Genuine Golem Feedback

How I feel about the golems is very mixed, they give nice stat buffs and are an interesting addition to the summoning skills. But that's the point. It's a Summoning skill after all.

I don't like how it will now become mandatory to have a Golem run by you with every single build you had, just like with CWDT ( but that wasn't very visible ). If i play a summoner I like to go all in, i like to have many mobs running around doing my bidding. But if i play a 2-handed killing machine I don't like the Golem running beside me.

Does anyone share my concern / feelings about the golems? The buff-aura it gives is too great to miss so now you'll simply have to have a golem with you for the aura.

How i'd suggest the golems to be changed is NOT to change them at all but give an alternative way to gain equal or ( equal is not the right word ) but an increase in power that didn't require you to have someone running with you at all times.

Edit: After thinking about this for a day and watching streams. My Idea remains and the followup is on page 4
Last edited by Thejunior on Apr 24, 2015, 10:50:08 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
If you dont want to have a golem dont use one. They arent game breakingly good and im pretty sure that if you dont spec too much into minion passives, they will die way too easily in higher maps.
In no way they are a must, like cwdt combo used to be...

Also, this is not a genuine golem feedback, no matter how you cut it.
i do share the exact same sentiment

it is a mana-free aura that has no drawback (and costs one socket - unset ring or wasted 6th socket in 5l6s

there is ALSO no cost to summoning different golem depending on a situation. just like with auras.

since heralds introduction party buffs went down - as people used at least one herald - now the party buff is again present.

i do not know how to 'fix' it as the golem idea is cool etc but at the same time the 'mandatory, no cost, beneficial' character of current golem implementation reeks cheapness :/

and while they do deal damage - i do not care. linking them is not needed. the 'utility' bonus they provide is all i need. probably the utlity bonus is simply too strong..
"
S3ph1r0th wrote:
If you dont want to have a golem dont use one. They arent game breakingly good and im pretty sure that if you dont spec too much into minion passives, they will die way too easily in higher maps.
In no way they are a must, like cwdt combo used to be...

You don't think 20% increased critical strike chance & increased Accuracy for 0 mana reserved and can be summoned at any time is not required for every crit build? ok.
"
Thejunior wrote:
"
S3ph1r0th wrote:
In no way they are what cwdt combo used to be...

You don't think 20% increased critical strike chance & increased Accuracy for 0 mana reserved and can be summoned at any time is not required for every crit build? ok.

No i dont.bAnd i have taken several crit builds to endgame.
The only usefull thing is the 20% accu. 20% crit is nothing. And i prefer to spent 2 passives for the accu instead of having to cast ice golem every frickin second(dont expect it to last long on a 1 slot in merciless).
If you sacrifice 4 slots to make it tankier then you already sacrificed smn there (4 slots) so there is a drawback.
4 slots or 2 passives? I prefer the latter.

Edit: it doesnt have to be drawback in the way of reserved mana as you can see. Gem slots are also a mean of balance.
Last edited by S3ph1r0th on Apr 23, 2015, 11:24:09 AM
Ice Golem seems to survive just fine in Merciless. It's quite agile but you can just summon it every time, like applying a curse to a mob - if you want to look at it by gem-slot-balance as you say. Treat it like a curse and then np aye?

No, It's not as weak as you make it out to be. And I still find the buff to be a valuable increase to your build making it, mandatory to have.

EDIT: Mandatory is a strong word, but an increase is always an increase, it's not as weak as you make it out to be, and it doesn't reserve any mana. You can always choose to play with less power but why would you? You wouldn't. So there should be an alternative way to gain that. Naturally the Golem gets weaker when the difficulty increases if you don't put points into summoning skills. But it's not as weak as you make it out to be. You can watch streamers and see that everyone uses the golems and they just don't die every single pull. IF you clear fast they don't die at all. I see a problem there.
Last edited by Thejunior on Apr 23, 2015, 11:36:18 AM
Was anybody concerned about how "mandatory" mercs were in D2?

Imo the solution is to continue to introduce more mercenary style companions that compete for the same single summoning slot. E.g., a rotation of homonculi that aren't golems, but are exclusive to them (either one or the other), then a rotation of another kind--animals, actual people, a shadow of yourself, etc..
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Apr 23, 2015, 11:40:25 AM
"
Thejunior wrote:
Ice Golem seems to survive just fine in Merciless quite agile but you can just summon it every time, like applying a curse to a mob - if you want to look at it by gem-slot-balance as you say. Treat it like a curse and then np aye?

No, It's not as weak as you make it out to be. And I still find the buff to be a valuable increase to your build making it, mandatory to have.

Im sure it wont last long in merciless maps unsupported. We shall wait and see.
Every kind of buff is nice to have, do you find every buff in the game mandatory?Do you keep one frenzy gem unsuported and spam a few attacks here and there to maintain charges? It is a free buff after all.
No, you build around some of them and decide what to use. Should ggg change them because your OCD tells them to?

Also, applying a curse and summoning a golem already requires two actions/time. Instead of casting them, you could be attacking and thus doubling/tripling your damage. Thats why they have curse on autocasting, so it doesnt take time off of your dps.

I dont know what kind of maps you run but there is no way that golem will stay alive (especially unsuported) in 90+ rolled maps.
Last edited by S3ph1r0th on Apr 23, 2015, 11:41:00 AM
I actually did think this initially, but they do start dying a little faster. Not sure if it's fast enough that it's a bother, but you will be wasting time constantly summoning them in maps. This is with him being constantly leveled.

In maps, he started to die so frequently, that at times when you actually want him, he's not worth summoning.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
I actually did think this initially, but they do start dying a little faster. Not sure if it's fast enough that it's a bother, but you will be wasting time constantly summoning them in maps. This is with him being constantly leveled.

In maps, he started to die so frequently, that at times when you actually want him, he's not worth summoning.

My point exactly.
I was sure this would be the case without having played the beta.
And not because im a genious or anything but because it makes sense to work that way.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info