Community News: New Forum Management

"
Charan wrote:

Every time I try to take part in reddit I am bombarded with such a cavalcade of hatred it leaves me utterly stunned. I've been called things there that would get a person almost instantly banned from here and pretty much any other forum I've used, so I've no clue what you mean when you say 'better moderated'. In lieu of 'childish whiners and crying babies', the poe subreddit is infested with sharks and jackals.

it's a personnal issue, you can't draw any conclusion based on this.
IGN TylordRampage
I think it would be nice if there was a discussion between forum moderation and other staff members to see why some of them prefer to go on Reddit rather than here, and to see what could be made to make them prefer going here rather than on Reddit.
Not that there's anything wrong with a staff member liking to spend free time on Reddit.
Bex may be CM by title. But we know who does all the dirty work!
moderating a forum where everybody can post after stating an email address is like trying to keep flees on a rope: impossible.

yet you managed pretty good so far.

forum moderators maintaining posts to guarantee they meet a certain level of impertinence is certainly needed but i'm also sure that incentives work way better: make a certain subset of players (whos interest is in the health of the game and not their own) able to spend points on quality posts and show it somehow.

for example you could put out some ggg point rewards for players giving quality feedback (pls except alpha players).
Spoiler
if you decide to reward players, please make it their decisions if they want it to be publicly announced. otherwise you frighten off the altruists among them ;)
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Apr 23, 2015, 7:28:13 AM
"
Malone wrote:
"
Charan wrote:

Every time I try to take part in reddit I am bombarded with such a cavalcade of hatred it leaves me utterly stunned. I've been called things there that would get a person almost instantly banned from here and pretty much any other forum I've used, so I've no clue what you mean when you say 'better moderated'. In lieu of 'childish whiners and crying babies', the poe subreddit is infested with sharks and jackals.

it's a personnal issue, you can't draw any conclusion based on this.

response to the above, off-topic
So it doesn't happen to anyone else? Everyone else just loves the poE reddit? Somehow I doubt that.

Mind you, I behave there the same as I do here, if not even more politely, which can only lead me to conclude I don't get dogpiled and called vile things here because the moderation won't permit it.

Failing to see how this reinforces your argument that the moderation on reddit is better. Last I checked, a very respected member of the community stepped down from moderating there because he was tired of the witchhunts and the victimisation.

Witch-hunt, according to M-W: "the act of unfairly looking for and punishing people who are accused of having opinions that are believed to be dangerous or evil".

Or, dictionary.com: "an intensive effort to discover and expose disloyalty, subversion, dishonesty, or the like, usually based on slight, doubtful, or irrelevant evidence."

Emphasis mine.

Just in case anyone gets an idea that a certain recent event was a witch-hunt.

Anything that makes this forum more attractive for the devs to use regularly has my vote.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Charan wrote:

Anything that makes this forum more attractive for the devs to use regularly has my vote.

All conjecture but, no amount of caveats seems to appease the officialness (yeah, that's somewhat like "truthiness") of a GGG post here. First thought goes to the "These are not Act 4 patch notes" that were referred to as patch notes. If posts by devs could be given the leniency of being off the cuff or quick 'less than final' or 'less than official' type statements, I do believe that would help tremendously.

The problem? That's a change in the community -- not the technical forum mechanics or forum policy.

The unfix-able: cultural shift when there is no real penalty for negative actions of forum community. Every garden needs weeding, but what do you do when you can't pull out the roots? (Root cause: free accounts w/ ability to post immediately)
Last edited by Nubatron on Apr 23, 2015, 7:35:55 AM
"
Charan wrote:

Every time I try to take part in reddit I am bombarded with such a cavalcade of hatred it leaves me utterly stunned.

as far as i've read, reddit guys are just jealous of you having a strong opinion of certain game aspects, your good personal connections to the devs and chris and your talent to combine these two to realize your ideas.

i personally see no problem therein because i know your good relation to chris is more of a personal nature rather than a investor/producer thing but others don't know.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
...cheers, geradon. Seriously.

___

Nubatron: did you like how Chris put that in bold and red? Next time he should consider an animated gif, flashing obnoxiously.

But you're right, and I've said something similar elsewhere on this forum: at some point, everything a dev said here became gospel and he or she could be held accountable for it as though it were set in stone. I want to say it was around the time of Open Beta but I can't rightfully remember. I do recall that during Closed Beta (ironically when Chris was in charge of the PoE reddit), the devs were a lot more candid and personable here.

I sorely and deeply miss that, because I'm just not welcome where they are currently candid and personable.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Charan wrote:
...cheers, geradon. Seriously.

___

Nubatron: did you like how Chris put that in bold and red? Next time he should consider an animated gif, flashing obnoxiously.

But you're right, and I've said something similar elsewhere on this forum: at some point, everything a dev said here became gospel and he or she could be held accountable for it as though it were set in stone. I want to say it was around the time of Open Beta but I can't rightfully remember. I do recall that during Closed Beta (ironically when Chris was in charge of the PoE reddit), the devs were a lot more candid and personable here.

I sorely and deeply miss that, because I'm just not welcome where they are currently candid and personable.

Closed Beta had real penalty for acting like an ass since someone could be tossed out and getting back in was not free; if I understand correctly. Acting like an ass would include: misinformation/disinformation, contextual tricks, constantly testing the water of kosher, etc.

Sounding a drum to an empty war band though, and this is something that would be figuratively fatal to POE/GGG to backtrack on. P2P has benefits and this is one of them IMO. Oh well.

Common sense policy should be enough BUT, the problem with common sense is that it's not very common :)
anything they say anywhere is taken as gospel, except what happens is someone copy/pastes it here from reddit and everyones like "well why the fuck am I finding about about what a dev is posting about the game second hand copy/pasta from another website when Im on the official forums every day?" and that not only is taken as gospel because its a dev saying it but it also just pisses people off majorly.
Last edited by Snorkle_uk on Apr 23, 2015, 8:04:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info