Recommend Me a Good Anime (Samkiud's "to Watch" List)

Original Post
I'm not otaku, I'm not so into the manga/anime world; it is not my thing, but since I saw Death Note I fell in love with craziness and intense mind blowing level that world can achieve, and since then, I'm looking for an anime that is up to that level. Basically, I'm looking for animes that contains one of the following themes:

• Existential subjects, such as soul and fate. Not necessarily religious matter.
  • Mind games and plot twists as in Death Note.

I recently watched Gantz, and I loved it. I started to watch No Game No Life today but I realized how childish it is, so I'm looking for something more mature.

Note: I get over the Draon-Ball and Pokémon age years ago, so please, don't recommend me Digimon, Knights of the Zodiac, Naruto and that shit about tournaments, fights, friendship and pink colors. This thread is not about discussing that anyway.

Thanks to everyone's recommendations I have composed a "to watch" list, according to what caught my attention and really interested me. I'll watch each anime in this order and I'll edit it according to what I've watched so far, or if I feel the need to change priorities or to add something.

Top priority
  • Boogiepop Phantom (12)
  • Karas (6)
  • Code Geass (50)
  • Flag (13)
  • Real Drive (26)
  • Knights of Sidonia (12)
  • Eden of the East (11)
  • The Tatami Galaxy (11)
  • Fate/Zero (13)
  • Fate/Zero 2nd Season (12)
  • From the New World (25)
  • Psycho-Pass (22)
  • Psycho-Pass 2 (11)
  • The Flowers of Evil (13)
  • Terror in Resonance (11)
  • One Punch Man (18)
  • ERASED (12)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion (26)
  • Death & Rebirth (1)
  • Rebuild of Evangelion (3)
  • Ghost in a Shell 2.0
  • Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  • The Laughing Man (summary OVA)
  • Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG
  • Individual Eleven (summary OVA)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex − Solid State Society
  • Ghost in the Shell: Arise
  • Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture (summary OVA)
  • Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie
  • Berserk (25)
  • Berserk: The Golden Age Arc (3)
  • Berserk (2016) (25)

Films (probably something I'll watch with my girlfriend)
  • Akira (1)
  • Grave of the Fireflies (1)
  • Perfect Blue (1)
  • Millennium Actress (1)
  • Voices of a Distant Star (1)
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (1)
  • Haibane Renmei (13)
  • Paprika (1)
  • The Garden of Sinners (6)
  • 5 Centimeters Per Second (1)

Lowest priority
  • Trigun (26)
  • Great Teacher Onizuka (43)
  • Saikano (13)
  • Welcome to NHK (25)
  • Moonlight Mile (26)
  • Btooom! (12)
  • Terra Formars (13)
  • Steins;Gate (25)
  • Log Horizon (25)
  • Log Horizon 2nd Season (25)
  • Monster (74)

Watched

For a more detailed list, check my
MyAnimeList list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Samkiud
MyAnimeList profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Samkiud
Last edited by Samkiud on May 27, 2016, 8:36:23 PM
Last bumped on Jul 30, 2016, 6:49:37 PM
Studio Ghibli.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
Steins;Gate should be your first stop. Best anime series made in the past 5 years. Easily.

Bought it on a whim, watched it in two days. I don't DO that with anime anymore.

This is something I'll be rewatching once a year.

Spoiler
The new Dragonball movies are actually really good. :P

Dat plot looks awesome.

I watched Death Note in 4 days.
Last edited by Samkiud on Mar 31, 2015, 9:09:10 PM
I often wonder if I should try getting into Anime, but then I remember that time I got tricked into playing Hatoful (?) Boyfriend and some messed up special needs sex game made by 4Chan.

I'm mildly intrigued by the whole thing, but also frightened.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
I often wonder if I should try getting into Anime, but then I remember that time I got tricked into playing Hatoful (?) Boyfriend and some messed up special needs sex game made by 4Chan.

u wot? Is that a black or white mentality? You don't even need to get into anime to enjoy a good anime. As I said, I don't like the anime world, but I like good stories and plots. What makes an anime anyway? Asian toons?
"
Samkiud wrote:
"

u wot? Is that a black or white mentality? You don't even need to get into anime to enjoy a good anime. As I said, I don't like the anime world, but I like good stories and plots. What makes an anime anyway? Asian toons?

My exposure is limited to the things that I have been shown by tertiary students, and hasn't exactly endeared me to that particular art form.

But, I'm relatively open minded and hear a lot of good things about some of the stories and characters - so would perhaps dip a toe in. Where to begin, etc.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Try some series that came out since fall last year.

Death Parade might be a good anime you'd like.
I'd reccomend reading The Tokyo ghoul manga, Best thing i've read.

There's alot of others, but i wont go into that >.> would have too much remembering to do.

Ugh effort
So Attack on Titan is super popular at the moment...

Attack on Titan is pretty much the only show I've enjoyed in a long while.

But I can recommend some classics for ya
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Evangelion
Hellsing

I really liked Soul Eater too, even though it was pretty wacky
I liked Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

And then there's Berserk, the movies that were made so far are pretty good, but farther along in the manga it's less good.

And that special needs sex game was barely messed up, nait.
"You can't bash someone else's shitty taste in music when you listen to 'grindcore'" -TheWretch̢
"
Fire_Kid wrote:
I liked Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

And then there's Berserk, the movies that were made so far are pretty good, but farther along in the manga it's less good.

And that special needs sex game was barely messed up, nait.

Barely or badly?

I'll give Fullmetal Alchemist a go, I've heard that name mentioned before.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info