Genuine Golem Feedback

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Rapidly Melting Ice Sculpture
Active gem
Grants 20% increases to Crit Chance and Accuracy
Base duration 2.5 seconds
Mandatory (cannot be stored in inventory, automatically occupies a socket on pickup)

You forgot the 6 second cooldown!
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
Wooser69 wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Rapidly Melting Ice Sculpture
Active gem
Grants 20% increases to Crit Chance and Accuracy
Base duration 2.5 seconds
Mandatory (cannot be stored in inventory, automatically occupies a socket on pickup)
You forgot the 6 second cooldown!
Good catch. I guess that just makes it... even more mandatory.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
As some have already mentioned:

When you hit the "sweet clearing spot" with your build and you can do maps rather fast I personally can imagine myself to simply not bother to resummon my golem constantly - at least as a caster. Despite the bonuses they give: "If" I had to resummon him every 3-4 packs that is too much time wasted for me on maps below 72.

I'm on the fence with this on the chaos golem tho. I take every point of damage reduction I can get against leaping goats and frogs etc. in maps - so there's that.
Last edited by Segaia on Apr 24, 2015, 2:53:49 AM
I hope they will balance golems so that they will be viable on maps without putting it in a 4 link without having to recast it after every pack. They can be a great addition to the game (though I would have preferred some kind of merc/follower with more customization) it all depends on how they balance it.
After watching many streamers for a day after making this post. I can say with ease that most streamers seem to be going for the Chaos Golem for it's Damage reduction, and the golem just doesn't die out - it actually stays alive quite well even in maps compared to other golems and if you're playing HC, you basically want to keep this up at all times.

This is still early in to the beta, most likely to change but it support's quite well my original concern about the golems, which is almost a roleplay issue. I don't like how as a 2-hander I'll have to keep a summon up to increase my defense or offence. Summoning skills should be pointed towards summoners. Naturally a summoner like any other build wants to stay alive by any means available so the Chaos Golem is the way to go ( since the auras you get from the other 2 do not effect your other minions ) , and you'll also get the + life/dmg for the golem from your talents but every other golem is an entirely other decision to make, and it comes down to the sockets available in your gear ( can you set it up? ) While you have 3x4 and possibly 2x6 sockets available.

With Fortify+Increased minion life your Golem won't just die all the time.

TLDR: Mercs such as golems should not be forced into every build like CWDT was. And it's visual and imo very annoying.

Edit: Spelling
Edit 2: ZiggyD's Impression about the golems cover pretty much my ideas about the golems and it's what I see as a problem as well. Link to the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIVdalxZnAs
Last edited by Thejunior on Apr 24, 2015, 10:48:46 AM
I agree, there is indeed a problem and some rework is warranted for golems
You say it doesn't die, even in maps. But then go on to say that it needs to be supported by a 3L. Good. Working as intended. If you need to use up an entire item slot for a golem, then you made on hell of a choice for a relatively small boost.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
You say it doesn't die, even in maps. But then go on to say that it needs to be supported by a 3L. Good. Working as intended. If you need to use up an entire item slot for a golem, then you made on hell of a choice for a relatively small boost.

^this it clearly represents a choice.

However slayer, going from your post. Is there a choice from a summoners perspective?

I only see the chaos golem being relevant in this case, but i might be missing something.

Would it not be better to even force a design choice on what golem to pick on summoners?

I could totally see the fire golem giving "10% increased duration of minions" for example.

And the ice variant giving like "5% movement speed to minions"

etc etc.

Minor stuff to boost summoner part and actually provoke some thought on what golem to utilize in what build. Now it just appears clear cut "lets take the chaos dude, he's the only one i benefit from".

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Thejunior wrote:
This is still early in to the beta, most likely to change but it support's quite well my original concern about the golems, which is almost a roleplay issue. I don't like how as a 2-hander I'll have to keep a summon up to increase my defense or offence. Summoning skills should be pointed towards summoners.

The thing is that... you don't HAVE to keep a golem, it's mostly a bonus. A bonus who cost a 3/4L to survive. I don't see any problem with that : you sacrifice your sockets for it.

Also summoners already are the ones who will get the most out of it because they already spec into minions nodes/gear. But it doesn't mean that as a summoner you NEED it absolutely, in fact you can pretty much don't use it and stay with zombies/spectres.

Get in your head that :
-the golems are new skills, which means that of course you will see everyone in the beta use them even if they don't spec on them, novelty effect
-they were originally not meant exclusively for summoners (who already have a nice selection of summons with spectres and will have even more with the monsters of act4)
"
Boem wrote:
However slayer, going from your post. Is there a choice from a summoners perspective?

I only see the chaos golem being relevant in this case, but i might be missing something.

That's quite true. Chaos Golem will certainly be getting the most use afaict, with Fire a distant second and Ice a non-existent third.

Socket pressure on the standard zombie/spectre summoner will make CG a pretty tight fit. I don't think most will have the free sockets to give up to make CG worthwhile.

For SRS, MA/BA, and/or Animate, CG should be an easy and obvious fit.

Hybrid summoners aren't exactly top shelf, even if the golems exist almost perfectly for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see a viable hybrid caster/summoner making use of Fire Golem, but I don't think that's enough to make it really competitive with other summoner varieties.

Dominating Blow is an interesting case. Any of Fire/Ice/Chaos will be quite strong for a Dom Blow character and they usually have the sockets free to allow for it.
Last edited by pneuma on Apr 24, 2015, 12:54:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info