SEA-Standard, etc.

There's a backhaul that connects all of those gateway hosts together, and those backhauls all have opportunity cost. They're more direct and dedicated than literal thousands of individual clients connecting directly to GGG in one remote corner of the internet, but the game as a whole does not exist in three or four separate locations. They are called gateways for a reason. You can't have a concurrent experience without a single server cluster somewhere doing that work.

Other major games actually separate by region and don't have concurrent game worlds. RIFT, WoW, EQ, EQ2, World of Tanks, etc. are all regionally locked due to their server setup. Even the "game that shall not be mentioned", Diablo 3, is regionally locked due to its server setup. The only one that comes to mind that isn't, because it was specifically designed from the very beginning not to be, is EVE Online. Path of Exile is special in that regard as well because they also designed that capability and are iterating on it as they go.

It's kind of the same thing as if you use AWS or another load-balanced and distributed CDN for your website. You have one main host in "your" datacenter that hosts the live site, and usually your staging site as well, and the others replicate from it periodically. Clients are routed to the host either closest to them or with the lowest response time (or in some cases, lowest load). It's just not realtime, as would be needed in the case of gaming via UDP.

If you can find a reddit or forum post that authoritatively proves me wrong, please provide it, so that I can read it thoroughly and correct myself.
I realy hope they fix desync....but u know....if u keep telling ppl one thing all over again they will eventualy start to belive it

Too bad Charan is in Japan, he wold probably give us some informations about it (he play beta) xD
IGN: Puskurcina

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info