Projectiles can't shotgun?

This isn't really nerfing, ya know, it's just finally removing something that has no place in the game for a very long time now. Any change your char may experience is just collateral that devs will attempt to cushion as much as possible. You can't really ask for more than that.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
This isn't really nerfing, ya know, it's just finally removing something that has no place in the game for a very long time now. Any change your char may experience is just collateral that devs will attempt to cushion as much as possible. You can't really ask for more than that.

Shotgunning shouldn't be in the game? That's a load of crap and you know it.

The only reason to use Fireball now is to use Conc Effect, Chance to Ignite, and Ele Prolif. There's no reason to go for raw damage and LMP/GMP. None.

I've been advocating single hit proliferation spells over shotgunning ones because almost none of them are worth shotgunning with. Freezing Pulse is the only really good example, but that'll die after this change.
"
The only reason to use Fireball now is to use Conc Effect, Chance to Ignite, and Ele Prolif. There's no reason to go for raw damage and LMP/GMP. None.

I tried Fireball - Elemental Prolif - Concentrated AoE - Fire Penetration during Bloodlines. Damage is simply not high enough for Prolif to be good. Fireball + LMP variant is just better.

That said, with the new changes, it is still better for you to use Fire - LMP - Fire Pen - Echo. Fireball can still indirectly shotgun. But now LMP isn't a must have.

Also burn/prolif is also changing, so don't bet on that either.
"
Starxsword wrote:
I tried Fireball - Elemental Prolif - Concentrated AoE - Fire Penetration during Bloodlines. Damage is simply not high enough for Prolif to be good.

Yeah, that's because fireball apparently has a bug, ignite it produces doesn't have AoE property like it should, conc effect applied only to initial damage instead of to both initial damage and ignite. That bug is what makes it vastly inferior to Flambeblast and Fire Trap, otherwise we would have a competition.

"
Natharias wrote:

As I already wrote on some thread, it's a relic from the misty beginnings of PoE when the game was harder, darker, and much more simple. Have you noticed how they tiptoe about it lately? Check out recent spell additions, any good projectile spells? How about that 'far shot' mod that got introduced just because of voidbeares on +projectile maps? It became a major nuisance, and they even said so in the news post.

Hell yeah it shouldn't exist, I gave my most solemn blessing to get rid of the damn thing a number of times and I wasn't alone in that.

Last edited by raics on Apr 20, 2015, 6:43:27 PM
"
raics wrote:
"
Starxsword wrote:
I tried Fireball - Elemental Prolif - Concentrated AoE - Fire Penetration during Bloodlines. Damage is simply not high enough for Prolif to be good.

Yeah, that's because fireball apparently has a bug, ignite it produces doesn't have AoE property like it should, conc effect applied only to initial damage instead of to both initial damage and ignite. That bug is what makes it vastly inferior to Flambeblast and Fire Trap, otherwise we would have a competition.

"
Natharias wrote:

As I already wrote on some thread, it's a relic from the misty beginnings of PoE when the game was harder, darker, and much more simple. Have you noticed how they tiptoe about it lately? Check out recent spell additions, any good projectile spells? How about that 'far shot' mod that got introduced just because of voidbeares on +projectile maps? It became a major nuisance, and they even said so in the news post.

Hell yeah it shouldn't exist, I gave my most solemn blessing to get rid of the damn thing a number of times and I wasn't alone in that.

Nuisance isn't a problem. There's a difference.

But let's look at a game without shotgunning. Why would someone prefer LMP/GMP over a single projectile that can proliferate to an entire screen? Yes, I know burn/prolif are being looked at. But the point is about coverage. How are casters going to cover anything if shotgunning is removed?

Or is this another instance of GGG's "nerfing is balance" bullshit?
"
Natharias wrote:
How are casters going to cover anything if shotgunning is removed?

So, you're saying LMP/GMP allowed you to cover more of the screen because of shotgunning? :)

"
raics wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:
How are casters going to cover anything if shotgunning is removed?

So, you're saying LMP/GMP allowed you to cover more of the screen because of shotgunning? :)

I think you're confused at what shotgunning is Natharias, shotgunning is when you stand in a bosses face and hit it with all 5 projectiles at once from 1 use.

With this change that is no more, hitting a single target with all 5 beams in one use is going to now be like hitting it with just 1...only 1 projectile from a single use can hit the same target, not 2, 3, 4, or all 5...or however many you happen to be launching out on a single use ...GMP/LMP will still be good for clearing the screen however because there will be many mobs, not just one target...and each projectile from a single use can hit a single target, it just can't hit a creature with multiple beams...basically 1 projectile per creature per use.

Basically a large nerf to single target while using LMP/GMP, aoe is still ok, not as good but ok.
Last edited by justinmm1988 on Apr 21, 2015, 5:02:47 AM
Also, you probably haven't seen new LMP/GMP gems in beta? Their damage penalty now gets reduced on level, I think LMP starts at 25% less and it gets reduced by 1% for every two levels or something, probably ending at 15% less at level 20. Still think nobody will use it?

I took a glance on Ziggy's stream and it looks like his Freeze Pulse is indeed wider and does more damage than it used to. So there's nothing to worry about, every spell affected will apparently be compensated in some way besides the LMP/GMP boost.

So yeah, effectively, close range DPS will be lower, medium range will be about the same and long range DPS will actually be higher.

Last edited by raics on Apr 21, 2015, 5:14:30 AM
"
raics wrote:
Also, you probably haven't seen new LMP/GMP gems in beta? Their damage penalty now gets reduced on level, I think LMP starts at 25% less and it gets reduced by 1% for every two levels or something, probably ending at 15% less at level 20. Still think nobody will use it?

I took a glance on Ziggy's stream and it looks like his Freeze Pulse is indeed wider and does more damage than it used to. So there's nothing to worry about, every spell affected will apparently be compensated in some way besides the LMP/GMP boost.

So yeah, single target got nerfed, but AoE when using multiprojectiles will be either about the same at medium range or better at long range.

You seen anything on the CoC gem yet? I am hoping they do something to it because of this change, and the crit/attack speed nerf they mentioned...I would think they would at least adjust that 68% chance to cast at the bare minimum to a higher %...no shot-gunning/lower crit/lower attack speed, quite a big hit, massive in fact, only thing it would be good for anymore in the supports current state after launch is trash clearing with lmp/gmp, single target would be horrible! With the exception of discharge. It would probably be just fine, probably around the same I think.

And because the heralds are now 30% mana reserved instead of 25%, won't be able to run all 3 purity's + a herald.
Last edited by justinmm1988 on Apr 21, 2015, 5:32:10 AM
"
justinmm1988 wrote:
You seen anything on the CoC gem yet?

Specifically on CoC, no. However, they mentioned revisiting attack speed and base crit on certain weapons, and both of those stats are important for CoC so it will be affected indirectly at least. I don't think it's a huge balance offender currently (no matter how much I dislike it personally), there are other ways to tone it down besides reducing proc chance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info